I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Due to play an open/mini meet at south Shields yesterday courtesy of @Maninblack4612 . Sadly, a sea fret took care of that. As we sat in bar, willing the mist to lift @Springveldt pp offered to host us at his club, Close House. He waited until the last minute, comp had been cancelled, and then set off.

We played a pairs matchplay, @Springveldt and my mate, I played with his. Sadly my game didn't raise itself to the surroundings and I left my pp to do most of the heavy lifting. My game was way too inconsistent, I need a reset, go to the range and get back into a rhythm. Special mention goes to @Springveldt and his red hot putting. Shaved a few early on and then he found the lines. Bang, bang, bang. One after the other. Turned a 2 down deficit into a 3 and 2 win.

Lovely afternoon and we managed to turn a disappointment into a positive. Hopefully back to Shields again shortly.
Golf really is a bizarre game, for weeks I've been in this thread saying how well I've been hitting the ball and putting is killing me. Yesterday I hit the ball terribly but putted brilliantly, it just makes no sense.

Really enjoyed the round yesterday, cheers for the game and your mate can be my partner anytime. He's lethal getting 22 shots, won't be long before that comes tumbling down.

Also going to be reading Bob Rotella again this week, as you said, a sports physiologist would have a field day with me. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woburn Marquess course today with DeanoMK and Bdill93 - signed in by a kind friend of Dean's.

As I was putting my clubs on my trolley with the sound of thunderstorms over our heads, I wondered why the hell I was doing this to myself again after Thursday. But the pro shop team assured us it was passing over as we tentatively paid our green fees. Somehow, they were right - as soon as we teed off the 1st the sun came out, and it was baking hot for the entire round! Never saw that coming and was the luckiest I've ever gotten after gambling on the weather in my golfing life. 😄 Perhaps because Dean and I paid our dues on Thursday the world owed us one. Practically no one was on the course either!

Fantastic course. My golf did it no credit on the front nine, battling a two way pull/slice miss with driver; couldn't buy a par, and ended up blobbing the 7th and 9th with a couple of horrendous shots so just the 11 points out. Back nine was chalk and cheese though, driver started behaving itself, I finally got pars on the 11th and the beautiful 12th, then added two more at the end on 17 & 18 for a 20 point back nine. Respectable total of 31 in the end. Another cracking day's golf and thanks to Deano again for sorting it for us. 🙏🏻

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played at Prestbury today, a very nice but tough course, the course rating of 1.7 over par and a slope of 142 meant that even at 85% I was getting 15 shots.

I played pretty well again but didn't get too many breaks, being in a divot on the fringe of a green and plugging right under the lip of a bunker being a couple. I also managed putt of a green, after getting on the par 4 in 2 my birdie putt just passed the hole and then picked up pace and rolled off the green and down a bank I then chipped back over the green and then repeated it going back the other way so ended up blobbing the hole after having a putt for 4 points.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Warwickshire Earls Course

much too long for me, the walking didn't bother me but I struggled on par 5 holes that stretched 571yrd, not many par 4 that I could reach in regulation on a good day,

far to say my PP and I got soundly beaten 3&2 7

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Archerfield with mate, treated him to a day out down there to say thank for the hours he put in helping me renovate the bathroom a couple of months ago.

Great day even though it was a bit misty for the most part but he enjoyed it despite neither of us playing all that well and that is what it should all be about, just enjoying the day on a nice course with some cracking food afterwards.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played Skukuza golf club this morning in the Kruger National Park in South Africa. The most unique experience as it is unfenced with wild animals regularly on the course. Encountered Hyaena on the 5th which was fantastic. Lots of Impala, Hippo, Kudu, Warthog, Crocodiles and Vervet Monkeys about too.

Played badly but didn’t care at all!

Coincidently I just got a video clip from Skukuza with lions, hyenas & a croc all on the green at the clubhouse fighting over a carcass

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A nice 79 gross (+9 net 68 -2) in the medal yesterday despite three double bogeys. Didn't make any putts.

Played Tylney Park in a club match on Saturday. The greens had been cored (and not filled) and were so slow and the holes made it a lottery. I had a 5 foot putt on the 4th to win the hole and it started on line, hit a hole and missed 3 inches right. 4 down after 5 and always a struggle and lost 4&3 but didn't need one of the opposition to hole out for par from 100 yards on 15th when we had a chance to get a half. My partner and I didn't get going early on and just one of those days. Hit it well in places but a few errors going for shots I wouldn't have done if we were gelling as a team or the match was tighter. Shame about the greens as I enjoy playing there and a nice bunch

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Have you ever come off the course & said to yourself "I couldn't have scored any better today for the way I played". Well, today, the opposite happened. After a dire spell, which has seen my index go from 11.3 to 13.3, I scored 40 points in a casual game today. The thing is, though, it could have easily been 5 shots better. Three three putts & two birdie putts of less than 3 feet missed would have given me a score below my age. I really feel as I I could go out & do it again or better.

A medal round on Saturday, so we'll soon see.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played pretty awful at West Surrey in the H4H comp on Thursday and was a little disappointed with my ball striking, albeit in awful weather conditions, and not looking forward to yesterday's stableford comp. I played with 2 guys that I'd not played with before, and I could do little wrong. I shot 39 points in quite inclement weather and finished 4th on countback out of 103 entrants. A small handicap cut was welcome too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
'Tis my birthday so I played at Aldwickbury with my wife and two mates.

Frustrating round. Blobbed the 4th with two awful toe-sliced drives, but birdied the 5th to make up for it. Played pretty solid from there, after 15 holes I had 29 points, then I one-pointed the last three for a very disappointing finish - 90 gross and 32 points. On the 16th and 18th I hooked 5 wood out of bounds on the tee-shots, and hooked the 8 iron on the par 3 17th as well. Normally I'd be happy enough with 32 on a new course but I'm just so fed up of making baffling errors out of nowhere and cocking up two or three holes every single round. Handicap heading up to 15 now.

Edit: also, the 12th is a really stupid hole. 😂 A hedge running right across the fairway at my estimated landing distance with driver, so I hit hybrid for a nice safe lay-up - which runs right down the hill and ends up a foot short of the hedge anyway. A par 5 that you have to hit 7 iron off the tee? Not a fan really.

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
Choice after the GNR yesterday was either a short 5K run or a leg stretch on the course.

I went for the Golf option.😬

Nice 14 holes and 6 over gross, course was empty and weather pleasant.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was supposed to play St George's Hill Friday after H4H but we decided to call it off due to a dodgy weather forecast. Even today, my golf shoes are still wet from West Surrey! Also called off game on Sunday foe similar reasons and regretted it as it was a lovely morning against all the forecasts!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Was supposed to play St George's Hill Friday after H4H but we decided to call it off due to a dodgy weather forecast. Even today, my golf shoes are still wet from West Surrey! Also called off game on Sunday foe similar reasons and regretted it as it was a lovely morning against all the forecasts!

Mine are the same, I had to wear a new pair from my stock yesterday. I think it's fair to assume that any clothing sold as "waterproof" hasen't been tested at West Surrey golf club during a H4H charity competition

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Thankfully I have shoe deodorisers that I insert into shoes which help remove moisture

Highly recommended

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
(not really worth its own thread) but how are you guys drying your shoes!

Get them stuffed with newspaper and change it out for fresh stuff every few hours (about 4hrs), otherwise it cant absorb as much water, they'll dry much quicker
My drowned shoes took 4 reloads of newspaper in 1st day and were dry enough to wear two days after they drowned