I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 29109

After yesterday's shanks. I was literally awake half the night thinking about it. Today I was desperate to get back out and see if I could fix it. I'd mentally convinced myself it was due to the back and hip pains I've been suffering recently.

I was only playing on a 9 hole par 3. But I had a good stretch and a few practice swings before hitting the first shot.

I can honestly say I've never been so worried over an opening tee shot. I was mightily relieved to hit a slightly toe'y 6 iron short right of the green. Managing to play 2 balls (scoring each separately) round 9 holes without a shank in a combined 9 over.

Once you've shanked one. How long does it take without doing it before it leaves your consciousness?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After yesterday's shanks. I was literally awake half the night thinking about it. Today I was desperate to get back out and see if I could fix it. I'd mentally convinced myself it was due to the back and hip pains I've been suffering recently.

I was only playing on a 9 hole par 3. But I had a good stretch and a few practice swings before hitting the first shot.

I can honestly say I've never been so worried over an opening tee shot. I was mightily relieved to hit a slightly toe'y 6 iron short right of the green. Managing to play 2 balls (scoring each separately) round 9 holes without a shank in a combined 9 over.

Once you've shanked one. How long does it take without doing it before it leaves your consciousness?
I'm sorry to say that it will always be in the back of your mind, every time you hit an iron from now on. I try and see that as a good thing, like a preventative measure reminding me to do all the things that I think stop me shanking it. ?

Kennysarmy

Visit site

The correct answer, is of course, as soon as you start walking to the next shot!

The reality will be different, for we're all individual, some dwell for holes on a bad shot and others accept them as part of golf and relish the challenge of the next shot no matter what came before.
Maybe the "shanks" are slightly different.
But one thing is certain, if over the ball you have any negative thoughts, your body will respond accordingly.

D

Deleted member 29109

The correct answer, is of course, as soon as you start walking to the next shot!

The reality will be different, for we're all individual, some dwell for holes on a bad shot and others accept them as part of golf and relish the challenge of the next shot no matter what came before.
Maybe the "shanks" are slightly different.
But one thing is certain, if over the ball you have any negative thoughts, your body will respond accordingly.

Your first sentence is the correct answer. And generally my attitude. Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball again. I went hard at every this time to make sure I was being positive.

But this took me completely by surprise. Even as a complete beginner, I never ever shanked a shot.

I've had 9 holes now striking it well. And had this therapy session ?. So I'll put it behind me.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every now and then, like once a few months, I’ll shank one at the range. Might even do it a few times in that session. It’s a complete oddity and I just immediately put it behind me. You can’t go through your golfing life worried about shanks, they happen (rarely, hopefully) so just forget it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every now and then, like once a few months, I’ll shank one at the range. Might even do it a few times in that session. It’s a complete oddity and I just immediately put it behind me. You can’t go through your golfing life worried about shanks, they happen (rarely, hopefully) so just forget it.
The thing is, it's only when you actually truly forget about them that they come back with a vengeance.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id say I average a shank every 30 iron strikes or so... Can go weeks without one, then have a round from absolute hell.

Always go to the range and address it before getting back out there - its all mental for me!

TigerTime

Visit site
Can someone explain to me how you can go from a high draw off the tee, to an awful slice in the matter of months? Nothing has changed swing wise or grip wise that I can tell. Strange.

Can barely strike an iron these days too apparently. Sigh. I felt like my swing was in a good place and I really liked hitting the high draws, it's just basically disintegrated over the last couple of months. I had a go on a Trackman sim the other day and I have some data, and even then from using that sim it showed high draws. It's weird because scoring wise whilst I am so inconsistent it hasn't really changed much for the worse or better at the same time. Lost a bit of distance too probably as a result of the slice/fade. Golf is hard.

Took an 11 today on a par 4. Just so bad. How do I go from shooting 83 one week to a 100 the next?

Last edited:

YandaB

Visit site
Can someone explain to me how you can go from a high draw off the tee, to an awful slice in the matter of months? Nothing has changed swing wise or grip wise that I can tell. Strange.

Can barely strike an iron these days too apparently. Sigh. I felt like my swing was in a good place and I really liked hitting the high draws, it's just basically disintegrated over the last couple of months. I had a go on a Trackman sim the other day and I have some data, and even then from using that sim it showed high draws. It's weird because scoring wise whilst I am so inconsistent it hasn't really changed much for the worse or better at the same time.

Took an 11 today on a par 4. Just so bad. How do I go from shooting 83 one week to a 100 the next?
Wow, it's taken you a few months to do that! I can manage it over the space of just a few holes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And back again before the end of the round!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Finally found some consistency
Still a few poor shots but managed to be blob-free for the first time since coming out of lockdown.
15 out, 18 back for 33.
Have to be pleased with that after what seems li,e weeks of struggling to make high 20s..
Just in time for the weekend.....:cool:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out in the Stableford on the Ashludie tonight and set off in nice conditions, overcast and into a lightish wind, nobody in front of us for ages. Largely mediocre with a couple of awful holes - including my first snowman in a long time.

Got to the turn and the rain came on - never really heavy but persistent so got to see how well the Footjoy FLv2 jacket performed - it gets a big thumbs up. Walking off the 12th green we noticed a four ball in front of us and wondered how, even as a two, we'd caught a group who teed off nearly an hour before us, we weren't rushing.

We waited on every shot after that - and they were taking a long, long time on each green - got home and thought I'll look up How did I do to see if they had benefitted from their time spent lining up putts etc. and one of them had shot a gross 64 (4 under par) so I can't really complain, maybe that amount of care is what it takes.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Amazing weather conditions this evening..on off showers, hail and bright sunshine. Went round with a hot putter and irons were pretty good as well. But the driver was a little short, think it’s the spin issue. If I get it off the face right, it goes , if I don’t it just drops... but been there before, and it’s just bad habits creeping back in.

Boomy

Visit site
A beautiful evening for golf on the Cumbrian Coast, the sun was shining ? and the wind was blowing ? a lot. Getting much more accustomed to playing in the wind now, judging club distances better and putting better too, all just slightly better but some progress is better than none!

The view from the 5th tee, which runs right along the coast line and was playing pretty much straight into the wind:
4F4BA921-07D7-420E-A191-0A03CF8E86F8.jpeg

From the 5th fairway towards the green:
8CD14C46-1FB5-4826-8FF5-622A0F413145.jpeg

Looking towards the Criffel Hill across the Solway in Scotland from the 5th tee:

BC339E01-7DDC-45D5-B1DC-BE0BD47F4B15.jpeg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1 under thru 8 holes. 3 birdies in that stretch including two 2s.

Leaked oil all over the back 9 to finish +5. Lost the pace of the greens completely and a few silly errors.greens were so slow after lots of rain this afternoon and left myself alot of work on them coming in. 3 pars to finish but it wasnt pretty.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf game gone to pot, kiss goodbye to the 70s, hello 90s, last round 5 off the 1st tee.:ROFLMAO:

Scoring diff for last four rounds are 20.1, 14.2, 17.9 and one round I didn't do a card for which was worse. At least the weight is falling off, over 1.5 stone lost since being back to golf.

Loving it and the torture.

D

Deleted member 3432

A beautiful evening for golf on the Cumbrian Coast, the sun was shining ? and the wind was blowing ? a lot. Getting much more accustomed to playing in the wind now, judging club distances better and putting better too, all just slightly better but some progress is better than none!

The view from the 5th tee, which runs right along the coast line and was playing pretty much straight into the wind:
View attachment 36693

From the 5th fairway towards the green:
View attachment 36694

Looking towards the Criffel Hill across the Solway in Scotland from the 5th tee:

View attachment 36695

Slighlty different weather today, we were due to play this afternoon but the 40 mph wind forecast and heavy rain scuppered that. Trying again in the morning, showery forecast and gusty northerly wind so looking iffy.

Have you played the 5th off the Blue's yet? Beast of a hole into the wind, at least the fairway is closer to the tee than it used to be...:D

Boomy

Visit site
Slighlty different weather today, we were due to play this afternoon but the 40 mph wind forecast and heavy rain scuppered that. Trying again in the morning, showery forecast and gusty northerly wind so looking iffy.

Have you played the 5th off the Blue's yet? Beast of a hole into the wind, at least the fairway is closer to the tee than it used to be...:D

I was going to play tomorrow afternoon but have sacked it off due to the forecasted wind and rain.

I’ve not played off the Blue’s at all yet, but have played off the whites into the wind on 5 which was testing enough ? I’m keen to play in the wind as much as possible to get accustomed to it (but not the 40mph typhoon forecasted ?)

I’m definitely adapting my shot making to work better in the wind. Slow progress but getting there ??‍♂️