I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

crdb

Visit site
Played last night, get my first eagle in over 2 years on the second hole! Safe to say I'm very happy with my game this week.. Finished 11 holes (unusual hole layout but the best twilight loop) 2 over par after an annoying double bogey on the 6th.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A frustrating end to what should have been a good card...now simply a decent one.
Starting on 10 I made 2 pars to start then had 4 bogeys and 3 birdies to turn +1 for 22 points....
Going along nicely at level 2s on the 2nd 9...an untidy bogey followed another and another until a mahoos8ve bad bounce put in a greens idea bunker, feet outside, ball nearly a foot below my feet....amazed I made contact but it flew through the green...I didn't realise I was using an anti gravity ball...the chip back just stopped on a slope you could ski down in the winter....made double.....
Still, 80 blows (+9] and a 0.3 cut sees me back to 8.
It's going in the right direction..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A frustrating end to what should have been a good card...now simply a decent one.
Starting on 10 I made 2 pars to start then had 4 bogeys and 3 birdies to turn +1 for 22 points....
Going along nicely at level 2s on the 2nd 9...an untidy bogey followed another and another until a mahoos8ve bad bounce put in a greens idea bunker, feet outside, ball nearly a foot below my feet....amazed I made contact but it flew through the green...I didn't realise I was using an anti gravity ball...the chip back just stopped on a slope you could ski down in the winter....made double.....
Still, 80 blows (+9] and a 0.3 cut sees me back to 8.
It's going in the right direction..
Well done. Keep trending down

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors Championship today, I started well with birdies on the 2nd and 3rd and another on the 9th but sandwiched between was a horror quad bogey on the 7th, I was lucky not to lose my ball three times as I battled down the right hand rough.

Steady back nine and I finished on 84, nett 70 which is four under handicap so should see a bit of a cut coming.

The winner scored 81 gross, nothing to shout about except that the guy is 82!

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I was at London Golf Club yesterday for our company's charity golf day, course was in great condition and I think it's a good test. It was pretty warm and some signs of a golf swing appeared... still too many mistakes and it took me a few holes to really commit to hitting a draw after weeks of a slice.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors Championship today, I started well with birdies on the 2nd and 3rd and another on the 9th but sandwiched between was a horror quad bogey on the 7th, I was lucky not to lose my ball three times as I battled down the right hand rough.

Steady back nine and I finished on 84, nett 70 which is four under handicap so should see a bit of a cut coming.

The winner scored 81 gross, nothing to shout about except that the guy is 82!
Well done him, shooting his age. I shot 69 (gross) in a comp a couple of weeks ago and our pro said I’d be shooting my age soon. I did have a hard paper round but I’m only 62 and par is 70🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a day off today to play a round with my wife, my dad and my uncle. We chose Chartridge Park - looks a nice gentle, short course judging by the scorecard. Couldn't be further from the truth. Front nine is rollercoaster of quirky holes with 45° slopes on fairways, multiple blinds tee shots, six foot drops just off the back of the green and all sorts of mayhem. The three of them were knackered in the 29° heat by half time. The back nine was like a different golf course, quite sensible by comparison!

We set it up as a Stableford betterball match, me and my wife vs the old-timers. My dad started quite well so we were 2 down after two, but we'd already turned it around to take the lead after the 5th, and we ran away with it after that. 6&5 winners.

My front nine was pretty poor as I struggled on a couple of the silly holes. I think I have a problem; when I look at a hole from the tee box and instantly hate it, I just cannot hit a good tee shot. So two blobs on the front nine meant 11 points at the turn, but I still felt I was playing well, striking the ball well. That proved to be a fair assessment in the end as I managed 19 points on the much more sensible back nine to hit the magic number of 30. 😄

My wife came 2nd in the individual stakes with 22 points, including a genuine par on a 300 yard par 4, finished with a glorious 20 foot putt. Dad managed 19 and my uncle, was struggling with a lost contact lens and a broken hearing aid and only managed 12 points, bless him. Although the course ratings are very mean there and only granted him 17 points when he's recently come down to 19 from 21-22.

Anyway, I wasn't complaining about the heat, it was lovely to play without the threat of rain for only the second or third time all year.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a strange game in this weeks competition, due to my recent poor rounds i had a lesson earlier in the week and the coach pointed out a couple of things that I had let slip so I was keen to see how much impact the corrections had made, on the up side I had 7 pars and a birdie but against that I had 4 blobs (stableford comp) as I was losing my best counting score my handicap rose again, alhough not by as much as it should because of the soft cap

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A nine hole par 3 course with 2 mates last afternoon. I was 6 over and struggled with striking the ball properly or holding off wedges when between clubs.
But couldn't have cared less, as 3 years ago, one of the lads suffered a cardiac arrest and was in a coma for 3 weeks. 6 month recovery period in a truly amazing brain injury charity hospital helped him back to a less than normal life, but a good life nevertheless.
Brain trauma has led to one hand not really working at all and the other with 60% mobility. Struggles a little with motor skills, but he uses a baseball style grip and just sees what happens each swing.
I loved watching every one of his shots and air shots and heavy-handed putting.
Just so inspirational!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went out last night as part of my Sunday preparation.
Course was all clear and I blocked one on to the 2nd fairway.. this is a good line if your long enough. But as I was walking up a mixed 4 ball came from the 9th and started up on the 2nd. They then proceeded to phaff, I let my patience deal with it. But they held me up on my 2nd shot up the 1st and then all the way down the 2nd .. and this was their warm down hole … suffice to say it was really ignorant and selfish behaviour.
I will mention it to the pro on Sunday.. I don’t mind a warm down hole but if someone s playing the hole before you wait.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Been an interesting few days

Had a society day at Studley Wood on Wednesday

Not a great front 9 turning in 3 over with a few 3 putts

Three birdies in the next 4 got me back to level and then missed a few putts but nice solid level round

They decided to remove the longest drive prize this year because it’s really only a couple can win ( I have won it the last 5 times ) so changed to nearest the pin in two - won that and also two NP on par 3s

Then Friday - Capts away day at Harpenden, something didn’t fell right as I was driving there

30 mins before the start I opened the car and realised - I forgot my clubs 😂😂😂😂😂

The pro was very kind to lend me his clubs - and a demo driver

Played well with the driver ( Q10) but struggled with his putter and wedges as well as inconsistent with the irons ( Apex MB’s )

But finished with 33 points

Today felt good ( had my clubs 😂 ) so decided to put a card in - shot 2 under front 9 and 1 over back for a 1 under round

This was also spotted on our 15th

8057764b-d073-4bb4-bb1c-c796e222bf4e.jpeg

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Board comp medal today.
A bit untidy for the first 5 holes today - 5 bogeys and two of those were single putt - then one over par for the next 13 holes. (SD = 4.5)
That could be 0.3 downward movement 5.2 to 4.9. Eighth best score was the biggest I've had so far - glad to knock that off.

82 of the 114 scores in so far and I am 20th place. (EDIT: 26th out of 114 entrants)

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
A social juniors (45 and 53) v fossils (65 and 69) 4BBB matchplay game this morning. Great fun. We won 1 up having been 5 up after 10.
My round was the usual mixture of dog and god. Bogey, triple, bogey, the next 8 holes in 1 under par then a sackful of 💩 to close out the round.
I hate golf, then I love golf, then I hate it again.

Springveldt

Visit site
First round of club championship today going off in handicap order with tomorrow going off in scoring order. Aim was to make sure I wasn’t in that first group tomorrow and try and shoot under 160 combined for both rounds.

First time playing off the black tees, certainly adds distance to a few holes but I was pretty solid for 14 holes, was only +3 on the 15th tee but had a horror finish of double, par, double, double to sign for an 81. Sitting 19th of 33 so mission accomplished in not going out first tomorrow.

Although it was a +9 the differential is only 6.2 due to the 73.6 course rating from the blacks so it’s actually a counting score as I have a couple of 6.4 in my counters.

My mate is leading with a 70 with second and third on 72. Think it’s between those 3 as the fourth guy is on 75.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strokeplay off whites, Saturday is usually stableford off yellows. Not happy about that, probably a set up error on the computer 🙄.

Played decent enough, better than my score suggests. As the TV commentators like to say though, the putter was stone cold 😔. Very annoying.

Course was oddly damp throughout, dew not lifting?, which meant run was minimal. Boooooo. I reckon I've only played 2 courses this year with decent run.

Good company, very enjoyable.

Springveldt

Visit site
Strokeplay off whites, Saturday is usually stableford off yellows. Not happy about that, probably a set up error on the computer 🙄.

Played decent enough, better than my score suggests. As the TV commentators like to say though, the putter was stone cold 😔. Very annoying.

Course was oddly damp throughout, dew not lifting?, which meant run was minimal. Boooooo. I reckon I've only played 2 courses this year with decent run.

Good company, very enjoyable.
Finally saw a little run today at Newbiggin, a few heely cuts ran out past where I’ve been hitting good ones to lately. Ball just seemed to be going miles today with the tropical 20C temps.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don’t know whether to laugh or cry after todays round.

Strokeplay off the whites, had a net 71. But … 4 lost balls ….

A real case of what could have been. 67 is winning out of a field of 99.

Looking at the positives, most of what I did was very good, just a pity that 2 poor drives and 2 loose second shots crippled me, 8 shots lost as a result. Not to mention a missed putt from a foot on 17.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Team handicap match at home today. Didn’t play great but managed to edge it 2/1. Rain was horrendous for most of the round. That’s the third time this week that I have been soaked on the course. Team won overall so all good in the end.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Me and the wife played the second course at Montrose Links. My wife didn't fancy the main 1562 course as she thought it would be too long.
What fun the Broomfield was. Less than 5000 yards but brutal rough and tiny greens. Terrible front 9 lost a few balls, steady on the way in. Had a walk round the main course it's in lovely condition and being used as a qualifier for the Senior Open next week.