I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

sjw

Visit site
My first ever match for the club today. Delighted with how I played. We won 4 and 3 having been dormie 6.

Five of the seven holes we won were down to me (two pars, two birdies and a bogey). The birdies were long one-putts, probably a combined 50 feet.

I had a brutal lip out on the 13th which would've won it, but ended up rolling in a 30-footer for the win on the 15th.

Driver was pretty good. Two 290+ drives, mostly the usual slightly wayward, and one topped just off the tee box. Really pleased with how I hit the ball in general though.

A few bandit jokes but generally in good spirits. Lovely weather for it too

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a board competition. Scoring at the start was good then fell off on the 9th for 2 holes, then picked up again so was not competitive.
However driving was very good and the length was there with a couple of big ones. 3 wood was a little wayward used when the driver was too long. But I sorted that out and was back in the fairway..
I would argue that my irons or 2nd shots were weak today but the rest of my game is better than handicap… just need to convert it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out this morning. Cracking round in lovely warm weather! Shot 81 with two birdies - including one on the new par 3 that I don't think I've birdied before. The other one came from sticking a 5 wood to about three feet! 37 points. Driving was finally back to somewhere near it's best, been working hard on trying to swing in to out rather than cutting across it and I managed to minimise the slice and hit so many fairways. Hit 50% greens in reg too which is very high for me. Slightly ruined the round with two doubles in the last three holes (including a very baffling 4-putt where the green didn't do at all what it was supposed to do) but still can't complain. My putting was actually very good aside from that.

I have a round coming off and this one was slightly better so may get a 0.1 cut, which takes me back to where I was before Friday's round.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
First game in well over a month, wasn't expecting much, but pleasant suprise level after 9, dropped a shot on 10, but then went birdie birdie birdie on 11,12 and 13. Dropped a shot on 18th. I was happy with my game, but I'm so out of love with the game I couldn't care less.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently up in Lossiemouth playing the Moray Open.

Played a practise round today on the New Course which I seem to struggle with every year.

Was very windy today but bright and sunny and I managed to knock it round in 81 (par 70) which is three shots better than I've managed in previous years.

Competition proper starts tomorrow for me on the Old Course, before returning to the New on Tuesday. Hopefully a half decent knock tomorrow will set me up and not put too much pressure on Tuesdays round, in my attempt to qualify for the matchplay stages of the comp.

stgolf37

Visit site

Played a practise round today on the New Course which I seem to struggle with every year.

Was very windy today but bright and sunny and I managed to knock it round in 81 (par 70) which is three shots better than I've managed in previous years.

Competition proper starts tomorrow for me on the Old Course, before returning to the New on Tuesday. Hopefully a half decent knock tomorrow will set me up and not put too much pressure on Tuesdays round, in my attempt to qualify for the matchplay stages of the comp.
All the very best. I was a Member there for 6 years playing in the MO every year. I went back last year (from Cyprus) and shot Gross 71 on the New 1st Day but struggled 2nd Day on the Old (beers on Monday Night) and missed the Scratch cut by 3 shots...got in to Div 1 KO but didn't have a great run. Have a lovely week and enjoy what es presented in front of you

Springveldt

Visit site
Second round of the club championship yesterday. Continued on my poor finish from day one with a treble on the first but managed to keep my head and get to the turn at +4. Finished poorly again going bogey, birdie, bogey to shoot 78 but with the course rating being 73.6 and the treble coming down to a double for handicap purposes that made the round a differential of 2.9 which I'm delighted with. Also had the only 2 on the day for £33 which was nice.

The favourite ended up showing his class yesterday by shooting 68 to win by 3 from my mate.

Hopefully they will cut the rough down a little bit now so you actually have a chance of finding your ball when it goes in. The treble on the first was a lost ball on the left (stood on a Pro V1 while looking for mine) then my provisional was 100 yards away in the right cabbage. Managed to find that one somehow and had a Bob MacIntyre moment when I addressed the ball as I ended up standing on another ProV1 under my right foot which none of the group noticed when looking for mine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a little rollup knock off forward tees this morning. Off 5 isn’t so easy and my 32pts isn’t great, but it’s just 9 over gross which for me is pretty good of late (my scoring has been awful) and so things definitely heading in the right direction…in good time for H4H 😉

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

not played Moray in about 5 years, last time was the Scottish Hickory. i always enjoys around on the old and tend to shoot ok scores there. might have to look at country membership again next year, that probably cheaper that paying the green fee a few times :LOL:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
First round proper of the Moray Open today...had a mixed round on the Old Course....generally pretty steady apart from three holes where I seemingly lost the ability to hit the golf ball cleanly and dropped 7 shots in a total round of gross 86 nett 74.

Course is playing much longer than in previous years due to the fairways being in better condition (has plenty of grass on them) and the overnight rain we had on Saturday night which has really softened things up.

Hopefully a sensible round on the New Course tomorrow shooting something below 84 gross should see me qualify for the matchplay stages.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
First round proper of the Moray Open today...had a mixed round on the Old Course....generally pretty steady apart from three holes where I seemingly lost the ability to hit the golf ball cleanly and dropped 7 shots in a total round of gross 86 nett 74.

Course is playing much longer than in previous years due to the fairways being in better condition (has plenty of grass on them) and the overnight rain we had on Saturday night which has really softened things up.

Hopefully a sensible round on the New Course tomorrow shooting something below 84 gross should see me qualify for the matchplay stages.
A member I know was successful in the ballot and we've got an 8am tee time on the Old tomorrow! Hopefully the forecast is accurate, as that'll make for a lovely round!
Not sure which tees we'll play off, but I could do without it playing longer if we go off the blacks!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A member I know was successful in the ballot and we've got an 8am tee time on the Old tomorrow! Hopefully the forecast is accurate, as that'll make for a lovely round!
Not sure which tees we'll play off, but I could do without it playing longer if we go off the blacks!
i think hes playing Moray Old, rather than the Old course

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Shot 88 off the blacks on the Old Course. Couple of silly bogeys to start, and then eased in with a few pars and a birdie on the par 4 6th. Out in 41.
Then had a mare on the par 3 11th where I tried twice to get out of the greenside bunker aiming at the flag before admitting defeat, going out sideways and then getting up and down.
Then had an even bigger mare on the 13th, losing a ball in the gorse and then topping the second ball and eventually three putting! Idiot.
Put my tee shot on 17 in the hotel, and then made birdie (also known as bogey!) with the second ball - 179 yard 4 iron to 5 foot for my second shot!
And then left a massive breaking 20 foot putt about 6 inches short of the hole for birdie on 18... getting a round of applause from the gallery amassed behind the green. In for 47, so an 88. 8 pars, 1 birdie and we won't talk about the rest!
What a lovely way to spend a day and only cost me £80, with a member.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Shot 88 off the blacks on the Old Course. Couple of silly bogeys to start, and then eased in with a few pars and a birdie on the par 4 6th. Out in 41.
Then had a mare on the par 3 11th where I tried twice to get out of the greenside bunker aiming at the flag before admitting defeat, going out sideways and then getting up and down.
Then had an even bigger mare on the 13th, losing a ball in the gorse and then topping the second ball and eventually three putting! Idiot.
Put my tee shot on 17 in the hotel, and then made birdie (also known as bogey!) with the second ball - 179 yard 4 iron to 5 foot for my second shot!
And then left a massive breaking 20 foot putt about 6 inches short of the hole for birdie on 18... getting a round of applause from the gallery amassed behind the green. In for 47, so an 88. 8 pars, 1 birdie and we won't talk about the rest!
What a lovely way to spend a day and only cost me £80, with a member.
Jon Sherman who wrote the Four Foundations of Golf was playing the Old today as well 😀
Cracking day for it 👍🏻☀️☀️☀️