Fair to be annoyed at groups teeing off late?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played today at a course very close to home, and which I’d made up my mind to join.
We booked a tee time, on the app, for 12:30 for our four-ball, and we were on time as always. There was another group of four on the tee, in no rush, discussing handicaps, deciding who goes first etc. Eventually they teed off, were slow and not good (neither am I, but I wasn’t late). After eight holes and with a three ball peppering us while we waited on fairways I decided to call it a day. It wasn’t conducive to relaxed golf. My mate persuaded me to stick with it and we skipped two holes to get in front instead.
This is the second time this has happened to me lately and it really winds me up. Not that people are thoughtless about punctuality, that’s human nature, but that the pro shop doesn’t enforce it and make them wait.
I was late once, in Portugal due to my flight being late, and the course (Laguna) couldn’t have been less helpful. They told us we’d have to wait an hour, then changed their mind and made us run to the tenth.
I think I prefer the Portuguese attitude.

D

Deleted member 23270

Did they tee off late or were they slow......or both? Can't tell from your post but they are completely different things.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
Did they tee off late or were they slow......or both? Can't tell from your post but they are completely different things.

They teed off at our tee time, or even a little later by the time they hit it (no idea what tee time they had) and they were slow. I wouldn‘t be overly stressed with one or the other, but the two together spoiled my first eight.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
If they missed their tee time they shouldn't have been allowed to tee off.

I agree, but the first tee and pro shop aren’t in the same place, so in effect you are left to your own devices, and I don’t want the confrontation of telling golfers they’re late and it’s our turn.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
OK, was the course running late or just them faffing about?

I’ve no idea how busy the course was before we played, but we had an exact tee time and the pro made no mention of a backlog.
My argument isn’t with late golfers but with those in charge not enforcing punctuality.

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree, but the first tee and pro shop aren’t in the same place, so in effect you are left to your own devices, and I don’t want the confrontation of telling golfers they’re late and it’s our turn.
What if they were due off after you and actually jumped ahead? Asking people in front what their tee off time is, politely, shouldn’t be an issue.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I played today at a course very close to home, and which I’d made up my mind to join.
We booked a tee time, on the app, for 12:30 for our four-ball, and we were on time as always. There was another group of four on the tee, in no rush, discussing handicaps, deciding who goes first etc. Eventually they teed off, were slow and not good (neither am I, but I wasn’t late). After eight holes and with a three ball peppering us while we waited on fairways I decided to call it a day. It wasn’t conducive to relaxed golf. My mate persuaded me to stick with it and we skipped two holes to get in front instead.
This is the second time this has happened to me lately and it really winds me up. Not that people are thoughtless about punctuality, that’s human nature, but that the pro shop doesn’t enforce it and make them wait.
I was late once, in Portugal due to my flight being late, and the course (Laguna) couldn’t have been less helpful. They told us we’d have to wait an hour, then changed their mind and made us run to the tenth.
I think I prefer the Portuguese attitude.
I would be more annoyed by the pepperers from behind

D

Deleted member 23270

I’ve no idea how busy the course was before we played, but we had an exact tee time and the pro made no mention of a backlog.
My argument isn’t with late golfers but with those in charge not enforcing punctuality.
If the tee was running late then it's not the fault of the group in front of you. Just trying to find out all the facts......

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I posted the other week about our Fiddles regular tee times. we are always there on time. It has been condensed even more re tee times as the women have now been given 3 x 4 ball tee times. Last week 4 women turned up. The week before 5. Clubs are desperate for tee times. Coupled with slow play and a lot of golfers are getting very very frustrated.
Me in future I would be included to say “ excuse me gents I am new here, what is your tee time as I don’t want to push in “ ?

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I posted the other week about our Fiddles regular tee times. we are always there on time. It has been condensed even more re tee times as the women have now been given 3 x 4 ball tee times. Last week 4 women turned up. The week before 5. Clubs are desperate for tee times. Coupled with slow play and a lot of golfers are getting very very frustrated.
Me in future I would be included to say “ excuse me gents I am new here, what is your tee time as I don’t want to push in “ ?

I know these things will happen but surely it’s all about ’priority’. If you’re group are late, there may well be a good reason, but it’s NOT MY FAULT . If you have to wait whilst six other groups tee off in front of you, that’s life ??‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know these things will happen but surely it’s all about ’priority’. If you’re group are late, there may well be a good reason, but it’s NOT MY FAULT . If you have to wait whilst six other groups tee off in front of you, that’s life ??‍♂️
I didn’t mean it was your fault, thats why I said I would ask in future what the group in fronts tee time is. They could be late because the groups in front of them were late. A knock on effect. ?
A month or so ago. The women had 1 tee times booked in front of us. 6 women turned up. They went out in two 3 balls. We had three tee times and 14 of us turned up. One of our lads went to the women on the putting green before they teed of and politely said “ You have and extra tee time as we do, we need to be quick off the tee or Else those that have a later tee time will be late And it won’t be fair on them”. When we got to our tee they were pointing at him and talking about him. He walked straight over to them and asked what the problem was. “ They said “ you did not have to say anything, as we understood the situation”. he said “obviously not because the group in front of you are walking off the first green and you have not got your clubs out yet”.

Last edited:

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I didn’t mean it was your fault, thats why I said I would ask in future what the group in fronts tee time is. They could be late because the groups in front of them were late. A knock on effect. ?
A month or so ago. The women had 1 tee times booked in front of us. 6 women turned up. They went out in two 3 balls. We had three tee times and 14 of us turned up. One of our lads went to the women on the putting green before they teed of and politely said “ You have and extra tee time as we do, we need to be quick off the tee or Else those that have a later tee time will be late And it won’t be fair on them”. When we got to our tee they were pointing at him and talking about him. He walked straight over to them and asked what the problem was. “ They said “ you did not have to say anything, as we understood the situation”. he said “obviously not because the group in front of you are walking off the first green and you have not got your clubs out yet”.

Sorry, I definitely wasn’t suggesting that you thought it was my fault. I highlighted it for effect, but I agreed totally with your original point. I obviously didn’t make that clear.
I’m all for throwing off some of the old school stuff around dress codes etc, but without some rules (maybe the wrong word) the enjoyment is reduced, and golf is hard enough without feeling p*@#ed off as you play.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d be more pissed at the three ball peppering me if it was clear that you were waiting, You done well to hold your head and not send it back at them!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’d be more pissed at the three ball peppering me if it was clear that you were waiting, You done well to hold your head and not send it back at them!

Same here. One ball landing in my vicinity can be considered a mistake and will result in some arm waving and a quiet word if the opportunity presents itself. A second incident will result in a missing or maybe a polite message left on the offending ball. I’ve never had a third fired at me.