I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Just broke 90 for the first time! Shot 89 from the white tees so very very pleased. Interesting to note no birdies, probably reinforces that if I want to get lower it’s all about avoiding doubles or worse rather than birdies.

Isn't there a stat somewhere that a scratch golfer gets on average only 1.8 more birdies a round than an 18 handicapper.

From memory, the most birdies I've had in a round is 4... and if i remember correctly I didn't even end up beating my handicap. I went through a spell where I was getting multiple birdies a round but was losing a ball every other hole.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Daily Mail Foursomes qualifier at our place today. Partnered up with the youth - who’s only bringing 13 shots to the handicap calculation party these days.
Both played steady - 34 points. It’s a weird one is Foursomes, I always have it in my head that we should be scoring better than average as you’d expect in a better ball, when in reality its the opposite.
We hit 2 greens in reg, 6496 yards off the white tees when the course is pretty wet and ready for the winter changeover was a stretch - I’m not a big hitter, the youth will be one day but hasn’t got the height or stature to wallop it miles just yet, and it’ll be a welcome change to play off the yellows next weekend in the winter league. 👍

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out for 13 holes today. Was level through the first 7 before a 3 putt bogey on the 8th and a lost ball on the 9th resulting in a double.

Came back down 15 - 18 and got another 3 putt bogey on the 16th.

Finished up 5 over through the 13 which was 5 under my net handicap for those holes!

Annoyingly caught behind a 4ball that refused to acknowledge me for the final 3 holes despite them spending well over 5 mins looking for balls on the 17th. Even when I got to the tee on the 17th and 18th they avoided eye contact and continued on their merry and very slow way.

1hr 20 for the front 9 as a 5ball, 1hr for the last 4 holes as a single. 🙄

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just broke 90 for the first time! Shot 89 from the white tees so very very pleased. Interesting to note no birdies, probably reinforces that if I want to get lower it’s all about avoiding doubles or worse rather than birdies.

Even a couple of doubles isn’t gonna scupper your chance of shooting lower so don’t let your head drop if/when you get a couple.
Tied my 2nd best gross score yesterday (84) and like you no birdies… and I had three doubles with 9 pars, and if I recall even my very lowest gross had 2 doubles early in the round

Avoid penalty strokes/reloads/lost balls etc at all costs, anything that can too easily turn a 6 into an 8, so your double doesn’t turn into a quad

D

Deleted member 29109

Even a couple of doubles isn’t gonna scupper your chance of shooting lower so don’t let your head drop if/when you get a couple.
Tied my 2nd best gross score yesterday (84) and like you no birdies… and I had three doubles with 9 pars, and if I recall even my very lowest gross had 2 doubles early in the round

Avoid penalty strokes/reloads/lost balls etc at all costs, anything that can too easily turn a 6 into an 8, so your double doesn’t turn into a quad

I shot my second best score of the year after starting with a double. I know a lot of people who would have thrown in the towel after that. Or gone chasing birdies.

Eliminating or reducing the number of doubles or worse is absolutely the way to reduce scores.

Yesterday I shot 82 with 4 doubles and a triple.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors match at home today, giving 17 shots to one fella which I don't usually mind but thus guy was very steady and scoring bogey net par on many holes so it was a struggle to stay with him, luckily his partner was not on his game.

Turned all square but were two down after 12 and not feeling confident, but then we hit some form and they lost it and we won the next 5 holes to win 3 & 1, team lost overall though 5.5 to 2.5

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went for a knock on my own yesterday and shot a 78, and as usual it could have been better still! I did play lift and place everywhere but was never off line so never in rough. Deffo is the way forward. Winter rules all year so we get to play the lies the pros have on their manicured courses where the bal sits up everywhere.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Went for a knock on my own yesterday and shot a 78, and as usual it could have been better still! I did play lift and place everywhere but was never off line so never in rough. Deffo is the way forward. Winter rules all year so we get to play the lies the pros have on their manicured courses where the bal sits up everywhere.

Haha

I played Galorm Castle this year on the Tuesday after a European tour event. Trust me, you don't want to play in pro set ups. The fairways are nice. The rough is absolutely brutal. They make hitting shots out of it look easy because they have the speed. Us regular joes just can't elevate the ball properly out of that kind of rough.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha

I played Galorm Castle this year on the Tuesday after a European tour event. Trust me, you don't want to play in pro set ups. The fairways are nice. The rough is absolutely brutal. They make hitting shots out of it look easy because they have the speed. Us regular joes just can't elevate the ball properly out of that kind of rough.

All day long ...

Attachments

• IMG-20231011-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20231011-WA0014.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 7

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
had a nice 12 holes at Astbury, in Cheshire this morning, in their turkey shoot, nice course but like most parkland very wet, shame is was only 12 holes though as it took me nearly 90 minutes to drive there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A rare game on a workday, thanks to a local bank holiday. Office closed today and Monday. Not touched a club in 2 weeks, was a bit ropey the first 2 holes but got better after that. Greens surprisingly good considering the time of year. Breezy, but nice and sunny. Only just over double figures temperature wise, so a slight drop in distance.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Today I took part in the Black Tee Challenge on the red course at Frilford Heath.

Despite the way I've been playing I have really been looking forward to the test.

7500 yards, with a strong wind and the threat of rain, which amazingly we managed to miss the bulk of, it certainly was a test.

I played with 3 other gents who were off 3, 5 and 6 who were very good company.

I think playing alongside them raised my game and I have to say, I was driving the ball just as good as the 3 of them.

I played super solid for 34 points, which got me a 6th place finish, the winner getting 37, so I am over the moon with how I played and hopefully I can take this forward.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Kilspindie this afternoon with my current client's office golf club. Wind gusting 45-50mph so it was a bit challenging. At one point, on the 8th tee, I couldn't even stand upright to hit my tee shot. It was brutal.

They changed it to stableford at the last minute due to the wind and I scrapped for 29 points and still came 3rd. Guy in my group drove a green 388 yards away :ROFLMAO: , I hit a 322 yard 3w as well. That's how brutal it really was. Going the other way the same bloke striped his driver a whole 180 yards.