I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Bloody freezing this morning, think you will see me in the “I bought today” thread shortly for mittens and hand warmers.

Anyway, scored really well, +4 with 14 pars and 4 bogeys. Think it shows my improvement this year as I was disappointed with my score as I missed birdie putts from 8, 7 and 3 foot. Also missed par putts from 12, 5, 5 and 3 foot. Really should have been level par today.

I was the only 1 of the 3 of us that was putting in a card so this will get me another cut and I think it will also get me down to 2.9 and the first time ever in the 2’s.

The other lads shot -3 (he really should have put a card in 😁) and +2 (with him sending one OB). Good golf from all of us.

RichA

Visit site
First comp at my new club and the first outing for a set of new (to me) irons. Nothing to lose, because I've been utter 💩 this year, my handicap flatters my current game and it was just a friendly tin-pot Greensomes.

I was partnering a pal who moved to the club a few months before me.
Even though we both thought we were garbage, we won by a shot with a net 69. 🥳

But, it turns out it was actually some sort of major and I wasn't eligible to enter due to lack of comp rounds. Just waiting for the disqualification message. 🤣

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
First comp at my new club and the first outing for a set of new (to me) irons. Nothing to lose, because I've been utter 💩 this year, my handicap flatters my current game and it was just a friendly tin-pot Greensomes.

I was partnering a pal who moved to the club a few months before me.
Even though we both thought we were garbage, we won by a shot with a net 69. 🥳

But, it turns out it was actually some sort of major and I wasn't eligible to enter due to lack of comp rounds. Just waiting for the disqualification message. 🤣

I can just hear the rumblings in the clubhouse……

“You hear about that new fella? Entered the greensomes, his first ever comp, and won. Turns out he doesn’t put any cards in. Handicap must be duff.”

Just kidding! Seriously, that’s bad luck. Well played and congratulations on the win that wasn’t, especially given the format can be tough if you’ve not been playing too well.

RichA

Visit site
I can just hear the rumblings in the clubhouse……

“You hear about that new fella? Entered the greensomes, his first ever comp, and won. Turns out he doesn’t put any cards in. Handicap must be duff.”

Just kidding! Seriously, that’s bad luck. Well played and congratulations on the win that wasn’t, especially given the format can be tough if you’ve not been playing too well.
We only entered for a laugh so it will be no loss. The members we were sitting with after were busy discussing another couple of incidents in a different group and our apparent shenanigans hadn't been exposed at that point.
I'm sure my card will be marked for next time.
Ironically, I'm so bad at the moment that by the time I've entered 5 minor comps to qualify for a big one my HI will probably be up. I reckon it's flattering me by 3 or 4 right now.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Instead of walking around the village I took the boy to the golf club for a walk.
I played off the yellows just to see what my score would be .. sadly I hooked 2 off the tee at the 4th so went to stableford to see what would be the outcome.. 19pts with a blob. None of the fairway bunkers come into play.
The boy has an eye for reading the greens 👍 .. he also witnessed a birdie and saw a lip out birdie chip .. he is so lucky to have such an experience

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Medal today. After last weeks 99, I had spent the week grinding on my drills and even got out for 4 holes with my daughter on Friday night - and my swing was feeling great.

Started bogey, par, birdie, bogey, par and was feeling very good. An unfortunate double on the 6th was followed up by a bogey, and three doubles. Mainly due to poor short game, I was leaving all my chips short and even 3 putted from 7 feet!

Rallied for the next few holes with par, bogey, bogey, birdie, par. Then made another double due to a poor chip shot and finished bogey, bogey for a gross 86, nett 77.

13 shots better than last weekend and I could have easily shot an 80 had I chipped better!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
October Stableford - last white tee event of the year I suspect (and hope - course is too long off the white markers when it starts to get moist)

Played steady away up to the 7th - 4 over par, then hit a cracking 5 wood up to the 8th green - said to the guys I was playing with "I'll take a 3 putt from there for a 4", and that was the start of the downturn. Wrong mindset..

I did make a 4 , then a double, a blob and then another double.

Steadied the ship with 3 bogies and a birdie then threw it away again with 3 doubles to finish on holes where I should be making par.

34 points and a little cut incoming.

That'll be it for the serious competition golf this year - I've struggled with a bad back all year but despite that have dropped from 17.3 to 15.2 - reasonably happy with that.

Target next year will be to get into div 1.

Springveldt

Visit site
There was a PCC of -1 yesterday 😮 which means I only got a 0.1 cut to 3.0.

Bit gutted by that, thought I was into the 2’s for the first time ever.

To be fair the course is playing really easy at the moment. Rough is way down, all the rain last week has softened up the greens a touch and there was only a 1 club wind yesterday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Two weekend rounds that got away from me. Played a greensomes comp with Dufferman from here. Had 32 points with 2 holes we didn't score on and were still mid-table and had we even got one point on those holes and maybe converted a putt somewhere else had a serious chance of a top 3. Played the usual Sunday roll up yesterday and out in +4 (20 points) but bogied 13 for a single point and then had 1 points on 14, 15, and 16. Trying to force a drive on 17 I was out of bounds by lass than a foot and didn't score. Had 32 points and 26 won so definitely a round that got away. Yet again the handicap didn't move.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So last night, instead of cabbaging the night away mingling on the iPad whilst Missis T watched emmerdale and Cora. I got a couple of old books outta the garage re golf swings etc. when I read them last night time after time I was reading stuff I had been taught as the basics of a swing , yet realised I was no where near “ doing that”. So today I made a conscious effort to
“ “ do that”. By and large my biggest problem has been my driving. The first three holes were iffy, but after that I hit every fairway.
The stance etc felt alien but it worked. However my three woods which normally help me out massively were shocking. What was excellent was my short game. It was at another level.
Bit more reading on 3 woods tonight.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
So today was the day I got to play the JCB.

What an unbelievable experience from start to finish. On arrival I had someone take my clubs out my car and walk them through to the practice area. Not had that done before.

Next up it was bacon sarnies followed by pinging a few darts at the pins in the practice area. Once arriving at the first tee we collected our towels, sleeve of balls etc. I took about 15 pencils for extra mementos. Love a freebie.

Now on to the golf.

Our organisers have set up an individual stableford, 2 betterball from our 4 balls, nearest to the pins on all the par 3’s and nearest to the pin in 2 on two holes. Our group decide to do a side bet of match play pairs.

After a great tee shot on the first with an 5 for 2 everything went down hill quick. I had 7 points after 8 holes without a single par. As you can imagine, I found it tough. I should have brought my bucket and spade. My PP is carrying me for our side match play game.

Up I step to hole 9. A par 3 and pretty much my favourite hole from visiting the LIV golf a few months ago. I’ve stiffed it, 2 for 4 points. It’s all on camera, I am absolutely buzzing and go into the back 9 very optimistic but only with 11 points. However we are all square in the match play.

Up pops the halfway house. Without doubt the best sausage rolls I have ever had and wash it down with a bottle of madri. It was at this moment I realised everything was paid for by the organisers and I am living the dream.

The back 9. I shoot 20 points. No words needed there. Unfortunately my PP didn’t shoot well on the back 9 and we lose 2 & 0. Some great memories made with a couple of guys I’ve only met that morning.

Turns out my back 9 powered me through to shoot the best stab score in my fourball with 31 so was actually very happy with myself in hindsight.

Changing rooms and facilities were excellent. The food they put on after will live long in the memory, the seafood barbecued teriyaki tiger prawns were insane.

After a couple of pints we watched the prizes being dished out, none of us got any on the day but I think the whole experience was main winner. You cannot put a price on something like that, it felt like i was some sort of celebrity but no, it was just a council estate lad living his best life.

Attachments

• d23a516f-0032-4510-9c13-a22aa2973e18.jpeg
    d23a516f-0032-4510-9c13-a22aa2973e18.jpeg
    877.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 2254175b-4682-46f7-92df-90241aac1b6d.jpeg
    2254175b-4682-46f7-92df-90241aac1b6d.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 397963be-53a7-4d34-b0ec-dc0e37bb3762.jpeg
    397963be-53a7-4d34-b0ec-dc0e37bb3762.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 18
  • e7bbd80d-9a6f-4fe1-a611-5e9a534e39f8.jpeg
    e7bbd80d-9a6f-4fe1-a611-5e9a534e39f8.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 43d0d17c-7225-4d51-be1a-989ca11440ce.jpeg
    43d0d17c-7225-4d51-be1a-989ca11440ce.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 15
  • eb85d013-9336-460f-9b95-ae375dc39c61.jpeg
    eb85d013-9336-460f-9b95-ae375dc39c61.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 15

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So last night, instead of cabbaging the night away mingling on the iPad whilst Missis T watched emmerdale and Cora. I got a couple of old books outta the garage re golf swings etc. when I read them last night time after time I was reading stuff I had been taught as the basics of a swing , yet realised I was no where near “ doing that”. So today I made a conscious effort to
“ “ do that”. By and large my biggest problem has been my driving. The first three holes were iffy, but after that I hit every fairway.
The stance etc felt alien but it worked. However my three woods which normally help me out massively were shocking. What was excellent was my short game. It was at another level.
Bit more reading on 3 woods tonight.
Plane Truth is a good book to read

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another solid round yesterday, 37 points, the highlight being a lovely birdie on 17, good drive, great 2nd to the heart of what is a very tight and well protected green, rolled the putt in from about 6 feet.

Only downside was a few bad holes in a row from 12-14. Despite shooting 40, 38, 38 and 37 for my last 4 rounds, I am still prone to these temporary slumps on the back 9. I think its a mental thing as much as anything, just seem to lose concentration for a few holes before giving myself a bit of a shake and getting back in the groove.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another solid round yesterday, 37 points, the highlight being a lovely birdie on 17, good drive, great 2nd to the heart of what is a very tight and well protected green, rolled the putt in from about 6 feet.

Only downside was a few bad holes in a row from 12-14. Despite shooting 40, 38, 38 and 37 for my last 4 rounds, I am still prone to these temporary slumps on the back 9. I think its a mental thing as much as anything, just seem to lose concentration for a few holes before giving myself a bit of a shake and getting back in the groove.
Still good shooting. I am still struggling to play 18 holes without throwing in a bad hole and not getting any points on it. Never the same hole

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Stableford Joker comp today; pick one hole each on the front and back 9 to count double.

I scored 43 (38 without the jokers), which I didn't think would be enough but it looked as though it might be leading right to the end until a guy in the last group came in with 38 points excluding jokers, looking at his card I can't imagine his total score being worse than mine and he had a better back 9 so I'm pretty sure he's won it.

On a positive, I had a counting score dropping off but should have beaten it by a small margin with today's score.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not playing but supporting my friend who was representing England in the Four Nations Sport Parkinson's internationals at The Belfry. great day despite the gloomy weather and plague of flies and very humbled how these guys go about playing the game we love . Even got to meet Gavin Hastings and my mate played with Mark Foster and Shaun Udal , 2 extremely nice gentlemen .