I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 15344

First Medal of the year - windy as hell , battled like hell for a 71 , thought that would give be a good chance of a top 3 overall - Check an hour later as the winds get stronger - net 63 , 68 and 69 in 😲
Even worse it’s a non q

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
First medal of year for me. Back went into spasm for a few holes, but fortunately wore off. 82 gross, nett 70, so definitely in buffer, and perhaps a small cut. Putting was terrible though pins were on some nasty slopes. Thought high winds and rain might have meant something easier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very pleased to today in today winds (gusts around 40-50 mph) just one double bogey and a round of 11 over. Best score in our group but sadly no win as we play drawn partners.

Hardest thing was keeping the putter still at address and the hands were a bit chilled as I lost a mitten on the first tee, blown away on the wind whilst I was watching somebody else tee off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played at Ruislip today, waste of time really. Started off well, 12 points in the first 6 holes so I was on track for a decent round, but then the wind kicked in and the wheels came off. 45kph winds which made some holes just impossible, plus the course was absolutely sodden as well. Not unlike playing on a giant green sponge. The rough was a nightmare, mud everywhere. Ended up with 28 points even though I felt like I hit the ball quite well for the most part. Oh well, wind is meant to have buggered off by next weekend.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
First medal of year for me. Back went into spasm for a few holes, but fortunately wore off. 82 gross, nett 70, so definitely in buffer, and perhaps a small cut. Putting was terrible though pins were on some nasty slopes. Thought high winds and rain might have meant something easier.
Finished second today, but no doubt weather will be better tomorrow and will slip down the field. No handicap cut before tomorrow’s 1/4 final of winter league.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pairs stableford today, both scores counting. Winds gusting around 45mph all the way round and a real grind. Managed 32 points individually which I was really pleased with. Let a few go especially the last five holes and some really scary club selections required including a 3 wood to the 178 yard 13th which was nailed and still came up short. Pleased with how creative I was in the conditions to get it round. We were lying 3rd overall when I left so may pick up a few quid

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played park wood with son in law. The course should’ve been shut as it was like a bog.
Lost 3 balls that plugged in the fairway.
They do a decent full English!

D

Deleted member 16999

4BBB Comp today, played ok, very windy still which helped on a few holes. 35pts for us.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Good win in the winter league knockout. Now in the the semi final. Four over gross when we won on the 16th.

Very windy but at least dry. Playing yesterday in the medal definitely helped with conditions and pin positions today.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Bit late, but played Saturday, the 9 hole course at Dartmouth. The wind come the second nine was blowing 50 - 60mph. Quite happy with 30 points playing off 18.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a TeeTours event today at Sutton Coldfield GC, Am/Am Stableford.

I was playing my Slazenger Ambassador set - 1, 3 and 5 woods, 3 to SW and putter.

The course was enjoyable but I played some of the worst golf I can remember, I just couldn't generate any power and everything was coming up short, chipping had gone back to it's worst and, apart from one good putt from off the green for a birdie, my putting was distinctly average.

I didn't let the team down though as we all played rubbish, I'm embarrassed to say that our score was 57...... (That's best two to count from four!)Slazenger Ambassador set.jpg

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not played since Christmas eve, we're in the process of moving to Spain so my weekends are tied up with working and preparing for the move.

I'm desperately missing being out on the course , but I guess I'll get my payback once we've moved - La Finca Golf will be 5 minutes from our house.

Still, managed a couple of hours in the Virtual Golf Centre at Cleckheaton yesterday, me and the boy basically trying to rip it as hard as we can for 18 holes.

Really enjoyable.

The lad's been having lessons there, and his swing is continually being tweaked. I'm genuinely excited to see how low he can get his handicap, at 9 years old his swing is one of the best I've seen for such a young kid. Starting to generate power now as well as he grows up. I reckon by the time he's hit teenage years he'll be knocking it way past me.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors Stbfd this morning. Realy good round apart from 2 holes, couple of doubles, 41 points good enough for 3rd place, I lost on countback.

Highlight of the round was a 2 on a par 4 (full length 7 iron second shot)

Low point was missing 4 6 footers on the greens. Not to surprised as we are getting mixed growth at the moment from the mixture of grasses on the greens and being near the end of the field the wear around the holes was quite noticeable.

Some 'good' scores from the high handicappers 46 and 44 points, glad I am not competing against them.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
First comp of the year but a bit away from Q comps yet. First off the back sticks after a well shortened course over winter.

Typically the toughest comp of the year and it didn't disappoint. Course shut with rain all weekend and still pouring for the first 6 holes.

Played some good stuff but yippy on short putts. Even missed a 1 foot birdie putt. Did manage to finish bird par bird for a top 10 35 points.

50yard pitch from fairway bunker on 18 to 6 foot on the last the highlight.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
First qualifier of the year on Sunday (after a night shift with zero sleep)
38pts with a few iffy holes on the back 9 after poor choice due to tiredness. Wee little cut back to 3.4. Apparently the wind made the course quite hard. Never noticed 😆

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First qualifier of the year on Sunday (after a night shift with zero sleep)
38pts with a few iffy holes on the back 9 after poor choice due to tiredness. Wee little cut back to 3.4. Apparently the wind made the course quite hard. Never noticed 😆
Good man. What do you do for a living then? Some effort especially off such a low handicap to start with.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good man. What do you do for a living then? Some effort especially off such a low handicap to start with.
Surveyor on the railway. Was working Oxford way. Didn’t get off track till 6am, Surprisingly didn’t feel tired. (I seem to be okay if I keep up on liquids)
Still not sure how I got a 0.3 cut. No results posted yet, but have been handed the cut.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surveyor on the railway. Was working Oxford way. Didn’t get off track till 6am, Surprisingly didn’t feel tired. (I seem to be okay if I keep up on liquids)
Still not sure how I got a 0.3 cut. No results posted yet, but have been handed the cut.
Take the cut and any win or top three is a bonus after that. Maybe think about a power boost for the last few holes to keep the concentration going all the way round. Still impressive though