I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played in my singles knockout yesterday.

First round, drawn against an 18 handicap I was feeling fairly confident, even with having to give him 2 shots.

Turns out he plays off 12 in his weekly swindle and was officially off 11 two years ago. He did not miss a shot. Through 9 he was 5 over and I was 9 over, 3 down in the match.

Never got close to putting a glove on him and I lost 4&3. I feel like I was sandbagged a little.....

This scenario happened to me on Sunday - albeit he gave me one shot!

He used to be off 10/12 pre WHS - now plays off 18 and frankly the match was over after 3 holes. 3 under through 3 and you're off 18? Joker! I had par, bogey, par - better than my handicap and I could get close. Joke

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in my first seniors 4BBB match today, despite my having the worst attack of shanks in a few years, we were still one up heading down the last.

I was pretty much out the hole after three but my partner had played a decent second shot towards the temporary green (this was at Lutterworth and the 18th green is closed after the fire so they're using a small chipping green).
When we got to his ball, however, it was next to a tree trunk and balanced in mid air on the V of a small twig.
He had to play it and it didn't end well, we lost the hole to a 6 net 5 having both made sixes.

A very frustrating round.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played match play against a 4hc got well beat 5-3 but it was no disgrace as he was just 3 over after 15, superb striker of the ball only used driver 3 times and it was good to play with such a good player which I don’t get to do often.

That’s 2 low h/cs that’s beat me this week, some low guys complaining about not wanting to play high h/cappers and even won’t enter match play must have met some right bandits in the past?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I equalled my worst score in my last 50 scores today. Two weeks ago I equalled my best score in my last 50 scores. Both weekday stableford comps. Stupid game.

50 scores.jpg

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Shot my best score since returning to golf tonight. Despite not striking it too well.

43 on the front include 2 doubles, which jumped out of nowhere. Then 38 back, which having holed a monster put on 10, was fairly routine fairways and greens. The highlight being a nice chip in birdie on 17.

Annoyingly it rained for 2 holes, but other than that it was perfect golf weather. There was hardly a breath of wind. Something that doesn't happen very often here.

D

Deleted member 21258

Solid 93 today, old swing back in town. All over the place. No change to handicap, as its a chuck away scoring round.

Got the monkey off my back, ball lost and lucky it wasn't more, got to hug lots of trees today :LOL:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Had a little trip to Forfar today, always enjoy playing there but it's been a few years since we've had that pleasure.

Booked through Golf Now (£20 each) and the folks in the pro shop were very friendly and helpful - of course if you book the way we did there's always a chance you'll get paired up with another couple but we were on our own and it was a decent paced round without ever hurrying - car park was very busy when we arrived but on the course we had nobody behind us - which sadly meant I didn't get to ring the bell on the 15th to signify that we had cleared the landing area for the blind drive.

It's a nice heathland course but one thing I'd forgotten is how many holes have a bunker in front of the green, we found a few of them. Forfar is know for it's rolling fairways and I'd also forgotten that they can be hard work when walking over them - my ankles certainly felt it by the end.

Course is in decent condition but I'd say it's about a month behind us, was surprised at the difference going 17 miles inland from our place. Played OK but struggled to get the speed of the greens, just a bit slower than our place and long putts on the early holes were pulling up three or four feet short, gave them just a touch more and they were going five feet past - never quite got to grips with them. Short game in general wasn't great but on the other hand I drove the ball pretty well (for me).

And I got lucky at times - twice I thought I'd hit a shot into the heather only to find that I'd found a wee gap and had a good lie.

Had the novelty of a meal in the clubhouse afterwards (been a while since I've done that), can highly recommend the haddock if anyone else finds themselves visiting.

IMG_5230.jpg
3rd green

IMG_5231.jpg
6th green, photographed from 4th tee

IMG_5232.jpg
5th green

IMG_5235.jpg
Approach to 6th green, with 3rd green in the background

IMG_5240.jpg
17th green

Mandofred

Visit site
Went out early as a single this morning. Best round since the last lockdown. Nothing worse than a bogie, +7 and didn't hit a putt outside 2 feet. It could have been a lot better if the putts would go in. Sitting in a divot didn't help on one hole (even though some people think it doesn't happen very often). Swing change about 2 weeks ago has helped.....a lot.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today and could only manage to hit 7 greens in the first 16 holes. However, short game was on fire and after those 16 holes I had had 16 pars. Then missed the 17th green on the wrong side and my chip was also obstructed by a tree. Had to aim away from the flag and then rammed the par putt 6 feet past and missed the return.? Interest almost gone and ended with a bogey on the last hole. I hate this game sometimes.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good pics from Forfar , playing there in July, always enjoy it.
After 4 false starts ( wife broke arm , did my shoulder in, covid and had to isolate pre op ) finally got to play Cavendish today in a Seniors Open. Did not disappoint and look forward to our return in Aug with the wife. Fantastic bacon roll pre round and super half way stop with honesty box , then couple of pints of Aspinall to top the day off

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Well since my career best score last Sunday I appear to have lost the ability to strike an iron or wedge. Thinning everything. Still managing to scrape round to roughly my handicap but only because tee shots and short game have been pretty strong (for me).

I know what I'm doing wrong - weighting the back foot on the backswing but not moving forward on the downswing - but can't seem to do anything about it mid-round.

Time at the range/practice area required, methinks.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out for nine holes after work with my dad and my two mates. My dad's first round (or half round) as a member. I shot 43 which was fairly decent. My dad shot 64 which is less so.. but at least he finished every hole and didn't lose a ball. I kept the card in case he wants to put it forward for a handicap, but he doesn't really need one since I doubt he'll play any comps. I think he'd be off about 45 based on that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just an average day yesterday
A couple of bad holes, some bad breaks, not many good ones, some good play, some not so good.
Just bang average....
And to cap it all..I can go out and be bang average again today...:LOL:

Zig

Visit site
Cheeky 6 holes late on a Friday night. Gorgeous sun, no wind - one of those very rare links summer evenings.

Is it OK for your 9YO little boy to hit it better than you? And get closer than you from two bunkers? Asking for a friend!