I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great to hear. Many at mine are refusing to play MP due to stupid hcs. High hcs have them coz they usually struggle. Well done
Thanks. He is fairly new to golf and he seemed a little nervous which obviously didnā€™t help him. He won a long par 3 with an absolutely outrageous putt. Duffed his tee shot about 50 yards. Next shot ended up just off the green about 30 foot from the hole. Then he holed the putt.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played in a seniors comp yesterday. Course still not up to handicap qualifying standard - placing in the general area - non-qualifying.
I was in second 3-ball at 8:18am. Temperature 4Ā° feels like 2Ā° wind from the NW. Only 28 entered.

After entering our scores, I joked to the group behind us that I was leader in the clubhouse (6 scores in) with 29 points.
Later in the afternoon I saw that I had finished tied 1st place, placed 2nd due to the 20 handicap winner having 19 points back nine (yes, 10 front nine) against my 16 points.

I got a 2 on the longest of our par-3s where I hit a 2-iron (1990s powerbilt oversize) to 10 feet. Only 2 others got a 2. (Ā£9.33 pro-shop credit)
That's 2 comps entered so far, got a 2 in both and some more pro-shop credit for a 2nd place. Kerching!

EDIT: I forgot about an AmAm 2 weeks ago where the team I was in came third out of 26 teams. Must ask in the pro-shop what my balance is.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Drawn 4BBB seniors pairs comp today, looks like me and my partner have won with 44 points.

I think this triggers a potential handicap cut, but see my post in WHS doesn't work thread.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
First game in over five weeks, and 37 points and a nice win on the last.

Course looks stunning with all the work to the bunkers complete. Lovely white sand but it does seem to attract my ball. :(

No mud on my shoes or trousers a bonus.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played 4 times this week and failed to break 80 each time..
To be fair, our greens have been top dressed and not perfect but....
As a result the index is up and could go higher next time out....
Need to find some consistency from somewhere

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors Open at Seahouses today. Weather was lovely, lots of sunshine and not much wind. Course was in great nick.

Played ok, a few loose shots, but generally decent. Struggling a bit with the short game, some practice definitely needed. Highlight was a great birdie on the 16th, which has a blind 2nd shot into a very tricky green.

Thoroughly enjoyable day, and the post-game pint on the balcony was bliss.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How did you score on those 2 great par 3s ?
Donā€™t ask!

The 10th I hit a decent shot, it agonisingly was about 3 inches short of being perfect, hit the far bank and dropped back into the water. Dropped one, took a 6 for nil points.

The 15th, the tee was very close to the cliff edge, a couple of feet away from a big drop. Iā€™m not great with heights, it freaked me out , and I pulled it into the sea. Didnā€™t bother hitting a second onešŸ„“

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
today I played in the first shield match of the season at Bolton golf club, the course was in good condition considering, although there were muddy patches, although I played decently in yesterdays medal I couldn't get going today, I was giving 4 shots and I lost the first four holes none of which were shot holes, I did get back to 2 down at one point but to be honest the only holes I won were when my opponent 3 putted, I eventually lost 5&3 as did the next of our team to finish, however our remaining 3 players all won so the team recorded a good away win to get us off to a good start.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Second comp of the year yesterday. A Stableford. It was freezing and the wind was from the direction that makes the course play its hardest. Greens were really good and hard to believe how dry the course is now. Best score in was 39, then a 34 and myself and one other on 33. PCC went up by 2 which means I lose another 0.1 off my HI. The bubble must be going to burst soon.

RichA

Visit site
Played Maesdu GC in Llandudno yesterday in a pairs comp. It's a beautifully kept course in an absolutely stunning landscape.
Neither of us played well but we dovetailed purely by chance and walked off with 41 points.
Anglesey GC this afternoon.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A game of two halves. Front 9, probably the best I've played there. Straight drives, good hybrids, short game was on it, putted like a proper player šŸ˜„.

Back 9, šŸ˜­. Absolute blow up. 4 double bogeys on the trot. Shoddy shots, lost my putting touch. So disappointing. End score was okay but a round of what ifs šŸ˜”

PaulMdj

Visit site
First Ind board comp today, great front 9 and then the wheels came off, no idea why, but weather good.

Another plus was playing with a 25 handicapper who thinks he should par every hole and gets upset when ā€œonlyā€ getting a bogey.šŸ™„

Springveldt

Visit site
Was supposed to play in the comp tomorrow but the forecast looks horrific so we played this morning instead. 2 general play rounds in a row submitted now for me, a new record.

Tried the Eureka swing again today with mixed results. Hit the driver ok in that I never had a single drive (15 in total, only 2 par 3ā€™s on the course) go more than 20 yards from where I was aiming but I think I canā€™t get a complete turn with this swing as I lost a decent amount of distance.Hit a single 3 wood ā€œfor safetyā€ and promptly had to reload.

Irons on the other hand were complete hit and miss, hit quite a few dead left pulls and my short game was crap so ended up signing for a +9, 7.2 differential and not a counting score.

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Friday at Mowsbury GC in Bedford with my work society. I play off 9 due to good results last year, really struggled to score on the course, despite feeling like I played quite well - the greens were horrific and very slow and that definitely didn't help.

Yesterday I played in the first round of a mid-handicap knockout, both of us off 14 which was nice as we didn't have to worry about shots. The first four holes went back and forth between us but then I had a stretch of being 1 under for 5 holes and steamed into a 4 up lead. We hit the 13th and I was 5 up with 6 to play and we walked off the green back to the clubhouse with my opponent shellshocked :cool:

RichA

Visit site
We played The Anglesey GC yesterday on day 2 of our North Wales pairs comp.
A nice course, but I didn't love it. It self-describes as the only links course on Anglesey, but I don't recall ever actually getting a view of the sea. It's flat, but there are enough small hillocks and mounds that you often didn't see where your ball ended - lots of blind tee shots. Strangely exhausting too, considering the flatness. And I still can't hit an iron to save my life, which didn't help.
Bull Bay today, which looks lovely in the photos I've seen.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Board individual medal comp. Weather not nice to start with, tidied itself up a bit later on. Bit careless at times and finished two over PH - stillā€¦likely in top 20 nettā€¦which is OK.

But even without any PCC (which may be applied) I think I will see my HI drop 0.1 to another WHS low. And off forward tees my CH is now 5 and thatā€™s my lowest handicap ever. Off whites still 7 but just a few points off 6. So onwards and downwards šŸ‘

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We played The Anglesey GC yesterday on day 2 of our North Wales pairs comp.
A nice course, but I didn't love it. It self-describes as the only links course on Anglesey, but I don't recall ever actually getting a view of the sea. It's flat, but there are enough small hillocks and mounds that you often didn't see where your ball ended - lots of blind tee shots. Strangely exhausting too, considering the flatness. And I still can't hit an iron to save my life, which didn't help.
Bull Bay today, which looks lovely in the photos I've seen.

I enjoyed Anglesey, rough around the edges like a links should be.
Bull Bay is good too, tough if the wind gets up though!