I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hosted at Kilworth by Crow with Mrs Upsidedown and Voyager.
Was there to pick up some Slazenger vintage irons and persimmons from Crow 😃
30% light showers was forecast and we got absolutely drenched on the 3rd in horrendous rain and wind which did for 2 brollies. Thankfully weather cleared and had very pleasant back 9. Loved the new clubs and can't wait to try them around Shifnal.
Cheers guys for another great day .
Ooh and daughter had baby girl at 3.48 😍

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
30% light showers was forecast and we got absolutely drenched on the 3rd in horrendous rain and wind which did for 2 brollies. Thankfully weather cleared and had very pleasant back 9. Loved the new clubs and can't wait to try them around Shifnal.
You got laminates not persimmons.
Mrs Upsdwn got some very nice persimmons, however. ;)
The 4 woods in my bag today were all laminates.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Yes, the monsoon was unexpected but didn't dampen the competitive edge of team Upsidedown, especially Mrs' Upsidedown who played an inspired game that saw hands being shaken on the 14th green.
My vintage "British Car Rental" umbrella withstood all that the weather could throw at it. :)
The greenkeeper is off my Christmas card list though, fancy scheduling greens maintenance week on the biggest day of the club's year?

Great to meet up and hopefully we can get at least one more old school game in before the year is out.

(I had two laminates and one persimmon in the bag, all misbehaved in equal measure.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are off at 11.36am and looking at the tee sheet you are just two groups behind at 11.52am. Enjoy the round.
Great meeting up with you @GG26 …as you said…my accent gives me away…🤷‍♂️😘

Anyway looks like you coped with the wind as well as me and my partner did 😳🙄

But joys, our two mates Kev and Neil playing with us had a stormer…Kev especially…off 17 he played just bonkers well and had some incredible luck - and on the four holes he didn’t come in Neil did. And so they had 48pts, though we thought 49 they said 48. Well, so be it and no matter, they still won the whole thing by three points and to top it off Neil won the longest drive.

Though I didn’t play well at all it was an absolute joy to see our mate Kev, who has often struggled when we’ve played together, just have the most fantastic round.

And my final thoughts. We often read on here complaints about absurd scores winning better ball comps. Well 48 or 49 points is pretty bonkers - especially given how fiercely strong the wind was on the exposed escarpment of the Cotswolds that Cleeve Hill is situated - but yesterday showed how it can happen without players being bandits…just some great playing and incredible good luck.

BTW…the views and setting of CH are stunning…and the course is a real challenge and both the course and clubhouse are ‘throw-backs’ to what golf used to be like most places, unpretentious and glorious. Loved it…despite my golf.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Very average round, 32 points but I did make an unusual bogey on our 4th hole, stroke 1. My tee shot hit the ladies tee marker and sent my playing partners scattering as it screamed backwards past them at knee height. No time to shout fore. Finished well and truely lost thirty yards behind the tee. :eek:

Made a birdie with my second ball, holing the longest putt I can remember from the back of the green to a front pin. Probably the longest green on the course. Think I will play mulligans next round.😉

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played tonight and shot a decent 13 over 84. Made three birdies, the highlight of which was on the par 5 12th where I hit my driver 310 yards to leave me a 9 iron in!

Birdie on 18 was the icing on the cake.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Very average round, 32 points but I did make an unusual bogey on our 4th hole, stroke 1. My tee shot hit the ladies tee marker and sent my playing partners scattering as it screamed backwards past them at knee height. No time to shout fore. Finished well and truely lost thirty yards behind the tee. :eek:

Made a birdie with my second ball, holing the longest putt I can remember from the back of the green to a front pin. Probably the longest green on the course. Think I will play mulligans next round.😉

That’s a very good “3” on there.

Last time I played Blackmoor I ended up in the bowl just to the left of that green with a flag a couple of paces on. Managed to judge a putter up the cliff face perfectly to leave a tap in

Mandofred

Visit site
In trouble the whole round. I think I hit one good drive. Strong hook showed up....no idea where that came from. In the trees off the tee numerous times. But.....+3 at the end. Still not sure how. Although spending the day scrambling on almost every hole keeps it from getting boring. That 64 degree wedge I bought a few months ago is just a magic club for me and saved my butt again and again. Only playing about once a week these days.....other things taking our time.

Severof

Visit site
Played St Patrick's at Rosapenna today. American 4 ball in front thought they were in the World matchplay final. 5 1/2 hr round. Wouldnt call us 2 though as they finished over an hour behind their 4 ball in front. 20mph winds, way too many 3 putts. Some great holes , and fantastic pictures, but many other holes forgettable and few and far between. Not sure about Rick Shiels rating as best new course in the world. Wouldn't pay that money for it again. Maybe the 4 ball snails in front put a dampener on things. Maybe i just played bang average. Would be nice to see how it develops in 10 yrs if I'm still going.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
i wasn't in the best frame of mind for our medal today, but I did start off with a birdie, before 3,4 and even 5 putting meant my score was particularly bad. i have decided to take some time out from playing club competitions as I am not enjoying golf very much at the moment.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last evening and I was -2 after 4 holes and was thinking I had a good round going. 3 putted 5 for bogey, missed a 7 footer for birdie on 6 then boarded the bogey train and couldn’t get off. Ended up +9 at the finish while feeling I didn’t play that bad. 30mph winds, couldn’t stop the ball on the greens and my putting reverted to absolute gash, just never had the speed of them all evening. Was 0 of 9 on putts between 5-10 foot.

No damage done other than throwing £4 away in the sweep.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fundraising 4ball scramble today with lots of sponsors
Most seem to have alcohol on tap

Great day in the sun, bit windy but that's not unusual, missed prizes by a shot but won a voucher for nearest that gives dinner for two

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
What an utterly bizarre game of golf I've just had.
Comp off the whites started with a fresh air shot on the first tee :eek: but finished the front 9 1 over.
Made a mess of the 16th by chipping from off the green into a bunker, took two to get out the second of which cannoning off a ball and into the hole... 5 for 2 points 🤣
Walked off with 41 points but I'm not really sure how 😬

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great meeting up with you @GG26 …as you said…my accent gives me away…🤷‍♂️😘

Anyway looks like you coped with the wind as well as me and my partner did 😳🙄

But joys, our two mates Kev and Neil playing with us had a stormer…Kev especially…off 17 he played just bonkers well and had some incredible luck - and on the four holes he didn’t come in Neil did. And so they had 48pts, though we thought 49 they said 48. Well, so be it and no matter, they still won the whole thing by three points and to top it off Neil won the longest drive.

Though I didn’t play well at all it was an absolute joy to see our mate Kev, who has often struggled when we’ve played together, just have the most fantastic round.

And my final thoughts. We often read on here complaints about absurd scores winning better ball comps. Well 48 or 49 points is pretty bonkers - especially given how fiercely strong the wind was on the exposed escarpment of the Cotswolds that Cleeve Hill is situated - but yesterday showed how it can happen without players being bandits…just some great playing and incredible good luck.

BTW…the views and setting of CH are stunning…and the course is a real challenge and both the course and clubhouse are ‘throw-backs’ to what golf used to be like most places, unpretentious and glorious. Loved it…despite my golf.
That was a stunning score from your friends in that wind, congrats to them. One of our fourball was pleased to see the longest drive that Neil hit as he was frustrated at having been just six inches behind the previous mark.

The course is unique, but I had forgotten the stunning views from the top of the hill. Worth playing there for those alone.

Good to catch up @SwingsitlikeHogan and will see you at H4H.