I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a tee booked for today but it’s been that wet up here that both my courses are closed today. You know it’s wet when a sand based links course is closed due to waterlogging.
Wow, can't be often that a links course is closed due to waterlogging. It does show how much rain we have had over the last few weeks.

Springveldt

Visit site
Wow, can't be often that a links course is closed due to waterlogging. It does show how much rain we have had over the last few weeks.
I think the water table is so high right now in the area that any rain is just sending it over. It feels like it’s rained heavy nearly every day for the last 3 weeks.

My back garden is like 2 feet deep mush, any pressure on it at all just sinks.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had a tee booked for today but it’s been that wet up here that both my courses are closed today. You know it’s wet when a sand based links course is closed due to waterlogging.
I was speaking last night to someone who played in the Winter Open at your new place yesterday. He said it was in decent nick, not particularly wet, and greens running well. It did chuck it down overnight right enough.

Some of our lads are booked to play Bamburgh next week, but apparently it's only had 10 holes open for the last couple of days.

Springveldt

Visit site
I was speaking last night to someone who played in the Winter Open at your new place yesterday. He said it was in decent nick, not particularly wet, and greens running well. It did chuck it down overnight right enough.

Some of our lads are booked to play Bamburgh next week, but apparently it's only had 10 holes open for the last couple of days.
Yeah there have been a few puddles between the dunes but overall I’ve been amazed at how good the greens and how solid underfoot most of the course has been considering most other courses haven’t even been open.

I’ve stuck my name down for tomorrow but it’s raining again now so no idea if it will be open or not.

I watched the Rick Shiels video when he played Dunstanburgh just after Storm Babet and it had massive puddles on it so even courses further up the coast are struggling with the amount of rain as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys on Friday. First game in a couple of weeks, first time this year off mates. Considering I'd not played much at all the last few months, started well with a birdie on the first, par on the 2nd, birdie on 3rd par on 4, birdie on 5, par on 6 and another birdie on 7. Stood on the 10th 4 under, should have gone in then🤣. Played the front 9 with a TM tour response with the blue line. Though id tried these before and wasnt impressed, this was the only non Pro V1 i had in the bag, so tried that. Im not a fan of premium balls in winter and certainly not in yesterday's temperatures, was only 4 0r 5 deg at most. Tbh I was impressed with the TM this time, flew nicely , felt softish off putter and irons. Liked the alignment line already printed. Alas I hit a big block off the 10th tee and lost it. My pp gave me another TM as he had found one earlier I then lost that one in one of the waste bunkers. Back on the par trail from the 12 onwards. My team played well to and we had a decent score bb best two to count team of me off 3 a two and a 6, but last group with plus 2 a 3 and a 9, came in with 96 points the plus 2 shot 61 gross.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out in the afternoon after most of the rain subsided. Felt like I played quite well for most of it but only managed 31 points (87 gross). Typical winter round really. 50° is completely useless to me when it's this soft, duffed a couple of chips/pitches with it and then knifed a full shot when attempting not to fat it. Might leave it home next week! That club cost me at least 3 shots on it's own. Also did something I've only ever done about 5 or 6 times - had a four putt. ☹️ First one got held up in a damp spot leaving me 15 feet short, then I try to hit a bit firmer to stop it happening again - 6 foot past and missed the one back. Sigh. Putted quite well aside from that, it was really out of nowhere.

I was trying a Srixon Z Star that I won in the raffle back at H4H but it really wasn't for me. Firmer than I'm used to so the sound off of driver took some getting used to. Had a weird issue with fairway woods where I struck it well but it just dipped and fell out of the air! Bizarre. Won't be bothering with them again.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hadn’t played for three weeks so quite happy with my 35pts off the forward tees and good with how I played in general. Just really looking to get going again given I have match on Monday. Wet and drizzly for front nine, OK back nine. Course very wet in parts and suffering from serious ‘run off’ from the neighbouring fields resulting in some quite extensive flooding. But 18 holes all in play.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had a friendly knock with a mate. It was a bit windy. On the into wind holes the ball was going about 50 yards less with driver than it usually does. 💨

Springveldt

Visit site
Managed to get out yesterday for a friendly knock with my brother in law. Course was still a bit wet underfoot in places (and a few massive puddles between the dunes) but greens were good, not wet and running fast. Hit the ball great but scored poorly in relation (+8 but course is short and score should have been much better). Score didn't really matter as my brother in law is I'd guess a low to mid 20 handicapper if he were a member somewhere and had to get a handicap, who refuses to take shots as "if I can't beat you straight up I haven't really won" so I still won the game pretty handily.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rejoined Tain at the weekend, played in the weekend medal on Sunday, shot 75 gross which was a bit of a disappointment, drove and struck the ball well, putting was a bit ropey. greens were nice considering the time of year, anything downhill was rapid, struggled to stop any of those and even a tap saw you 6 feet past.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1st round of winter singles ko giving my opponent 20 shots off front tees. I won 5&4. Word had it that he could play a good bit under his 28 handicap, but I guessed it would come down to whether he could do so if I could play steady and apply competitive pressure from the outset. Answer is no he couldn’t - though he wasn‘t that far off. His observation was that his problem was that I was too consistent and didn’t make mistakes…and that meant he was trying to make things happen. And we know that usually doesn’t work.

Truth is that I actually played pretty well, and though he didn’t realise it he didn’t actually need to try and make things happen because he was closer than he imagined to making things tough for me.

Anyway. Onwards and upwards.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1st round of winter singles ko giving my opponent 20 shots off front tees. I won 5&4. Word had it that he could play a good bit under his 28 handicap, but I guessed it would come down to whether he could do so if I could play steady and apply competitive pressure from the outset. Answer is no he couldn’t - though he wasn‘t that far off. His observation was that his problem was that I was too consistent and didn’t make mistakes…and that meant he was trying to make things happen. And we know that usually doesn’t work.

Truth is that I actually played pretty well, and though he didn’t realise it he didn’t actually need to try and make things happen because he was closer than he imagined to making things tough for me.

Anyway. Onwards and upwards.
20 shots!!!!!!!!!

Fair play sir.