I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Finished second today, but no doubt weather will be better tomorrow and will slip down the field. No handicap cut before tomorrow’s 1/4 final of winter league.
All the results from the March medal sudenly disappeared off the club website yesterday, and have reappeared today showing the CSS has increased from 70 to 72 on the day I played. I have therefore been cut to 11 !

Wolf

Visit site
Just played in the Midweek roll up, no expectations as was feeling mentally crap. Put a new 3 wood into play today set at 14°, front half +2, back half - 1, 73 gross for 43 points and little win of the money. Bought lads I played with a beer and put rest in the H4H charity pot, just seemed right thing to do today. Course was in great condition and greens couldn't be better just in time for the season ahead. Just need to convert these sort of rounds into the qualifier rounds which I've not been doing. But today's golf has Certainly cheered me up now going to enjoy a nice sunny afternoon off.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
21 points on the front 9, mainly thanks to leaving the driver on the bag, and just hitting my 5 iron off the tee.

Took the driver out on the 10th, promptly duffed it. Put it back in the bag where it stayed for the rest of the round.

Ended up with 41 points which I reckon is my best ever score when playing on the proper set up as opposed to forward tees / temp greens in the winter. Still not enough to win as one of my 4 ball got 42, grrr!!!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Disaster today, can’t get used to this new grip, booked a lesson with a new guy, see where it takes me, feels like my game is going backwards 😫

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played at Stoke Park with Fragger, CVG and CVG's mate Chris.
Fragger' acquired a voucher in an auction at Xmas and the day included £30 in the restaurant after...good job too as it was mighty pricey!!
The golf was ok.
Not much more, not much less.
It was very soft and the greens were, to be honest, a bit poor. They'd been fined a while back and we're still obviously recovering. They were anything but smooth and they were very slow.
Didn't have a good front 9 scoring wise without actually playing badly - just couldn't score..
Back 9 was better and played to handicap and walked off with 29 points, well behind Chris with 35 but, most importantly, ahead of the others.
Pace was good on the front but slower on the back.
All in all, it was nice to play there but I'm glad it didn't cost too much because the £85 normal green fee is too much at this time of year and, unless it improves dramatically, £115 midweek and £180 at weekends is stupid money for what was a decent, but not much more than that, course. Fragger got the voucher for £250 so the day cost £62.50 each with nearly half of that for food.
Still, another new course ticked off the list but I don't think any of us will be rushing back to pay that sort of cash.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Fragger' acquired a voucher in an auction at Xmas and the day included £30 in the restaurant after...good job too as it was mighty pricey!!
The golf was ok.
It was very soft and the greens were, to be honest, a bit poor. They'd been fined a while back and we're still obviously recovering. They were anything but smooth and they were very slow.
Didn't have a good front 9 scoring wise without actually playing badly - just couldn't score..
Back 9 was better and played to handicap and walked off with 29 points, well behind Chris with 35 but, most importantly, ahead of the others.
All in all, it was nice to play there but I'm glad it didn't cost too much because the £85 normal green fee is too much at this time of year and, unless it improves dramatically, £115 midweek and £180 at weekends is stupid money for what was a decent, but not much more than that, course. Fragger got the voucher for £250 so the day cost £62.50 each with nearly half of that for food.
Still, another new course ticked off the list but I don't think any of us will be rushing back to pay that sort of cash.

Also some of the bunkers are huge with quite steep banks and no obvious way in, apart from jumping, which makes getting out a bit of a faff.

Also some bunkers have only one way in , and if your ball is at the far end, you then have to backtrack and rake 25 yards of sand, which slows things down a tad.

An ok place to play, you are obviously paying for the ambience,and the exclusiveness of the Stoke Park Brand and there is no denying the quality of the facilities.

Some outstanding holes, but as Imurg said the greens were pretty average.

Can’t argue with £32.50 for a round there, but hard to justify the normal midweek winter fee of £85.

Big Jim

Visit site
The golf was ok.
did you see James Bond or Auric Goldfinger ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The golf was ok.
A fairly decent assessment of the place. A very nice ambience and history about the place but once it came to the course I was a little underwhelmed. I played it at the other end of the season and so the greens were much smoother but again the pace was a little slower than I expected. I bypassed the restaurant so can't comment on the prices or the quality.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing amazing, nothing terrible, just steady golf and 36 points.

I went out with the sole intention of just performing my pre shot routine for every single shot, which I did.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
1st time out since hurting my back about 3 months ago. 15 holes after being stuck behind 2 separate 4 balls that took forever to wave me through.

Only hit 1 out of 15 fairways.

Lost 2 in the water at the last.

And somehow still had 30 points for the 15

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
32 points at an open at portsallon. Fairly windy and battling hooks for the first 7 holes.

5 3putts one being a 4putt bogey the lowlights.

Highlight nearly holing out for an ace on the 10th. 6 inch bird.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Played Portsalon for the first time today, absolute gem of a course. Highly recommended if you are ever in the area.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
PGA Midlands Pro-Am today at my own club, we’ve playing all winter and never really clicked, but today we did.

My assistant Pro who gives me lessons came 1st out of all the Pro’s from across the Warwickshire & West Midlands counties with an impressive -4.

As a team, best 2 from 4 (90%) we scored 92 points (-20) to also come 1st.

I’d just bought and worn some new Ecco Biom shoes, so after a nice £75 pick up, they’ve only cost me £85, result 👍

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
.......God it was hot. Sweated like a pig and was carrying. Up and down bluddy hills, i was in bed at 10 and asleep by 10.01. I'm still drained now. Fitness soon clears off when it's not being used.