I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Greenkeepers Revenge today! Four-person Texas scramble but drop-out format (if your ball is used you don't hit for the next shot - apart from on the green where everyone gets to putt). If you don't know what greenkeepers revenge is, it's crazy pin positions on slopes, obstacles such as lawnmowers in your way, a couple had a pumpkin around the hole so you could only putt it in from one side, two holes had a much smaller hole that only just big enough for a ball to go in, there was all sorts going on. On one par 3 you had to throw two dice and hit the club that corresponds to it on the list!

We bogeyed our first which didn't feel too bad - little did we know that that would be the worst hole of the day for us. For the rest of it, a mixture of dovetailing, excellent putts and huge bits of luck saw us make 6 birdies and 11 pars for a gross 63, net 50! We ended up winning the event by 4 shots!

Personal highlights for me:
- a hilariously lucky birdie chip-in on the 18th where the flag was on a severe slope but I've thumped it against the pin and it dropped. With that pin position I wouldn't be surprised if some teams got bogey or worse.
- holed a big sweeping right-to-left putt into the pumpkin's mouth on the 1st.
- on one of the 'tiny cup' holes (4th) I managed to hit a wedge from 107 yards to about 5 feet and hole the putt myself despite the tiny hole. Given that hole size and unlikelihood of holding a putt, there can't have been many birdies here.

A class day, the weather was great, had so much fun playing the event and walked away with a bottle of wine and a box of balls. Fantastic stuff.
Love this sort of stuff. Our place loses sight of the fact that above all golf is supposed to be fun.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Played at Old Thorns today with a guy from work, we are a similar handicap so we just played a match with no shots. Was a beautiful day for it, clear blue skies and not a breath of wind.

I was a bit ropey on the front 9, trying to bed in a bit of a posture change, the score flicked both ways but we turned all square. Fell behind and was 2 down after 13, but fought back and took the lead with a birdie on 17. I also won 18 to win 2 up.

For a hotel course that gets a lot of traffic it was in good nick, greens recovering from recent work were slow, but to be expected with the recent rain.

6BDFFCBD-BA93-443C-BFFE-6BB390ADD6F8.jpg

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
An absolutely gorgoeus morning.

Daily Mail Foursomes, my partner and I getting 17 shots. We played really solid golf until the 10th where we made a quadruple bogey but followed it up with a birdie 2.

Recovered well but just fell away on 16th, 17th and 18th. Net 75 in the end.

I then went out for another 9 holes, to make the most of the weather. Joined up with a guy in his late 70s and a 13 year old and it just made me appreciate how good the game of golf is that you can do that.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Popped down to Wrotham heath for a knock as it was their last white tee day of the year. the front 9 was dire and come close to leaving after 9. After being convinced by my PP’s to get my (****) together, shot 3 over gross off the blocks.

Stupid game!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My course was closed today, unable to recover from the rain on Friday, so myself and buggerlugs decided to take a 30 minute trip over to Halifax Golf Club.

A few wet patches here and there, totally understandable given the effects of storm Babet, but the course was generally in great condition. Greens had been tined but it didn’t affect any putts.

The views are absolutely sublime, but it is Yorkshire, so no surprises there… ;-)

Little video of the signature par 3 - 17th hole.

Red devil

Visit site
Our local Muni closed, waterlogged. Got 9 holes in at Southport Old Links. Opening drive not bad, down the middle, then a couple of pars.
Sent out a missile on the 8th right out of the sweet spot only for it to bounce into a load of leaves and disappear forever 😅
Good to get out though.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Back from a couple of days in the North West, considering the recent weather we were very lucky to have such surprisingly good conditions.

Sunday at Delamere Forest and the sun shone almost the whole way round, a few isolated bits of standing water but all main greens and tees. Playing hickory foursomes and we halved our match.
Monday at Hoylake and I was a little bit worried when I stepped into a practice bunker and my foot sank 4 inches into what was like quicksand! That is the worst draining part of the ground though and the course itself was in amazing condition. The irons in the bag were 1956 Slazenger STM blades and I had a 1950s John Letters persimmon driver, scored indifferently on the front 9, hooked my tee shot OB on the tenth but then hit some good form for 19 points on the remaining 8 holes and 33 overall off 95%.
Found the left hand bunker on the 17th and almost got up and down then finished the round off with a lovely 5 iron into the wind to the 18th green and two putts for par.

1698142115316.png

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Yesterday I ticked off a bucket list round playing at Gotemba Golf Club at the foot of Mount Fuji. Played with a friends 15 year old set of clubs, ever so slightly shorter than mine 😉 in xstiff shafts too. Driver was a 9 degree xxstif could barely get the ball off the ground and if I did, went straight right 😂

Wasn’t really bothered by the score due to clubs in play, did manage to break 90 so all good.

Will put a few more pics in the pictures thread.

Attachments

• IMG_8513.jpeg
    IMG_8513.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 5

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
So, played front 9 in +4 (40) today which is otherworldly for me! 5 pars and 4 bogeys. Tee'd off on the 10th, bent down to pick my tee out the ground and did my back in. Currently laid up on the sofa with what seems to be some lower back spasms. Absolutely livid as was well on for my best ever round!

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Manky morning so didn't play...Nice afternoon so I thought I'd pop up for a quick 9.....
It's one of the Junior's big comps, it being half-term.
It's a good job we actually don't have many Juniors right now as the place was wick with 3 and 4 balls.
Hovered around the practice green for half an hour and managed to get a slot in front of a 4 ball and 3 holes behind a 3 ball.
Played 6 and came in.
It was busier than a weekend morning....
If only there was a way of knowing that before I left home.............. :rolleyes:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors 4BBB team match, we won our match by the proverbial dog licence, I had a couple of twos, one of which was a chip-in 😮, overall the match was a tie.

I was playing the 1956 Slazenger Tournament Model irons again but had switched the driver from the John Letters to a matching Slazenger Tournament Model driver.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today in a Veterans competition, shot 1 over par for 40 stableford points to lose by 1 point to a 37 handicapper, cannot wait till I get 2 shots for every bloody hole......yes I'm pissed off.
I feel your pain. I often go round in level or below par in our swindle and win zilch because of the high handicappers getting loads of shots. 😢

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played today in the vets jamboree against 5 other clubs but luckily at my home course. My Club won the overall competition by a fair margin,and, my partner and I won the prizes for the best pair.

Something I've never seen before though - one of the other pair hit his tee shot on a par 3 about180 yards, my tee shot sailed towards the green, landed directly on top of the other ball and bounced 25 yards out the back - I've seen balls hit others but only when rolling.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I played today in the vets jamboree against 5 other clubs but luckily at my home course. My Club won the overall competition by a fair margin,and, my partner and I won the prizes for the best pair.

Something I've never seen before though - one of the other pair hit his tee shot on a par 3 about180 yards, my tee shot sailed towards the green, landed directly on top of the other ball and bounced 25 yards out the back - I've seen balls hit others but only when rolling.
Well done Grandad

Happened to Mark O'Meara in the States years back...except his finished in the middle of the lake behind the green :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 23270

Manky morning so didn't play...Nice afternoon so I thought I'd pop up for a quick 9.....
It's a good job we actually don't have many Juniors right now as the place was wick with 3 and 4 balls.
Hovered around the practice green for half an hour and managed to get a slot in front of a 4 ball and 3 holes behind a 3 ball.
Played 6 and came in.
If only there was a way of knowing that before I left home.............. :rolleyes:
Why not join up with the 3ball?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played 6 and came in.
Can you not just book a tee time then head off, or am I missing something, wouldn’t be the first time 😂😂