I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Swango1980

Visit site
Played a 2-ball texas scramble with myself yesterday afternoon as the course was quiet.

Very pleased with the results - if ONLY I could have 2 chances at each shot in the medals LOL
I've always thought how good it would be if I could play a 3 ball texas scramble with myself in every singles competition, but the rest of the world only sees me play once each time. Like I can pause time for all 3 shots, and then discard the time for the 2 worse shots.

I might try it some time, but it'll need to be a time I can be bothered to go out alone. And not have anyone behind me, as I'll need time to go and fetch the rubbish ones from the bushes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always thought how good it would be if I could play a 3 ball texas scramble with myself in every singles competition, but the rest of the world only sees me play once each time. Like I can pause time for all 3 shots, and then discard the time for the 2 worse shots.

I might try it some time, but it'll need to be a time I can be bothered to go out alone. And not have anyone behind me, as I'll need time to go and fetch the rubbish ones from the bushes.
I think instead of getting 13 shots for my round I should get 13 Mulligans. I wonder which round would be better? I reckon the Mulligans round would shade it.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think instead of getting 13 shots for my round I should get 13 Mulligans. I wonder which round would be better? I reckon the Mulligans round would shade it.
That would be an interesting test.

On your worst days, 13 Mulligans would probably be better. It'll be pretty clear when you need to take a mulligan, after you've smashed one OB or in a horrible place. Could well save you multiple shots.

But, on OK or decent days, I bet your 13 shots would be better. You won't have many horrific shots you know a mulligan will save you multiple shots. So, at best you'll take a mulligan where it might save you 1 shot, which you might as well take off as your handicap at the end instead. And, if you mess up your mulligan shot, you are really on the back foot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would be an interesting test.

On your worst days, 13 Mulligans would probably be better. It'll be pretty clear when you need to take a mulligan, after you've smashed one OB or in a horrible place. Could well save you multiple shots.

But, on OK or decent days, I bet your 13 shots would be better. You won't have many horrific shots you know a mulligan will save you multiple shots. So, at best you'll take a mulligan where it might save you 1 shot, which you might as well take off as your handicap at the end instead. And, if you mess up your mulligan shot, you are really on the back foot.
Yeah.. would be impossible to know really but I think if you did 20 rounds of each the Mulligan rounds average score would be better. (Points done off scratch once you've used the 13 Mulligans of course.) Just because as you say, one Mulligans turns a 7 into a 5 or a 4 potentially.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah.. would be impossible to know really but I think if you did 20 rounds of each the Mulligan rounds average score would be better. (Points done off scratch once you've used the 13 Mulligans of course.) Just because as you say, one Mulligans turns a 7 into a 5 or a 4 potentially.
On my good days, I probably don't get any doubles (or maybe a rare 1), I get around 10/11 shots. On those days, I don't think a mulligan will turn all those bogies into birdies most of the time. Might turn a few more into pars, but that is of no benefit really if I don't get the shot on my handicap at the end. And, a few of those bogies would probably remain as bogies, or God forbid, much much worse. So, I think I'd happily take my handicap over mulligans.

Swango1980

Visit site
Although, you've got me thinking of a fun format (I'm sure it must have been played before)

Everyone gets mulligans at the start of the round, equal to their Playing Handicap. They don't have to use any of them, but if they do, that is taken off their handicap at the end.

Therefore, there would be no point in taking a mulligan if you miss a short putt. But, if you do something very nasty, you can take a mulligan and just lose a shot from handicap. You'll need to choose wisely, as you'll ultimately need to save yourself 2 or more shots to benefit, save one shot and you are no better or worse, and don't save a shot or do even worse, your mates will be laughing at you.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wooler senior open. Absolutely fantastic day, 20 degrees and 2 mph winds.

Like the course, my golf was very up and down, managed a couple of birdies but lost about half a dozen balls in those ferns.

Lovely down to earth club though, £10 for the open was great value. The views are worth that alone.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
7 hole this evening. Driver was okay irons okay , nothing major. I have tried some different balls, chrome x , Wilson triad and staff .. all are okay, but the staff doesn’t offer the same amount spin as triad but flies longer off everything. But I think the chrome x is best so far and given there is very little cost difference. I will try the tour response from TM tomorrow or sometime that’s suitable.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Out last night with a pal. Sunny, still as a millpond and quite soft underfoot with the torrential rain over the weekend so thought the greens would have softened up - so I decided to put a card in to celebrate the end of summer!

Shot a 10 over 79 with just one double. Was 4 over after 13 and then collapsed to go 6 over through the final 5 holes.

Still a cut though and it was the first time I'd felt like I'd got the hang of my new driver. Kept up with my mate who was generally a good 20-30 yards longer with my old driver.

Lovely way to sign off the summer!

PaulMdj

Visit site
IMG_6792.jpegPlay Newbiggin today for the first time, great course, proper links, 11 over which is handicap off the yellows.

Tee to Green was very good, helped by @Springveldt giving me a course break down.

Greens beat me up, couple of members I spoke to said they were fast.

Best of all, light winds and lovely blue skies.

Dread to think what it plays like in strong winds.

Well worth a visit if up in Northumberland.🏌🏻‍♂️

Visit site
Cross-posting from Pictures as that part of the forum is dead.

I played the Dunas Course at Terras da Comporta, Portugal (last week!)

However good it looks, it’s actually better than that. Genuinely a world class golf course already, could easily push top 3 or 5 in Europe.

Back 9 noticeable less mature than the front 9 but conditioning of the front was incredible.

Interesting to me that I was on about the 9th hole thinking “this could host a Ryder Cup with some adjustments” and then I hear they are building another course a few miles down the road, Sergio’s designing it, and it’s going to be even better…

We paid about €150, and I reckon in a few years it’ll be a €500 type place and possibly requiring a hotel stay (once built). The money being pumped into this place was beyond anything I’ve ever seen.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played Furnas Golf Course on the Island of Sao Miguel in The Azores on Monday, playing it again on Thursday and Friday

Currently on a golf tour with my society.

It’s a Mackenzie Ross course dating from 1936 and is absolutely lovely, lush, green with established trees and loads of shrubs.

Went off like a train scoring 19 points on the front, playing off my society handicap of 24, the course suits my eye.

Only 12 on the back, but 31 was the best score of the day , so plus 20 euros

Really looking forward to playing it again tomorrow image5.jpegimage3.jpeg

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Yesterday, Midweek Medal, was out later in the day and stood on 17 I knew I needed a par par finish for a level nett par round of 69 to give me a chance of coming 3rd on countback.
My front nine was gross 41, 6 over and needed my back nine to be gross 35, 1 over.

I bogeyed our SI 6 seventeenth hole meaning I needed to birdie the last, SI 10 par 4 downhill ! I usually just take a 5/6 iron, then 9i / PW to the green and hope to two putt for par, but decided I better go all out and get as close as I could to the green to try and setup a shortish putt!

Boom.

Attachments

• bird.JPG
    bird.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 14

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill last week whilst on hols in the Cotswolds. Just about broke 100 but had a great time. Such a fabulous course which is really enjoyable to play. Very hard work in the wind though, and it seems to be almost permanently going up hill! Well worth it though and the views from the top over Cheltenham are glorious.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Weather was meant to be overcast today, but was wrong, absolutely lovely, blue skies and sunshine, no wind, and 5 over for 13 holes, course had closed 5 holes around the back to do some drainage work.

IMG_6803.jpeg