I threatened to walk off

evemccc

Visit site
I felt like walking off the course last week.

On a boys trip to Devon and we were half way through the back 9 at Saunton. It was starting to heat up, and my playing partner’s gamesmanship went up a level, which was frustrating anyway. Instead of congratulating good shots, he was going with “that’s safe” and started piping up on my bad shots with sarcastic comments.

Earlier on in the week, he had pointed out at St Enodoc that my ball had come to rest on a “natural” pathway and gleefully declared I had to play it. I referred to the scorecard, agreed with his call and played it with minimal fuss.

Then he hit his ball onto a pathway at Saunton. He asked for relief, I read the scorecard aloud which detailed the ruling - it was as per St Enodoc, and told him he is not entitled to relief. I did however state he can drop it, if he really wants to, as he has new wedges.

He went mad - called me a cheat - the only time I have ever been called that. And told me “you’re just getting desperate because the scores are close”. He didn’t see the resemblance to the St Enodoc situation and disagreed profusely with the ruling.

I was probably 1 more comment away from just walking off, he was clearly taking it all a bit seriously, but being called a cheat doesn’t sit well with me.

In life choose your friends wisely

In golf, much the same for your playing partners

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
His sulking tactic worked then as they beat you.

some people take it far too seriously. Everyone has good rounds and holes. I’ve had an ace on an SI3 hole when I got two shots. This is why I prefer playing with familiar groups. Life is too short to be around twisters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A birdie with 2 shots...witnessed a 6 pointer a good few years back.. an Eagle with 2 shots....
Also seen my mate do that earlier this year. A par 4 where he gets 2 shots, he jarred his second shot from about 130 yards. We didn't see it go in though as you can't see the back of the green from that distance. We thought it'd gone right through, looked for it for a minute until I decided to check the hole for him 'just in case'.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
A birdie with 2 shots...witnessed a 6 pointer a good few years back.. an Eagle with 2 shots....

I had a lesser-spotted five-pointer last month (birdie on SI1 playing off 19) but I only scored 26 for the entire round.

My index is 17 point summat, I don't know if that makes me a mid- or high-handicapper but, either way, it doesn't mean I can't hit good shots, it just means I can't do it often.

Yesterday I had 16 points after six holes, then proceeded to blob three in a row and score 14 points on the back nine.

That's just handicap golf, no point in getting stressed when your opponent is having a good day. We all have them now and again.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to plead guilty to getting a 6 pointer. Par 5 at my first course, and I was a 26 hcp'er getting 2 shots on it. The hole is dead straight; bit of a dip leading up to a brow of the hill at about 220-230 yards, then down hill. Most people's drives land in up-slope leading up to the brow so stop fairly quickly. My driving was, and still is, my strong point; far better than my handicap. I hit a long straight drive that caught the down slope so went for miles. Then an 8 iron that went unusually straight to just short of the green, followed by a perfect chip. 6 points and some playing partners who got distinctly frosty with me for the rest of the round.

It's my one and only eagle in 20 odd years of playing.