I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yesterday I was at Preston for a senior ladies rosebowl competition, conditions had definitely changed from last week, the course was wet from heavy overnight rain and the was quite a breeze that kept changing direction, or so it seemed. After a nice par on the first I had a couple of double bogeys, but then I settled and did not have worst than 5 on any of the holes from 4 to 16.

Then I we arrived at the 17th. This is a tough hole, a par 5 dogleg with a stream right in front of the green, I do not have a good record playing it, but I hit a nice drive to the middle of the fairway, then hit a good wood, which unfortunately veered slightly off line and caught a bunker on the corner of the dog leg, I got it out ok but was left with about 140 to the green, which is on my limit, so I elected to aim a little left of the green for safety and although I hit the ball well it was just a tad too strong and disappeared into the Himalayan Balsam, I dropped another and played that to just short of the green, worried that the ball might run away down the green and into the brook I hit it too soft and did the same with my first putt, I ended up with a 10!

Having seen the results I finished 4 behind the nett winner, a bogey on 17 and I would have most likely won on a CPO. Still at least I am (mostly still playing well, on the down side I lost the best score of my 8 and have had another handicap increase :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yesterday I was at Preston for a senior ladies rosebowl competition, conditions had definitely changed from last week, the course was wet from heavy overnight rain and the was quite a breeze that kept changing direction, or so it seemed. After a nice par on the first I had a couple of double bogeys, but then I settled and did not have worst than 5 on any of the holes from 4 to 16.

Then I we arrived at the 17th. This is a tough hole, a par 5 dogleg with a stream right in front of the green, I do not have a good record playing it, but I hit a nice drive to the middle of the fairway, then hit a good wood, which unfortunately veered slightly off line and caught a bunker on the corner of the dog leg, I got it out ok but was left with about 140 to the green, which is on my limit, so I elected to aim a little left of the green for safety and although I hit the ball well it was just a tad too strong and disappeared into the Himalayan Balsam, I dropped another and played that to just short of the green, worried that the ball might run away down the green and into the brook I hit it too soft and did the same with my first putt, I ended up with a 10!

Having seen the results I finished 4 behind the nett winner, a bogey on 17 and I would have most likely won on a CPO. Still at least I am (mostly still playing well, on the down side I lost the best score of my 8 and have had another handicap increase :(
Good shooting regardless especially in tricky conditions

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Archerfield with mate, treated him to a day out down there to say thank for the hours he put in helping me renovate the bathroom a couple of months ago.

Great day even though it was a bit misty for the most part but he enjoyed it despite neither of us playing all that well and that is what it should all be about, just enjoying the day on a nice course with some cracking food afterwards.
If that's the pay out next time you need any help with DIY give me a shout. :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Midweek Stapleford and ..
A. It was bloody cold
B. The wind was a blowin'
C. I played like a knob
D. Waste of a fiver.

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Mid week medal.

Double on the first, +4 gross after 13, playing some super solid golf and then two poor tee shots cost me a triple on the 15th and 16th, but I rallied hard to par the last two for a 10 over gross 82, net 72.

A big 'what if', but I've got so many positives to take away from the round.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
8:18am tee off in a seniors stableford comp this morning. Bit chilly on the first tee, 7°C feels like 5°C.
Yellow tees and I came 6th out of 33 with 36 points. Should go from 4.7 to 4.5 for that.

240912 score.jpg

The putt I holed for par on the par-3 sixth hole was longer than the putt for par on each of the 4 previous holes. I really was staring at 6-over for 6.
Got inspired after that and it did warm up a bit weather-wise as well.
Stupid game though, again.

My most recent 9 scores contain 7 of my best 8.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Florida Scramble at Tynemouth this morning. The 4 of us knitted together well for a gross 68 and net 54.1. We were leading when we left the clubhouse but no doubt someone will come in with a net 50.

Bit chilly to start with but turned into a lovely morning, very enjoyable day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mid week medal.

Double on the first, +4 gross after 13, playing some super solid golf and then two poor tee shots cost me a triple on the 15th and 16th, but I rallied hard to par the last two for a 10 over gross 82, net 72.

A big 'what if', but I've got so many positives to take away from the round.
I know that feeling. Came 6th in my division on Sunday with three doubles.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
played East Berks today in a handicap and scratch open comp. Great value, lovely course, good food and vibe at the club. Lived in the area for 33 years and this is one of the closest courses to me and never played. But very impressed. Some frinds said they were less keen with "crossover" holes etc. I did not see that at all - there are 2 holes - 4 and 17 - where you play over the previous green, but in reality that was no issue as you have teed off before the group behind is on the green. Fantastic condition, greens rapid and course very pretty and walkable despite some good undulations.

I think, in fact, 99% sure, i am now going to join there!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
played East Berks today in a handicap and scratch open comp. Great value, lovely course, good food and vibe at the club. Lived in the area for 33 years and this is one of the closest courses to me and never played. But very impressed. Some frinds said they were less keen with "crossover" holes etc. I did not see that at all - there are 2 holes - 4 and 17 - where you play over the previous green, but in reality that was no issue as you have teed off before the group behind is on the green. Fantastic condition, greens rapid and course very pretty and walkable despite some good undulations.

I think, in fact, 99% sure, i am now going to join there!
Like you I only played it a few years ago despite living in Bracknell for over 30 years. Helps that we have it as a reciprocal and I know the GM as she use to work at my club. I like it. Not necessarily a bombers course and never really noticed the crossover holes too and the greens are always good. I managed to hole out from the front right bunker on 18 last time I played in front of their supper club waiting to go out

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Florida Scramble at Tynemouth this morning. The 4 of us knitted together well for a gross 68 and net 54.1. We were leading when we left the clubhouse but no doubt someone will come in with a net 50.

Bit chilly to start with but turned into a lovely morning, very enjoyable day.
We finished 3rd in the end, 1.1 behind the winners. Nice prize in the form of vouchers.

The Florida format is good as it stops the low man taking the majority of shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Am toying with a Ping 5 wood, so if they can do one for a competitive price, might put the vouchers to that, and give the team mates the cash equivalent of their share. Otherwise it will be a top or some balls I guess.
If you are anything like me I probably have more than enough clothes and dare I say it, shoes, so a 5 wood would be nice. New wedges as they are the scoring clubs?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you are anything like me I probably have more than enough clothes and dare I say it, shoes, so a 5 wood would be nice. New wedges as they are the scoring clubs?
Funny you should mention shoes.

This time last week, I had the pair I normally wear, my previous pair, and a new pair in a box.

Got absolutely soaked up at Warkworth, so left my normal ones to dry and went with previous pair at the weekend. Only to find the previous pair are no longer waterproof. Slung them in the bin, got my normal pair out, only to find one of them is split at the side, so they are done as well. I’m now wearing the new pair, but could really do with a reliable backup pair.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funny you should mention shoes.

This time last week, I had the pair I normally wear, my previous pair, and a new pair in a box.

Got absolutely soaked up at Warkworth, so left my normal ones to dry and went with previous pair at the weekend. Only to find the previous pair are no longer waterproof. Slung them in the bin, got my normal pair out, only to find one of them is split at the side, so they are done as well. I’m now wearing the new pair, but could really do with a reliable backup pair.
I always wear new shoes on the range or practice ground for a while to break them in a tad

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After a very inconsistent few weeks I went out for a few holes this afternoon, trying find my mojo again. Back to basics, short backswing, slow swing. So many clean strikes, massive improvement. I might lose a bit of distance but the improved consistency more than makes up for that. Oh, and the enjoyment levels rocket as well ☺.

Also, consciously went back to a very deliberate, held V on my chips around the green. Don't know why I'd let that one slip, buffoon 🙄. Massive improvement there as well.

Now to remember and repeat in tomorrow's comp.

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Ahhh what a day for it. Best score at my new club (and something I have only achieved once before) by breaking 80. I probably should have very easily broke it but the mind started to wonder on the 16th tee and two doubles later I needed a par for the 79 on the last.

after hitting the green in reg I gave a huge sigh of relief only to leave a 15ft putt about 4ft short. Never let it get to me but thats probably the longest I’ve ever spent reading a putt.

2nd time out with the new clubs and its safe to say I like them.