I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
BOSS Trophy, man vs women. 4BBB, full handicap off the lowest and the ladies get an extra shot.
One of the ladies dropped out, so we had to mix it up more than we'd have liked. I played against 2 women, then 1 lady against 2 men in the next two groups and then 2 fourballs.
I discovered I was giving one of the ladies 37 shots!!! 2 on every hole and 3 on the 14th (which I managed to win!).
Was 4 down at one point and then dormie 3. Fought back but lost on the last l, to the other lady, who got 10 shots.
I checked my score afterwards and realised I'd shot 2 under handicap! Happy enough.
Then discovered while I'd played 2 v1, the other 2 3balls played 1v1 and 1 just knocking it round. Bugger!
Ladies won 3 matches to 2.

D

Deleted member 23270

Stupid frustrating game. Crap front 9 followed by 9 straight pars on the back 🤦‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a good start of 3 pars in the first 4 holes. Shocking double on the 5th when greenside in two - parred 6th but then suddenly my driver massively let me down for two holes and I went double, triple. Back nine was pretty steady, a couple more doubles, fatted pitches, short putts missed - typical winter golf stuff. Hit my shot of the day on the 18th putting it to 18 inches for a tap-in birdie (still nearly missed).

Shot 83 like I do almost every week, for 35 points. Stableford comp so card has gone in, I'll either stay the same or go up 0.1.

Just an annoying game. Wish I knew what to do to improve at this point. Driver is great, until it isn't, chipping is good, until it isn't. Putting is sometimes good and then it's terrible. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjw

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a good start of 3 pars in the first 4 holes. Shocking double on the 5th when greenside in two - parred 6th but then suddenly my driver massively let me down for two holes and I went double, triple. Back nine was pretty steady, a couple more doubles, fatted pitches, short putts missed - typical winter golf stuff. Hit my shot of the day on the 18th putting it to 18 inches for a tap-in birdie (still nearly missed).

Shot 83 like I do almost every week, for 35 points. Stableford comp so card has gone in, I'll either stay the same or go up 0.1.

Just an annoying game. Which I knew what to do to improve at this point. Driver is great, until it isn't, chipping is good, until it isn't. Putting is sometimes good and then it's terrible. Jack of all trades, master of none

It’s like you’re a mid teen handicapper who doesn’t practise

D

Deleted member 1147

Just an annoying game. Which I knew what to do to improve at this point. Driver is great, until it isn't, chipping is good, until it isn't. Putting is sometimes good and then it's terrible. Jack of all trades, master of none.
Would seem your handicap is about right if you normally shoot approx 83, for 35 points.
We all have a situation where one part of the game is off. My wedge play, normally a strength, was rank on Saturday. But the rest of my game was good enough for 76/35 points.
It’s all a matter of limiting the cost of poor play. As Steve says, practice is important for that. Either pounding balls on the range, or as I do, on course practice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would seem your handicap is about right if you normally shoot approx 83, for 35 points.
We all have a situation where one part of the game is off. My wedge play, normally a strength, was rank on Saturday. But the rest of my game was good enough for 76/35 points.
It’s all a matter of limiting the cost of poor play. As Steve says, practice is important for that. Either pounding balls on the range, or as I do, on course practice.
But I'm saying mine is the opposite. I can do everything well some of the time, but all of it lets me down at different times. Contrast to some people who have a clear weakness, be it losing balls with driver or short-game - at least they know what to work on first!

D

Deleted member 1147

But I'm saying mine is the opposite. I can do everything well some of the time, but all of it lets me down at different times. Contrast to some people who have a clear weakness, be it losing balls with driver or short-game - at least they know what to work on first!
When my whole game is in disarray it’s normal that I got too handsy and am reliant on timing rather than body turn.

D

Deleted member 23270

It's not like that. Even low guys have days where their strengths go missing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played yesterday with the youth and a southerner - it was actually quite enjoyable, surprisingly.... ;)

Driver was hopeless until the 11th hole, then I didn't really hit a bad one. Darts fired into pretty much every green but had 38 putts - we were the first group out and just felt a tad rushed to keep a decent pace up which possibly affected my putting.

sjw

Visit site
Two rounds at the weekend, both 100+, and on Saturday I had such a horrific slice with driver I actually checked to see that it wasn't broken! Went to the range Saturday evening and tried to work it out, and it was better, but on Sunday the first two tee shots were absolutely wild again. I did manage to get that back to a fade rather than a slice, but my iron strike had completely deserted me for all but a couple of shots as well. It's so annoying as I'm off the back of a few range sessions where things have really clicked. There is something about the ball sitting on the sticky, slightly uneven ground that gets in my head and I have no confidence that I'm going to hit it well. After a few poor shots I just have no faith that I'm going to strike the ball well, I can't visualise the club getting the ball off the ground. I then don't compress the ball enough for fear of it just splatting into the ground and end up thinning it and coming up way low and short.

You'd think it'd be fairly easy to fix, but we know that's not the case with golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For the first time in a long time I played well really well. Team comp, best two from Four. I scored on all holes bar two. 37-38 points. Really happy. Another guy in our fuddle got a hole in one.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
For the first time in a long time I played well really well. Team comp, best two from Four. I scored on all holes bar two. 37-38 points. Really happy. Another guy in our fuddle got a hole in one.
Must be the lack of facial hair! Opposite of Samson!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Must be the lack of facial hair! Opposite of Samson!
Stiff upper lip and all that. 😁👍
It’s growing back. I am Groot. 😁
Exclusive: Here's That Clip of Dancing Baby Groot in All Its ...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early with CVG, blimey..that wind was a cold one..
Poor start, average middle, good end saw me turn with 17 points...only scored on 8 holes so quite reasonable.
Back 9...almost a copy of the front.....except I finished better.
Last 3 holes on that 9 are pars 4,3,4...finished with 3,3,3 and the last was a tap in birdie from 3 inches.
34 points from 16 holes, a blob on each side.......respectable in the breeze.
Index up, probably to 6.2.
Allegedly mahoosive rain tomorrow will likely mean carry only on Friday....CVG doesn't carry so it'll probably be solo.....

Tashyboy

Visit site
Played well today, probably the best I have driven for a year. I putted really well. But they just didn’t want to drop

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in our swindle today. Thought I would use a pair of old Ecco shoes that must be at least 20 years old. They’ve been in the garage for ages and have probably not worn them for about 3 years. After 13 holes the heel of the left shoe was hanging off all the way to the middle of the sole. One hole later and the sole of the right shoe had come away at the front. As I walked it sounded like I was wearing flip flops 🤣 My socks were soaked and the shoes went straight in the bin afterwards.

Last edited: