I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Extremely windy and very, very wet today.
Four of us played a Ryder Cup, which is always a bit of fun.
Was driving really well today but couldn't hole a putt.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
18 holes last night in mainly light rain but gusty winds, course was saturated with quite a few greens with puddles on them and a new stream running across the 10th fairway!
Only played so my mate could see the course before an invitation day tomorrow - sadly he won't see the course at it's best :(

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played doubles match play with my son who had 3 shots the rest were same h/c we won on the second extra hole, brilliant game which looked like our opponents were going to win on the 18th, it’s a par five son and one of our opponents were out of the hole the other player was on in 3 with a 14 foot put, I hit a poor 3rd short and rolled away down a steep slope managed to get my 4th shot on the green but was left with a 20 feet downhill put which amazingly went in.

Think that knocked the wind out of them as they visibly tired and played poor on the extra holes.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A controlled performance in high winds saw off a familiar foe I was now giving 16 shots instead of 14 thanks to WHS. Traded wins over first 5 then I went from the 6th to 17th without a bogey. 3 birdies in that run and plenty chances, given the conditions I’m stoked about the manner of the 3&2 win that resulted. Felt in control of my game for a long time for the first time in a long time. Love playing in the wind and don’t mind rain, but when they come together it’s a distracting annoyance trying to manage everything, thankfully we only had 4 holes in that.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A controlled performance in high winds saw off a familiar foe I was now giving 16 shots instead of 14 thanks to WHS. Traded wins over first 5 then I went from the 6th to 17th without a bogey. 3 birdies in that run and plenty chances, given the conditions I’m stoked about the manner of the 3&2 win that resulted. Felt in control of my game for a long time for the first time in a long time. Love playing in the wind and don’t mind rain, but when they come together it’s a distracting annoyance trying to manage everything, thankfully we only had 4 holes in that.

Good win especially giving away all those shots? your obviously not one to moan about playing high handicappers? I should be the best player on here the amount of wind we get, not a fan of playing when it’s windy.

D

Deleted member 3432

Testing northerly wind at Silloth this morning but stayed dry at least.

Shot 78 which although OK in the conditions should have been 2 or 3 lower at least. Converted 2 bogies into doubles through poor decision making. Miss the fairway round here, take the bogey and don't do anything stupid out of the heather...?

Putted decently at least. Going to have a very good round soon, hitting the ball particularly well with irons, just need to tighten driving up.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good win especially giving away all those shots? your obviously not one to moan about playing high handicappers? I should be the best player on here the amount of wind we get, not a fan of playing when it’s windy.

Quite the opposite ? I only stood a chance because of the wind.

On the short par 4s and par 3s he won plenty, his pars were good for wins there. But on the longer holes and those into wind he couldn’t get to the green in 2 and so gave away his shot advantage. On a calm day with the run we have he could easily make up the deficit. I played this guy 12 times after lockdown 1 and won 3 or 4 times max, never by more than 2 holes, and that’s giving 14. I had no chance with 16 even playing as well as I did.

So believe me I would be the first to complain he gets too many. And I have no doubt I’ll be back soon to moan again soon ?

Zig

Visit site
A beautiful evening for golf on the Cumbrian Coast, the sun was shining ? and the wind was blowing ? a lot. Getting much more accustomed to playing in the wind now, judging club distances better and putting better too, all just slightly better but some progress is better than none!

The view from the 5th tee, which runs right along the coast line and was playing pretty much straight into the wind:
View attachment 36693

From the 5th fairway towards the green:
View attachment 36694

Looking towards the Criffel Hill across the Solway in Scotland from the 5th tee:

View attachment 36695

Awesome pics. I'm not a member, or have any connection to the course. But felt obliged to write this...
I spent the day there last weekend. I've played it about half a dozen times over the last few years - but not at all last year due to covid.

This course is incredible. It has it all. Short and long holes; the gap wedge Par 3 10th, the gorgeous par 5 5th along the beach. The Par 3s on the back 9 are fantastic - 5 irons and rescues. There are punchbowl and sunken greens, and a par 5 on the back nine with an elevated green with run offs in all directions.

Elevation changes are subtle, but add loads of interest, particularly on the front nine. The heather and gorse add both definition and challenge in equal measure. Visually, there are lots of similarities to Royal County Down about some of the holes (though admittedly, without RCDs grandeur).

Anyone who finds negatives is being particularly picky - yes, the 11th isn't the same scale as the other holes (but the proposed changes to that and 12 will quickly sort that), and the greens were a little slow (but some friendly weather will no doubt bring them on).

You can'd build or develop the things this place has naturally. It's among the very best us normal golfers can play. And much more fun than many of it's more illustrious neighbours. IT deserves to be spoken about as such, rather than a 'hidden gem' or a remote underrated links. It's very special, and I'll be back later in the summer for another try!

D

Deleted member 3432

Awesome pics. I'm not a member, or have any connection to the course. But felt obliged to write this...
I spent the day there last weekend. I've played it about half a dozen times over the last few years - but not at all last year due to covid.

This course is incredible. It has it all. Short and long holes; the gap wedge Par 3 10th, the gorgeous par 5 5th along the beach. The Par 3s on the back 9 are fantastic - 5 irons and rescues. There are punchbowl and sunken greens, and a par 5 on the back nine with an elevated green with run offs in all directions.

Elevation changes are subtle, but add loads of interest, particularly on the front nine. The heather and gorse add both definition and challenge in equal measure. Visually, there are lots of similarities to Royal County Down about some of the holes (though admittedly, without RCDs grandeur).

Anyone who finds negatives is being particularly picky - yes, the 11th isn't the same scale as the other holes (but the proposed changes to that and 12 will quickly sort that), and the greens were a little slow (but some friendly weather will no doubt bring them on).

You can'd build or develop the things this place has naturally. It's among the very best us normal golfers can play. And much more fun than many of it's more illustrious neighbours. IT deserves to be spoken about as such, rather than a 'hidden gem' or a remote underrated links. It's very special, and I'll be back later in the summer for another try!

Great feedback, we don't leave many visitors disappointed.

Boomy certainly takes some great photos :cool:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite the opposite ? I only stood a chance because of the wind.

On the short par 4s and par 3s he won plenty, his pars were good for wins there. But on the longer holes and those into wind he couldn’t get to the green in 2 and so gave away his shot advantage. On a calm day with the run we have he could easily make up the deficit. I played this guy 12 times after lockdown 1 and won 3 or 4 times max, never by more than 2 holes, and that’s giving 14. I had no chance with 16 even playing as well as I did.

So believe me I would be the first to complain he gets too many. And I have no doubt I’ll be back soon to moan again soon ?

What are both your h/cs? I’m 17 and probably average around 5 pars a round, bit surprised he’s beat you so often?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are both your h/cs? I’m 17 and probably average around 5 pars a round, bit surprised he’s beat you so often?

I’m off 5 and he’s off 21 depending on the course but 18 is a fairer number and he’d agree but generally goes to pieces in a comp. He’s short but a better putter than me and probably most Cat 1 golfers I play with. Can’t pitch over anything to save his life but will chip and run from 70 yards to 6 feet. He’s a heartbreaker!

There are only two holes on which if he bogies I need par to win, all the others I need birdie and no one birdies that often. I need him to slip up (double bogey so my par is a win) or I have to play the hole in perfect order, you don’t get lucky birdies. It’s not like you giving 16 shots to a 33 handicapper because they are far less likely to put consistent runs together, and holes can be won with up and down bogies so you can have bad shots and still win a hole. So generally my best chance for a win is a long difficult hole, where he struggles to make the green in 2 and misses the bogey putt. I still have to make par but it’s doable. Most Cat 1 guys don’t make more than 2 or 3 birdies in an average round, of course they’re capable of far more in a worldy but that’s not week in week out.

He’s wins way more often than me. We’ve been at this years. I have to hope for high winds/bad weather and play out of my skin for things to tip in my favour. So yeah, lower handicap moans about giving too many shots - stop the press ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m off 5 and he’s off 21 depending on the course but 18 is a fairer number and he’d agree but generally goes to pieces in a comp. He’s short but a better putter than me and probably most Cat 1 golfers I play with. Can’t pitch over anything to save his life but will chip and run from 70 yards to 6 feet. He’s a heartbreaker!

There are only two holes on which if he bogies I need par to win, all the others I need birdie and no one birdies that often. I need him to slip up (double bogey so my par is a win) or I have to play the hole in perfect order, you don’t get lucky birdies. It’s not like you giving 16 shots to a 33 handicapper because they are far less likely to put consistent runs together, and holes can be won with up and down bogies so you can have bad shots and still win a hole. So generally my best chance for a win is a long difficult hole, where he struggles to make the green in 2 and misses the bogey putt. I still have to make par but it’s doable. Most Cat 1 guys don’t make more than 2 or 3 birdies in an average round, of course they’re capable of far more in a worldy but that’s not week in week out.

He’s wins way more often than me. We’ve been at this years. I have to hope for high winds/bad weather and play out of my skin for things to tip in my favour. So yeah, lower handicap moans about giving too many shots - stop the press ?

All I can say he sounds to be the exception to the rule if I had to bet on who would win a match play between a 5 h/c and a 21 h/c I would put my money on the low guy.

Last week I played a match play against a 4 h/c so I had 13 shots on him but lost 5-3 he was far to good for me and played a different game to me. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Holy Cow....
The Hotchkin was an absolute beast yesterday.
Simply didn't have the consistency of ability to play it in those conditions.
20 to 40mph winds, spells of light rain between the heavy stuff.
I've never been in deeper bunkers...
Ground started filling with water by the end..a fair bit of standing water..
Out on the Bracken this morning - hopefully the rain stays away.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I can say he sounds to be the exception to the rule if I had to bet on who would win a match play between a 5 h/c and a 21 h/c I would put my money on the low guy.

Last week I played a match play against a 4 h/c so I had 13 shots on him but lost 5-3 he was far to good for me and played a different game to me. ?

That’s the adopted wisdom if you like but I reckon if my buddy and I play 10 matches and both shoot our handicap each time, he will win more often then I do , because whereas he will throw away a good few shots on one or two holes Im more likely to consistently par, bogie and throw a few birdies in without a big blow up. But for him it’s just a loss and he can go on to par or bogie a run or holes in which I have little chance of winning.

I get what you’re saying and if a 4hc is on his game it can be intimidating, especially if he’s a big hitter and you think you’ve lost your shot advantage off the tee already. But with 13 shots, bogey golf is good enough to hang in there unless he’s having a really good day. So should you get drawn again you are absolutely in the game, a good run of holes can be unbeatable! Try to bogey the long holes, even if that means laying up on a par 4 and getting on in 3. He’ll find those ones hard to birdie. Then par the ones you don’t have a shot on and make him need birdie to win, you’re capable of it, but defo don’t be intimidated it’s all to play for ??

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
34pts in today’s individual stableford, same as last week’s score. Could have been better as was on 33pts stood on the 17th tee and then hit my worst drive of the year.

Just need the consistency now, parred SI 1 & 3, hit some great irons and holed some nice putts. Unfortunately though had three blobs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Much better day at Woodhall today.
Still a bit of wind and rain but nowhere near the scale of yesterday
Bracken was really quite enjoyable
Very playable, rewarded good shots and didn't spit in your face when you got it wrong...
Him with the vastly oversized handicap shot 36 points and me, playing the best I've played all year managed 35.
A grand couple of days...now en route to Sunny Scunny and on to the OFAWs tomorrow

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve been unlucky out of the 3 match plays I’ve entered they have been 7-5 and 4 h/c ?.

The 4 h/c was just to good for me and I was never in the match, the 7 h/c was closer but I was always struggling to stay in the match, but both these games were at my away course which was the first time I played there for a year and a half.

I have to play the 5 h/c who I know very well at the end of next week but this is at my home course and is possibly be my best chance, I’ll take onboard your comments and try to stay positive ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weird old round today. Two birdies, but only one par, and lots of bogeys. Too many stupid unforced errors. Both the birdies sunk from 20 feet, but I still missed some from 2 feet. Made a 32 point 89 gross in the end, the only blob was when it took me 3 shots to get out of the deep pot bunker on the 17th, the sand was drenched and solid, just impossible. Running theme lately that my good golf is better than ever but the bad golf is as bad as it's always been.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Invitation Day at Lilley Brook, better ball 85% course handicap off the yellows!
Course was wet to say the least, but playable.
19 pts stableford front nine was pretty average but we had a hot back nine, coming home in 3 under gross which included two birdies from me and an eagle two from my partner.
Finished with 43 pts, no idea if that's a good score or not, results will be posted on club website later in the week!