I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Home club.
8 players with vintage clubs. 7 home players and one guest - can you guess who that might be?
4 pairs betterball strokeplay stableford 85% of course handicap.
Ah, yer man was not my partner, I put him with another chap and they came runner-up with 38.
Winning pair (Club Captain and Chairman of Management Committee) were 39 with a chap in his late 60s scoring 3 birdies on the back nine - two of them nett eagles for 4 points each and his playing handicap was 7.
Other two pairs were 35 points. Tied 3rd place for me then.
Considering our handicaps (except Mr Crow) are based on modern clubs, scoring was a very good standard.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and it was a great way to mark my 63rd birthday and 50 years since my first game at my club.

The good lady will be feeding me soon and then there will be some red wine drinking to be done. Cheers!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Home club.
8 players with vintage clubs. 7 home players and one guest - can you guess who that might be?
4 pairs betterball strokeplay stableford 85% of course handicap.
Ah, yer man was not my partner, I put him with another chap and they came runner-up with 38.
Winning pair (Club Captain and Chairman of Management Committee) were 39 with a chap in his late 60s scoring 3 birdies on the back nine - two of them nett eagles for 4 points each and his playing handicap was 7.
Other two pairs were 35 points. Tied 3rd place for me then.
Considering our handicaps (except Mr Crow) are based on modern clubs, scoring was a very good standard.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and it was a great way to mark my 63rd birthday and 50 years since my first game at my club.

The good lady will be feeding me soon and then there will be some red wine drinking to be done. Cheers!

I didn't realise that it was your birthday, many happy returns and enjoy the meal and wine!

And thanks again for a very enjoyable day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Enjoyable, if slightly frustrating round today. I was tired, bit of a headache, me and the US team 😉, and struggled to concentrate. Fine off the tee and approaches, it was the short stuff I was sloppy with. Too many wasted shots from close in, too many putts. 33 points, okay but no more.

I saw a tip in a video from Monty about ball striking, don't hit the ball hard, let the ball get in the way of the golf swing ie swing smoothly. I tried to put that into action and it was effective. It's something I already know really, it was just useful to have the tip and image fresh in my mind.

The greens haven't recovered yet from severe tining a month ago and that affected quite a few putts. Hard not to get casual after a few dodgy ones.

Weather was as good as it gets in autumn though, no wind, no rain. My pp played excellently for a very fine 38 so that made the round go with a bounce. A good day.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Still struggling with rotator cuff injury. Played today but at random times my shoulder stops half way back causing mayhem. 🙃

Starting to think about taking the rest of the year off.
I feel your pain.

Injured my knee a couple of weeks ago. Got a big week planned next week - Open on Monday, board comp Tuesday and Away Day on Thursday. So today was a bit of fitness test which I was convinced I’d pass.

Managed 9 holes but it was tough going, never felt comfortable or natural, and was spraying it all over the place.

Knee is like a balloon now, have had to reluctantly acknowledge that I’m nowhere near fit to play, and have cancelled all arrangements. Will be like a bear with a sore head next week.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Course today felt a lot longer (haven't been for a couple of weeks) especially earlier. Thick dew, fairways a bit long, and 'heavy air'. Took 10 holes to make a par! (was a birdie on 4th). Then 3 in a row 😐.
We were surprised to find the18th tee was on the blacks, just 598 yards 😲, and into the breeze. Set challenge of hitting an iron for 3rd shot. Made it, pin high on fringe, and up 'n' downed for a nice finish 🙂

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Still struggling with rotator cuff injury. Played today but at random times my shoulder stops half way back causing mayhem. 🙃

Starting to think about taking the rest of the year off.

In same boat
My shoulder issue, ain't getting better anytime soon
1 step forward
2 steps back lately

Problems mainly trying to hit longer shafted clubs....driver
Having to extend further
Feel at times, shoulder pulls, goes tight, pulling arm down as I'm still trying to make backswing
Managed 3 holes last sunday before I had issues, tried to carry on, played 6 holes and done

Think my golf year finished too

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Medal today
Below average front 9 of 7 over - handicap gone... :rolleyes:
Back 9 was much better with a 2 over score leaving me 9 over gross 80.
Currently 9th out of 34 in Div1 with 2 scores to come in...could have been worse.
Even get a small cut for it...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Two games on the trot, back at Nairn for the first time in nearly a month. Slow, remember now why I don't usually play on Sundays at my home club.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played at a mate's course with him and his brother this morning and it was a rather testing round. Two fourballs in front, 7 guests with one member, slow as a week in jail that came to a head at the 12th tee and bit of an 8 v 3 was in the offing.

2h 40m to play 10 holes on a short par 67 course that's perfectly playable in 3 hours as a four ball. These guys in front were murder. But the 11th/12th was the final straw.

The 11th is a drivable par 4 so we had to wait for the second of the four balls to clear the green, in turn, they'd had to wait for the first group to clear. Who then proceeded to stand on the 12th tee and wait for their mates so they could "have a wee drink" on the 12th tee together. To compound it, we counted one guy taking 9 shots to get to a green 257 yards away and another having to hit back from across TWO fairways to the left.

We initially asked politely why they were not playing without undue delay and got a mouthful in return, this was not a good idea with my two mates and so it all went a bit sideways for a time.

Ultimately the second group let us play through, using the "we would have let you through but there's nowhere to go" nonsense.

Second group let us thorough on the 13th. There had to be at least 10 groups behind us being held up as well.

We putted out on the 18th and the first group were only on the 15th tee. Some people should not be allowed near a golf course.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Out for a medal this morning. After playing terribly in our club champs 4 weeks ago, I hadn’t picked up a club since pretty much throwing the bag in the garage.

Actually played well for the majority, but there was a bit of rust there, bad shots were far rather than shanks, so that was a step forward 😂.

Round in 79, so it will go in as my worst counter. Maybe I should just give up practising.

Teebs

Visit site
Out for a medal this morning. After playing terribly in our club champs 4 weeks ago, I hadn’t picked up a club since pretty much throwing the bag in the garage.

Actually played well for the majority, but there was a bit of rust there, bad shots were far rather than shanks, so that was a step forward 😂.

Round in 79, so it will go in as my worst counter. Maybe I should just give up practising.

Had one of my best rounds the other week after a 2 week lay off, no warm up and a 7.30am tee time. Silly game!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Final medal of the year yesterday. The youth joined me and beat me gross and nett. Front nine was excellent for him, considering the rain we’ve had making the course play pretty long off the back tees.
Back nine wasn’t quite as good but the round went into his 8 lowest calc and he’s now down 0.4 to 13 dead.

Putting lesson for him on Saturday, he’s just not where he needs to be with that aspect of the game.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Managed to get out both days at the weekend and I'm still fighting some demons in my swing.

Saturday I was 9 over after 13 holes and playing pretty well, when all of a sudden I went double, double and then a shank filled 16, 17 and 18th followed for a 21 over 92.

Bogey competition yesterday - played fairly solid but was 4 down after 9, managed to get it back to 3 but then doubled the 17th and 18th.

It's just inexplicable really because I will put a string of good holes together and then my swing just goes to pot, so very frustrating.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's just inexplicable really because I will put a string of good holes together and then my swing just goes to pot, so very frustrating.
I feel your pain. I'm striking the ball nicely, and feel like I can easily play to around 12 handicap, then I chuck in a run of 5 doubles/blobs from nowhere on my Friday round; on Saturday it was a run of 3 doubles. Game just turns to mush for a few holes and then returns, no explanation. Hard game.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I feel your pain. I'm striking the ball nicely, and feel like I can easily play to around 12 handicap, then I chuck in a run of 5 doubles/blobs from nowhere on my Friday round; on Saturday it was a run of 3 doubles. Game just turns to mush for a few holes and then returns, no explanation. Hard game.
I just hate the fact my handicap index keeps going up too, 0.8 in two rounds!