I might be able to play pitch & putt!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Anyone who knows me is aware of my shanking problem. It can go away for a week or two then return with a vengeance. Then the anxiety takes over & I can't stand over a shot without thinking about it. Last year on holiday my daughter persuaded me to take her for a game of pitch & putt in the park at Ambleside. All went well until the 3rd, when I shanked one onto the tennis court. Fortunately no one was playing tennis at the time but I had to walk round two sides of the court to get in through the gate & retrieve the ball. I teed it up again & did a repeat of the previous shot. I had to do the walk of shame again to the resounding laughter of aforesaid daughter, who thought the whole thing was hilarious.

On the next hole we turned 90° left & I negotiated that one OK. Then another 90° turn & we were playing a hole with a boundary wall down the right hand side, with cars parked next to it. The first shot cleared the wall but fortunately missed the cars. By the end of the round I was a nervous wreck.

On the onset of the lockdown my kind driving range proprietor friend gifted me a net & a range mat enabling me to practise in the garden. I couldn't do this before because my shanks resulted in balls hitting the conservatory windows. So I got out my copy of Stan Utley's "Art of the Short Game". He holds the record for the lowest number of putts for 9 holes on the PGA tour, 6 in total, including a chip in & two holed bunker shots.

Utley says that, for medium & short pitches, the main mover of the club should be the pivot. He says the wrist should break but that the grip end of the club shouldn't move too far at all. He says that, at impact there should be no lag & that the wrists should fully uncock, with the clubhead passing the hands. This uses the bounce of the club & that, even if the strike isn't perfect, the bounce of the club will ensure a good impact. He also mentioned that, if the wrists aren't fully uncocked, you can get a shot which flies right off a severely open face, which looks very like a shank. This really struck a chord with me & I think it explains a lot, but not all, of the dreaded shots. The feeling is quite weird but the method works. I still get the odd wrong 'un but it's invariably caused by not releasing the wrists, reverting to the old swing.

Utley's method for the chip is basically the same, square stance, square face. Same pivot but maintain the wrist cock & keep the hands ahead of the ball at impact & beyond. This seems to work too.

The test will be whether this works under pressure but I think I'll feel more confident at least. Well see once golf gets the go ahead. Unfortunately, next month's holiday is cancelled but I'm optimistic of being able to play a decent round of pitch & putt next time we go away.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Long post ?
I've also chipped and pitched with the feeling that the top of the club is not moving laterally, just pivoting. It's a weird feeling but it can certainly work well and it's a very legitimate way of doing it. If it works for you, stick with it ?.

I was watching a YouTube video of a match between Hogan & Gene Sarazen & it was noticeable how wristy they were when playing short, flighted pitches. Much more so than modern players. It just makes me wonder whether this is a more reliable method for the less able player.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I took up the Stan Utley method and it worked great for a few years, then I started yipping chips and now I just can't do the pivot method consistently.
No matter how hard I try and how much I concentrate I find my arms and hands pulling the club through with disastrous results.

I've been practicing in the garden during lockdown and I'm improving but you can bet that as soon as I'm on the course the pivot will vanish and I'll yip it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I took up the Stan Utley method and it worked great for a few years, then I started yipping chips and now I just can't do the pivot method consistently.
No matter how hard I try and how much I concentrate I find my arms and hands pulling the club through with disastrous results.

I've been practicing in the garden during lockdown and I'm improving but you can bet that as soon as I'm on the course the pivot will vanish and I'll yip it.

Not the sort of thing I want to hear!

D

Deleted member 1147

I was watching a YouTube video of a match between Hogan & Gene Sarazen & it was noticeable how wristy they were when playing short, flighted pitches. Much more so than modern players. It just makes me wonder whether this is a more reliable method for the less able player.
Watch Lowry, a beautiful pitcher of a ball, he’s quite wristy compared to some modern players (Day &Stricker for example)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
been using a net a fair bit and found the reason for my odd sherman, which is early extension, but always thought is was coming from the inside to much, esp when chipping.

as you prob know they can be caused by many things, finding thses out, it might be more than one thing

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
been using a net a fair bit and found the reason for my odd sherman, which is early extension, but always thought is was coming from the inside to much, esp when chipping.

as you prob know they can be caused by many things, finding thses out, it might be more than one thing

That was the cause of mine, though only on full shots. (Doh! :censored: )

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, about two years ago I had the dreaded shanks with anything from PW-58º. Drove me insane! Hope it stops when we get back!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone who knows me is aware of my shanking problem. It can go away for a week or two then return with a vengeance. Then the anxiety takes over & I can't stand over a shot without thinking about it. Last year on holiday my daughter persuaded me to take her for a game of pitch & putt in the park at Ambleside. All went well until the 3rd, when I shanked one onto the tennis court. Fortunately no one was playing tennis at the time but I had to walk round two sides of the court to get in through the gate & retrieve the ball. I teed it up again & did a repeat of the previous shot. I had to do the walk of shame again to the resounding laughter of aforesaid daughter, who thought the whole thing was hilarious.

On the next hole we turned 90° left & I negotiated that one OK. Then another 90° turn & we were playing a hole with a boundary wall down the right hand side, with cars parked next to it. The first shot cleared the wall but fortunately missed the cars. By the end of the round I was a nervous wreck.

On the onset of the lockdown my kind driving range proprietor friend gifted me a net & a range mat enabling me to practise in the garden. I couldn't do this before because my shanks resulted in balls hitting the conservatory windows. So I got out my copy of Stan Utley's "Art of the Short Game". He holds the record for the lowest number of putts for 9 holes on the PGA tour, 6 in total, including a chip in & two holed bunker shots.

Utley says that, for medium & short pitches, the main mover of the club should be the pivot. He says the wrist should break but that the grip end of the club shouldn't move too far at all. He says that, at impact there should be no lag & that the wrists should fully uncock, with the clubhead passing the hands. This uses the bounce of the club & that, even if the strike isn't perfect, the bounce of the club will ensure a good impact. He also mentioned that, if the wrists aren't fully uncocked, you can get a shot which flies right off a severely open face, which looks very like a shank. This really struck a chord with me & I think it explains a lot, but not all, of the dreaded shots. The feeling is quite weird but the method works. I still get the odd wrong 'un but it's invariably caused by not releasing the wrists, reverting to the old swing.

Utley's method for the chip is basically the same, square stance, square face. Same pivot but maintain the wrist cock & keep the hands ahead of the ball at impact & beyond. This seems to work too.

The test will be whether this works under pressure but I think I'll feel more confident at least. Well see once golf gets the go ahead. Unfortunately, next month's holiday is cancelled but I'm optimistic of being able to play a decent round of pitch & putt next time we go away.
Best of luck! Nothing worse in the game than them bleeders

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What do you mean by the pivot? What is pivoting around what. You mean rotation of the shoulders around the spine?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
What do you mean by the pivot? What is pivoting around what. You mean rotation of the shoulders around the spine?

Pivoting on your lead leg (left leg for a right hander) so your body turns towards the target, you effectively use the larger core muscles to power the stroke rather than the arms and hands.
It's hard to visualise but once you feel it correctly it's a great way of controlling the shot length, there are a lot of videos with Stan Utley on YouTube which will explain it better.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well there you go, three completely different answers ??

Short Game is an art.
Without feel and skill in the hands, everything else is irrelevant.

Haha ? Was thinking the same thing as I read your post.
it’s hard to envisage how the club is a pivot.
If short game is an art. Then that must make me a preschooler with some paint and a potato.