I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Knock about game today, very happy with 21 points out 17 back.

High point was a SW on the 8th from a crap lie almost in a hedge that landed on the green and ran perfectly into the hole for birdie.

Low point was playing the wrong ball from the rough on the 10th. Found an AD333, same scuffed look as mine, even had faded red lines like mine, chopped it out okay but then saw it wasn't my initials written on it but a circle round the number, blob.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Some of the vigilant will have seen I posted about a new swing concept I was trying called Eureka Golf (
). No instruction just watched two videos and put it into action. The reasoning behind it being it is supposed to be better for senior golfers and those with a bad back. Tick and tick. My back has hampered my golf for the last few years and I am struggling with a "proper" turn and to play more than once or twice consecutively or to hit balls

I am only 3 weeks into this. I hit a bucket at the start to try it out and work out what I was doing. I have then played a couple of times and been just a couple of points over handicap, more down to poor chipping and putting. However, I played Saturday in the very cold and windy conditions and shot 39 points off the white tees (furthest) with two blobs, including the shortest hole courtesy of a 3 putt. Won the monthly stableford and qualified for the end of season Masters event as a comp winner (senior and midweek comps don't qualify - don't ask me why). I then went out in the usual Sunday roll yesterday with the boys and shot 40 points and still chucked a blob in. And yesterday was even colder in that north wind!!!!!

Suffice to say I am not sure this is still a honeymoon period or I have stumbled something that suits my own swing quirks honed over 45 years and not for changing at this stage. I have played Friday (just a fun team event so took the opportunity to play around with all things pitching and chipping) and both days of the weekend and while the back is tight it isn't painful.

All in all it is fair to say my golfing mojo is back and off the scale. It is a "out there" method and I was sceptical but needed to find a way to take the pressure off the lower back when swinging. I have noticed despite the strong winds and a lot of our driving holes being predominantly into the wind Arcoss is showing my average distances with all clubs has increased. Misses are not so wild and I have predominantly taken the right side out of play. A very happy (at least for now) golfer
Thanks for posting the link, had some very good results trying it out.👍🏻

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a friendly match today.
We were 4 under gross but were beaten 2 and one ops were 6 under gross.
Best golf Match I have been in for years.
Even though we lost I really enjoyed it.
And it was nice and sunny.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Quick 9 holes before work, course has dried well, happy with +3 ahead of a comp on Sunday considering I've not touched a club for 2.5wks.

Springveldt

Visit site
Thanks for posting the link, had some very good results trying it out.👍🏻
Tried it out tonight as well. Was striking the ball poorly to begin the round but scrambling was saving me. Thought I’d give this setup a go halfway down the 5th as my ball striking couldn’t get any worse and it totally transformed my round, had my best ball striking round in probably a year. Drives were arrow straight and irons either straight or a slight draw.

Ended up shooting +4 and pretty excited to try it out next round to see if it was just a fluke or not.

Felt weird setting up open with the feet as my miss is typically a pull left as I’m over the top. This setup neutralised my swing path completely, I was taking shallower divots again and the flatter swing plane suits my more rotund body.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Tried it out tonight as well. Was striking the ball poorly to begin the round but scrambling was saving me. Thought I’d give this setup a go halfway down the 5th as my ball striking couldn’t get any worse and it totally transformed my round, had my best ball striking round in probably a year. Drives were arrow straight and irons either straight or a slight draw.

Ended up shooting +4 and pretty excited to try it out next round to see if it was just a fluke or not.

Felt weird setting up open with the feet as my miss is typically a pull left as I’m over the top. This setup neutralised my swing path completely, I was taking shallower divots again and the flatter swing plane suits my more rotund body.
My Irons were definitely straighter and I think longer, but was quite windy, so was going down a Club and getting some great results.
Didn’t have the same results with Driver, but that was my confidence.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

How do you find out what it is?? I thought he was going to explain it on the video..😂

Springveldt

Visit site
How do you find out what it is?? I thought he was going to explain it on the video..😂
I’ve been watching Steve’s channel for years so knew all about it but just never tried it due to my miss being a pull and the feet pointing left terrified me.

I think it was the flatter swing plane and the feeling of taking the club back slightly inside that really helped me. In saying that I’ll probably shoot 90 at the weekend now.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve been watching Steve’s channel for years so knew all about it but just never tried it due to my miss being a pull and the feet pointing left terrified me.

I think it was the flatter swing plane and the feeling of taking the club back slightly inside that really helped me. In saying that I’ll probably shoot 90 at the weekend now.
I took a bucket onto the range a couple of weeks ago to give it ago, primarily as it is supposed to be good for those with bad backs. I'd only watched tow short videos and like you was very worried about an open stance and the idea of having the club pointing right (as per one of the videos although another had a square face) and then swinging very flat. I simply couldn't get my head around how it could work. I hit the ball great almost from the start and even managed to get the driver working. I thought this has to be voodoo. I took it on the course that weekend and shot 34 points and the dropped shots were mainly around silly mistakes. Only one bad swing.

I had 34 point the next day and then 39 points (2 blobs) in the comp which I won (division 1) and qualified for the season end Masters and then took the pot in the Sunday roll up. Put simply it is working. I played with some guys I've known for years and they said it was the best I've ever hit it. I will hit some balls again tomorrow after work to keep it ticking over and then we've a Saturday roll up and a medal on Sunday. The flatter swing definitely works. Around a decade ago I was working with a local teaching pro and we were working on the Swing Plane system (Jim Hardy) and a one plane swing so this resonates with the stuff I was doing then so I feel the flat swing quite a natural feeling although I do have to focus on the takeaway to get some bow in lead wrist but also not to slip into a more standard, straighter takeaway and ensure it tracks the path of the alignment stick but other than that it is all good

PaulMdj

Visit site
I took a bucket onto the range a couple of weeks ago to give it ago, primarily as it is supposed to be good for those with bad backs. I'd only watched tow short videos and like you was very worried about an open stance and the idea of having the club pointing right (as per one of the videos although another had a square face) and then swinging very flat. I simply couldn't get my head around how it could work. I hit the ball great almost from the start and even managed to get the driver working. I thought this has to be voodoo. I took it on the course that weekend and shot 34 points and the dropped shots were mainly around silly mistakes. Only one bad swing.

I had 34 point the next day and then 39 points (2 blobs) in the comp which I won (division 1) and qualified for the season end Masters and then took the pot in the Sunday roll up. Put simply it is working. I played with some guys I've known for years and they said it was the best I've ever hit it. I will hit some balls again tomorrow after work to keep it ticking over and then we've a Saturday roll up and a medal on Sunday. The flatter swing definitely works. Around a decade ago I was working with a local teaching pro and we were working on the Swing Plane system (Jim Hardy) and a one plane swing so this resonates with the stuff I was doing then so I feel the flat swing quite a natural feeling although I do have to focus on the takeaway to get some bow in lead wrist but also not to slip into a more standard, straighter takeaway and ensure it tracks the path of the alignment stick but other than that it is all good
Did you find it was more the compressing of the ball that made the difference, ie, the “S” bend rather than the swing?

Getting the Club back at hip height and right elbow seems to get me into a good position.

This video is the one which has helped more thsn others:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you find it was more the compressing of the ball that made the difference, ie, the “S” bend rather than the swing?

Getting the Club back at hip height and right elbow seems to get me into a good position.

This video is the one which has helped more thsn others:
To be fair I am not getting over technical with this. I am finding the correct takeaway and set up is sufficient as I'm having more room to swing and so assuming compression is coming as a default and certainly not trying to make the bend and again assuming I am achieving this as a default. Whatever it is I am hitting longer and dispersion is tighter and so I am not going to over think it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played last night and on the 161 yard par 3 4th, pulled out my 6i and sent one arrowing towards the front centre pin. First bounce looked to be at the very bottom of the flagstick and the ball bounced back and rolled off the front of the green. When we got to the hole, we saw the ball had actually hit the very edge of the hole and left a pitch mark on the rim of the hole. Still waiting for that elusive hole in oneIMG_1075.jpeg

PaulMdj

Visit site
To be fair I am not getting over technical with this. I am finding the correct takeaway and set up is sufficient as I'm having more room to swing and so assuming compression is coming as a default and certainly not trying to make the bend and again assuming I am achieving this as a default. Whatever it is I am hitting longer and dispersion is tighter and so I am not going to over think it
Certainly not overthinking it is the way forward, I’m just the opposite to you, the takeaway and set up I don’t think about, just the impact position.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Millionaires golf for me tonight. Only car in the car park, only person on the course. Decided to practice 3 wood off the tee and following a recent thread teed it up a little higher. Worked wonderfully well, I'm keeping that.

Irons were solid, putting was good, but then it always is when I'm on my own and the pressure is off.

A very enjoyable 9 holes 😃

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Played in the N. E. Fire Service Spring Stableford at South Shields today, my first competitive round of the year.

The day was great, blue skies with all the rain clouds scudding by way out west. A cold, two club wind out of the north made life difficult, but to compensate the course was, as ever, in fabulous condition with true and quick greens, fast running fairways and really good bunkers, if such a thing exists.

I shot an 80 which was a nice way to start the season.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
13 holes tonight with the boy. It was cold and windy to start, then it just stopped and was flat calm. I hit everything from the driver to putter left of left. Very frustrating.

The boy played well again, had nothing worse than an 8, but had 3 penalties and missed 3 very short putts. He’ll get pulled another couple of shots though.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Team comp this morning. An am-am, two from four. Beautiful weather, if a bit cold. We were second out at 7.40am. A whopping 4 hours, 45 minutes.

Lots of new members have joined during the last few months whilst so many courses have been shut and we’ve been largely playable, and we have always allowed groups to book tee times ahead of comps - members and visitors alike.

Alas, there are a lot of new faces who have no interest in comps, as is their right, but they have equally little interest in the world around them. They amble around the course, no urgency in anything they do, and the 4-ball which started at 7.10am set the pace, losing over two holes on the group ahead of them.

The atmosphere in the clubhouse afterwards was a little tense, shall we say. By the time half a dozen comp groups had come in their rounds were already 5+ hours. I shudder to think how long it was taking at the back of the field.

Suffice to say there was a steady stream of disgruntled members beating a path to the club manager’s office, primarily to implore him to do away with the starter and employ a course marshall instead.

No idea what we scored. It was all about survival.
I experienced this only once. We were out early and did a 5 hour round. As we came in groups were walking off. 3 hours for 9 holes!!!!!