I threatened to walk off

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a senior friendly yesterday and was paired with a 21handicap receiving 17 shots and on the 538 yard par 5 he put his 2nd to 4ft so Nett 1 :).One of our opponents walked off ,sorry stormed off to the next tee whilst his partner stayed.
I told his partner if he does it again I will walk off.
Imo it was disrespectful and out of line.
It wasn’t just a walk off it was a proper sulk.
Anyway we lost.
We were actually the last to leave the clubhouse as we were having a good chin wag.
Christ though the fairways were running stupidly fast.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I once played in a match against a low handicap senior county player when he found he was paired with a 28 handicap player who had only been playing for a few weeks he was so annoyed he barely spoke to his partner and on one green he even picked up his partners ball when the partner had a putt for the half.

We won the match more because of his poor attitude rather than we played better.

Funny thing when we played the return match one of the players was the 28 handicap player . A really nice guy who just was a bit upset by the other guy in the match at our place.

Visit site
I felt like walking off the course last week.

On a boys trip to Devon and we were half way through the back 9 at Saunton. It was starting to heat up, and my playing partner’s gamesmanship went up a level, which was frustrating anyway. Instead of congratulating good shots, he was going with “that’s safe” and started piping up on my bad shots with sarcastic comments.

Earlier on in the week, he had pointed out at St Enodoc that my ball had come to rest on a “natural” pathway and gleefully declared I had to play it. I referred to the scorecard, agreed with his call and played it with minimal fuss.

Then he hit his ball onto a pathway at Saunton. He asked for relief, I read the scorecard aloud which detailed the ruling - it was as per St Enodoc, and told him he is not entitled to relief. I did however state he can drop it, if he really wants to, as he has new wedges.

He went mad - called me a cheat - the only time I have ever been called that. And told me “you’re just getting desperate because the scores are close”. He didn’t see the resemblance to the St Enodoc situation and disagreed profusely with the ruling.

I was probably 1 more comment away from just walking off, he was clearly taking it all a bit seriously, but being called a cheat doesn’t sit well with me.

Golfman15

Visit site
This season I have been playing in our seniors team and this type of issue has surfaced several times, where high handicappers appear to be playing well above their ’expected‘ level.
At times I have found it frustrating when opponents are on the green with 2 putts for net birdie or eagle, but in the end realised getting upset is not going to help me play any better and it is more sensible to judge opponents true ability over 18 holes rather than one or two wonder shots.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

On a boys trip to Devon and we were half way through the back 9 at Saunton. It was starting to heat up, and my playing partner’s gamesmanship went up a level, which was frustrating anyway. Instead of congratulating good shots, he was going with “that’s safe” and started piping up on my bad shots with sarcastic comments.

Earlier on in the week, he had pointed out at St Enodoc that my ball had come to rest on a “natural” pathway and gleefully declared I had to play it. I referred to the scorecard, agreed with his call and played it with minimal fuss.

Then he hit his ball onto a pathway at Saunton. He asked for relief, I read the scorecard aloud which detailed the ruling - it was as per St Enodoc, and told him he is not entitled to relief. I did however state he can drop it, if he really wants to, as he has new wedges.

He went mad - called me a cheat - the only time I have ever been called that. And told me “you’re just getting desperate because the scores are close”. He didn’t see the resemblance to the St Enodoc situation and disagreed profusely with the ruling.

I was probably 1 more comment away from just walking off, he was clearly taking it all a bit seriously, but being called a cheat doesn’t sit well with me.
If anyone called me a cheat I too would be tempted to walk off.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Should have just laughed at him & not let him spoil your fun.
I could never take golf that serious.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played in a senior friendly yesterday and was paired with a 21handicap receiving 17 shots and on the 538 yard par 5 he put his 2nd to 4ft so Nett 1 :).One of our opponents walked off ,sorry stormed off to the next tee whilst his partner stayed.
I told his partner if he does it again I will walk off.
Imo it was disrespectful and out of line.
It wasn’t just a walk off it was a proper sulk.
Anyway we lost.
We were actually the last to leave the clubhouse as we were having a good chin wag.
Christ though the fairways were running stupidly fast.

Not the correct approach but I’d feel similar if someone was gimme distance for nett 2, I’d just condone myself a little better.

What he’s failed to acknowledge is the run on the ball making courses a lot shorter, also he could have had a lucky bounce to end there.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I do wonder at some people getting so uptight re high handicaps. There are two types. One hits is max 150 yds but straightish. Rarely gross pars.
Others hit it reasonably big ,but go awol often.
E.g. On our course, one hole is 460. It's a senior par 5.
One time , playing alone , I played it like this.
1st tee shot ....off piste to the right clearly lost in the jungle.
2nd tee shot .....off piste to the right clearly lost in the jungle!
3rd tee shot......straight down the middle , longish.
Next shot .. wood longish to green 10 ft from hole.
Next shot ...putted into the hole!

Point I'm making is that it's obvious why I'm a high handicap. But I've parred every hole one time or another , and birdied most.
I have won a comp with 45 points.
Last week I came next to last ..scored wrong side of hundred in a medal.

So, in golf it can be... "Every dog......"

No need for players getting narked and rude!

gopher99

Visit site
I do wonder at some people getting so uptight re high handicaps. There are two types. One hits is max 150 yds but straightish. Rarely gross pars.

Point I'm making is that it's obvious why I'm a high handicap. But I've parred every hole one time or another , and birdied most.

You have saved me writing nearly the same thing.?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Sums me up perfectly. On a good day I can strike the ball very well, but not consistently. Scored 41pts in the comp last Saurday (stableford) and on the last six holes my points scored were 4, 4, blob, 5, 3 & 2. Had two blobs earlier in the round as well. A 93 would get me a net par, but I am far more likely to break 100 than go under 90.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m starting to see both sides now. Spent a couple of years as a high handicapper, did well in a couple of comps, got ‘jokingly’ called a bandit etc, but really I was just improving faster than my handicap was dropping. Now I’m mid handicap I’m seeing the other side a bit, sometimes getting a biy miffed when an opponent birdies a hole for a net eagle, hits a wedge to 2 feet or whatever. But then I remember that it does tend to even itself out overall, they’ll have more bad than good etc etc. We’ve all been there I guess.

Funny old game.

RRidges

Visit site

See post 2!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One guy the other day got 4 for 6, I was trying to work out how i would get six points on a hole and basically it would be hole in one on a par 4 or par 5 stroke 1 to 3. You have to love this game?.

Golf is a great game where handicaps level the field. ???