I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
After the recent seniors match with the Dunlop Tony Jacklin irons where I hit a lot of shanks I was hoping a change of irons might drive the shanks away.
Played on Saturday with Wilson Staff Tour Blades and the shanks were as bad as I can remember.

1621260770406.png

Can't blame the irons, although they're one of the dodgiest sets I have, I knew the lengths were a bit suspect but I measured them at the weekend and they are:

1621260342173.png

A bit of a one-length thing going on with the 3, 4 and 5 irons and very short clubs for the PW and SW!

I read a John Jacobs tip yesterday and I suspect my swing has got a little flat and I'm coming too much round my body on the downswing. Played today with a more upright backswing and only hit two shanks and scored 36 points, hope I can keep the form for Forest Pines at the weekend, especially as I'm playing against another serial shanker in the form of @Paperboy

The Wilsons will be going back in the garage after today and I need to decide which clubs to use for the big one at the weekend, and hopefully get a practice round in with them.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After the recent seniors match with the Dunlop Tony Jacklin irons where I hit a lot of shanks I was hoping a change of irons might drive the shanks away.
Played on Saturday with Wilson Staff Tour Blades and the shanks were as bad as I can remember.

View attachment 36655

Can't blame the irons, although they're one of the dodgiest sets I have, I knew the lengths were a bit suspect but I measured them at the weekend and they are:

View attachment 36654

A bit of a one-length thing going on with the 3, 4 and 5 irons and very short clubs for the PW and SW!

I read a John Jacobs tip yesterday and I suspect my swing has got a little flat and I'm coming too much round my body on the downswing. Played today with a more upright backswing and only hit two shanks and scored 36 points, hope I can keep the form for Forest Pines at the weekend, especially as I'm playing against another serial shanker in the form of @Paperboy

The Wilsons will be going back in the garage after today and I need to decide which clubs to use for the big one at the weekend, and hopefully get a practice round in with them.

what century will the clubs for the Old farts meet be from?

D

Deleted member 3432

Hit the ball nicely this this morning for 1 under 71. Shame that I wasn't bothering with a general play round although I hadn't been on the course since a lesson last week and just wanted to test the swing.

Apart from a big block OB onto the beach on 5 I was well pleased that I had it under more control than I have had it in a long time. Putting was very poor and the 4 birdies could easily have been 7 or 8 the number of chances I had inside 10 feet and totaly missed my starting line.

Session on SAM lab was already arranged for tomorrow so hopefully that will be sorted fairly quickly.

Lovely day, first round I have played this seasion in just a shirt so good to get compression layers, jumpers and jackets off :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sooooo. After shooting 81 and my best score since returning to golf on Thursday.
Today I played with the boy at a 9 hole par 3 course at the resort we're staying at.

And played like I'd never hit a ball before. It was genuinely embarrassing. Then I shanked a wedge. Then a 5 iron. Not even sure what I shot in the end, other than I had 6 shanks ?.

I have never shanked a shot before.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Well that will teach me - had a wee discussion with @Crazyface over on the Random Golf Irritations thread about weather this afternoon after which the heavy shower we'd had stopped and I set off out for a hit on the Ashludie at 5.30pm. Although I was on my own the intention was to play it as a proper round of golf, not do anything stupid, make sure my set up was good, hole all the putts and see what I could score - sadly yesterday's 'baby draw' was nowhere to be seen but I started Ok and got better.

I was standing on the seventh tee when the heavens opened - looked at the forecast on my phone and it wasn't going to stop, but as the 7th was in the direction I had to walk home it was on with the Footjoy waterproof jacket and I played the hole - hit a lovely iron that must have pitched close and got a 90 degree lip out from my chip from the back of the green - that left me two over level fours for seven holes, which is decent for me.

Would have like to have finished at least the nine but rain was heavy so walked the 842 yards (7th green to my desk) home. Sitting here listening to the rain - ah well tomorrow is another day.

IMG_5273.jpg
Hint of sunshine on the first tee as I set off

Kennysarmy

Visit site
First round of club singles knockout last night, up against a 3 handicapper so I was getting 4 shots!
Two down after three holes!

I kept plugging away and eventually got three up with six to play, but 3 handicappers have good short games and he ground it out to get back to all square on the 18th.

Both par'd 18 - no shots
Both par'd the 1st - no shots
Both par'd the 2nd - no shots after he hit a pull/hook in to the trees but miraculously had a route through to the green and put it to within 12 feet! (SI 5! - so I was chuffed to par it)
On the 3rd a par 3, 195 yards in to a slight breeze he came up short right (with a bunker to chip over) and I was just off the green front edge.
We both ended up with around 6 feet putts for par - mine bobbled and missed left - his found the centre of the cup - game over (SI is low enough that in medal play I need a shot - so 4 was a 'par' score for me - but sadly not good enough)

Great match, great company and I was pleased with my fight back and to give him a good game, on to the doubles knockout next week!

No golf for a few days as that was the 4th round in 4 days and my calves were just starting to tell me about it last night.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate's birthday, we normally all have a round on our birthdays but only me and him managed to get the day off this time. So it was matchplay at Aldenham - a nice course near where I live. I was giving him 12 shots. I went 2 up early, he got it back to all square, but I was once again 2 up after the 10th I believe, and he never got back into it after that. I won 5&4 in the end. Crushing defeat on his birthday - oh well. ?

I felt like I played pretty well. Managed a birdie and six pars, got 35 points. Although the gross was 88 as I made a massive pig's ear of two of the par 5s - a 9 and an 8! My putting was better on a course with normal greens though, as I expected really. It was nice to play somewhere where I'm not bricking it for anything over 4 feet. ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First Seniors board comp of the year yesterday no where near top for the Title but disappointed to finish 5th in division . Knocked a ball in to the trees on 17 and it finished OB. Par on the hole would have given me 2nd place.

Greens still very slow and must have lost 6-8 shots just in putting but is is the same for everybody.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 36655

View attachment 36654

I fancied a set of the Goose necks irons in that range but sadly at the time a little bit outside my price bracket.

At the time I managed to find a set of Spalding Tour Edition Custom Crafted which lasted me for several years

http://retrogolf.blogspot.com/2011/02/spalding-tour-edition.html

davidy233

Tour Rookie
The saga of beautiful sunny weather while I'm chained to the desk in the house working and it turning dodgy when I'm on the course continues - this time I did get my nine holes in - much of it in that aforementioned glorious sunshine - but by the time I was on the 9th the skies to the North and West were looking very dodgy and I could hear thunder.

With what little wind there was coming from the East it could have been OK but I don't tend to mess with thunder storms so played the 10th and 18th quickly and headed home. Half an hour later it's started raining and it sounds heavy.

IMG_5279.jpg
Sky looking dodgy behind the 9th green

IMG_5287.jpg
Ten minutes later as I walked up to the 18th green the sky had turned nasty

IMG_5288.jpg
Knock that putt in and walk home.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played the nine hole Tapton Park Academy course in Chesterfield with my lad. £9 each and a nice little course overlooking Chesterfield town centre not much under 3000yds. Perfect for my lad as he hasn’t played for over 5 yrs. But holy moly did he not go and play quite tidy double bogey golf and not a single air shot. In fact he reckons it’s the best he’s ever played. 6‘3” lithe and strong - he could be an excellent golfer - and he might yet put his mind to playing a bit.

My golf was rubbish, but a lovely 9 holes with my lad was had.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Light showers they said..
Light showers...
If that was light showers I'd hate to see heavy persistent rain....I saw some old bloke in a field, looks like he was making a big boat or something..
Got drenched
Came in after 9.
Didn't enjoy it much...
We had every kind of weather today, I was doing more costume changes than Lady Gaga. Started off overcast but warm (midlayer on), then a shower (jacket on), then the sun came out and baked us (down to shirt sleeves), then an absolute downpour to finish (back in the jacket plus bucket hat!).

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I looked out my bathroom window and saw a huge lightning strike on Craigowl. From my angle in Fife it was a impressive looking little storm.
Didn't actually see any lightning but there were storms round three sides of me as I left the course - Dundee direction, North and blowing down the Tay - thunder was enough for me. Weather recently has been like a cut down version of parts of the USA - sunny during the day with a storm/rain in the early evening

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Midlands golf union's Seniors Spring meet at Ludlow yesterday and came 9 overall and 2nd in age category for the gross and 13th and 3rd for the nett.
Rained on for our first hole but then dry but tad breezzy that picked up in the afternoon so PCC was 2 and meant my 77 counts for handicap, shame it was knocking out my best so went up by
. 4

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site