I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday evening and it's been the story of my season really. Solid off the tee, approaches pretty good, short game good and putting abysmal. I thought I had solved the putting issues when I had 5 or 6 good rounds in a row but the last 3 rounds have seriously dented my confidence again. Time to read "Putting our of your mind" for the third time I think.

I'm going to start trying to get to the course 30 minutes earlier so I can spend that time on the putting green and I really need to use the lessons I bought off the club pro as I've still not had any yet but definitely need to.

Stokes gained from the round compared to a 25 handicap. Putting was that bad that Shot Scope don't even had a handicap range for it. It's not like I'm missing a lot of tiddlers or have the yips, I'm just not holing anything over 6 foot. Had about 7 birdie putts last night all in the 7-16 foot range and didn't make a single one. I actually managed a 3 putt bogey from 14 foot as I knocked the first one 10 foot past down a hill, was the only putt that made it past the hole all night.

Putting.jpg

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday evening and it's been the story of my season really. Solid off the tee, approaches pretty good, short game good and putting abysmal. I thought I had solved the putting issues when I had 5 or 6 good rounds in a row but the last 3 rounds have seriously dented my confidence again. Time to read "Putting our of your mind" for the third time I think.

I'm going to start trying to get to the course 30 minutes earlier so I can spend that time on the putting green and I really need to use the lessons I bought off the club pro as I've still not had any yet but definitely need to.

Stokes gained from the round compared to a 25 handicap. Putting was that bad that Shot Scope don't even had a handicap range for it. It's not like I'm missing a lot of tiddlers or have the yips, I'm just not holing anything over 6 foot. Had about 7 birdie putts last night all in the 7-16 foot range and didn't make a single one. I actually managed a 3 putt bogey from 14 foot as I knocked the first one 10 foot past down a hill, was the only putt that made it past the hole all night.

View attachment 54879
I would be a little cautious about getting to worried over your Strokes gained putting performance vs a Shot Scope data base.
Firstly for single or low numbers of rounds everyone's performance including the pros is highly variable.
Secondly I do wonder about the provenance of the data from which it is calculated.
I assume it is from Shot Scope users.
My own experience of Shot scope is that when on the green distances to the pin are not that accurately measured by the shot scope system and if people aren't scrupulous about tidying their own data the data may not be reliable. Also there are probably quite a few users giving themselves putts of various lengths further degrading the reliability of the data from which strokes gained are made.
Nothing wrong with using it as a reference point for yourself to see how you are progressing providing you are scrupulous about your data input but I suspect saying you are losing or gaining strokes compared with an 'x' handicapper is likely to be inaccurate.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
played in a team open at Honiton

started "karate chopping" my hands more if that makes sense, normal terminology for swing plane nerds.

Best I have driven the ball in years, a few over 300 which on a wet parkland was fantastic to see. Long and mid irons good. Fatted every single wedge shot. So would continually get the ball close from the drive and then take 2-3 shots to get to the green. Luckily putting was on fire or would have been terribly embarrassing

If I can get the wedge game going feels like I may hit some form for the first time in a long time

CountLippe

Visit site

Have you tried a gate drill? place two tees on the gound 1/4" wider apart than your putter head on each side. Practice swinging between the tees. You don't even need to use a ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
H4H forum day at West Surrey - with sawtooth, Blakey and Blakey's pal Ian. Without doubt the worst weather I've ever played golf in. Started in heavy drizzle and got worse... then worse again... then even worse again. Literally finished the last four holes in a thunderstorm. Utterly mental.

Starting from the 13th I went par, birdie for 7 points after two holes - great start. First blob came on the 16th after it took me two to get out of a bunker. A second birdie, on the 1st righted that though - found the green with a nice hybrid from the rough. Another blob came on the 7th (stupid three-putt when I had a reasonable chance to save a bogey), but sandwiched it with two pars so it didn't do too much damage. After sixteen holes I had 34 points but was more worried about getting in before any of us were struck by lightning. Rushed a tap-in on the 11th resulting in a double, and had a mare on the par 3 12th as I hit it clean over the green from a bunker, fluffed a chip from a soaking wet lie and blobbed my final hole, leaving me on 35. Was a disappointing finish, but the weather was seriously a joke by that point.

Really nice course, I actually found it a little more forgiving off the tee than Puttenham yesterday, hence the better score I think. Would be nice to play it one day without fear of drowning or being struck by lightning. My waterproof jacket and shoes gave up the ghost by the end and I'm not sure they'll ever dry out.

And as it turned out, 35 points was enough. 🤩

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240905_205449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240905_205449_Gallery.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 19

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
H4H forum day at West Surrey - with sawtooth, Blakey and Blakey's pal Ian. Without doubt the worst weather I've ever played golf in. Started in heavy drizzle and got worse... then worse again... then even worse again. Literally finished the last four holes in a thunderstorm. Utterly mental.

Starting from the 13th I went par, birdie for 7 points after two holes - great start. First blob came on the 16th after it took me two to get out of a bunker. A second birdie, on the 1st righted that though - found the green with a nice hybrid from the rough. Another blob came on the 7th (stupid three-putt when I had a reasonable chance to save a bogey), but sandwiched it with two pars so it didn't do too much damage. After sixteen holes I had 34 points but was more worried about getting in before any of us were struck by lightning. Rushed a tap-in on the 11th resulting in a double, and had a mare on the par 3 12th as I hit it clean over the green from a bunker, fluffed a chip from a soaking wet lie and blobbed my final hole, leaving me on 35. Was a disappointing finish, but the weather was seriously a joke by that point.

Really nice course, I actually found it a little more forgiving off the tee than Puttenham yesterday, hence the better score I think. Would be nice to play it one day without fear of drowning or being struck by lightning. My waterproof jacket and shoes gave up the ghost by the end and I'm not sure they'll ever dry out.

Well played that man!

Springveldt

Visit site
Have you tried a gate drill? place two tees on the gound 1/4" wider apart than your putter head on each side. Practice swinging between the tees. You don't even need to use a ball.
That's exactly what I'm going to try. Setting up a gate for the putter to swing through as one of my issues is actually centredness of strike with the putter, I've got a bad habit of hitting it more off the heel and causing pace issues.

One of the lads suggested that I set up the gate and then find a straight 3 foot putt and just roll them in for 10 minutes.

Springveldt

Visit site

Is that the new driver paying for itself already? :LOL:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Warkworth Seniors Open yesterday. The weather was brutal - chucked it down most of the way round, and a constant 30-35 mph wind. Was absolutely soaked by the end as thought I’d be too warm with waterproofs over my trousers. Bad decision.

Despite the above, had an enjoyable day playing the course for the first time. First hole is a lovely elevated 210 yard par 3, easily reached with a 5h thanks to the wind. The third is the standout hole, long straight drive into the wind needed to get over a big hill, particularly daunting on the back 9 (Warkworth is a 9 holer with 18 tee boxes). Pleased to report I managed it both times. Didn’t like 2/10 as lost a ball in the penal rough both times!

The other par 3 is 246 yards on the back 9, easily the longest par 3 I’ve ever played, was happy to stick my drive in a greenside bunker and settle for a 4.

Very friendly club well worth a visit. The open was a tenner a head which is ridiculous value.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hasn't arrived yet, that was the last round with the old one potentially - hence it behaved perfectly of course.

I didn't even get cut either because PCC stayed at 0. 😂
Did your score differential equal the one that dropped off? :geek:

Seriously, well done indeed.

Mrs V laughed out loud again when I read out your write-up this morning, even though you did really well this time.
Forty five years, and I still don't understand her.

3 jabber

Visit site
Hasn't arrived yet, that was the last round with the old one potentially - hence it behaved perfectly of course.

I didn't even get cut either because PCC stayed at 0. 😂
I can't imagine many people would have submitted cards in those conditions. I'm in the south and it was horrendous yesterday here. I didn't even consider going out to play. If yours was the only card and you had a decent score then PCC won't change.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine many people would have submitted cards in those conditions. I'm in the south and it was horrendous yesterday here. I didn't even consider going out to play. If yours was the only card and you had a decent score then PCC won't change.
When we started it was 'heavy drizzle' I'd say, and some of the weather apps were saying it might ease off at some point. They were wrong. But yeah, it has to be down to lack of cards put in. I don't know if there's a minimum threshold of cards for PCC to kick in. Just funny that people always link PCC to the weather (slightly erroneously) and the worst weather of all time was PCC 0. 😀

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When we started it was 'heavy drizzle' I'd say, and some of the weather apps were saying it might ease off at some point. They were wrong. But yeah, it has to be down to lack of cards put in. I don't know if there's a minimum threshold of cards for PCC to kick in. Just funny that people always link PCC to the weather (slightly erroneously) and the worst weather of all time was PCC 0. 😀

Its 8 cards I believe

Although I played last weekend in conditions similar to those being described for you guys yesterday and despite 50+ cards put in, the PCC still stayed at zero

Well done on your round though (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

On our 2nd last hole (the 12th) with the rain torrential, thunder rolling and conditions as ‘biblical’ as they were, @DeanoMK holed a putt from off the green for a great birdie…he emitted a great celebratory whoop and punched the air…I observed it was like Caddyshack. Fortunately he wasn’t subsequently struck by lightening.

I note humbly that I too let out a whoop on that hole…but for a par…and that par being my first of the round (and there were no birdies…). Yes…I was that bad…🙄🙃

But it was enjoyable (in a way) in that it’s always good meeting up and playing with forummers - yesterday @DeanoMK @dufferman and @GreiginFife - thanks guys 👍

AddisonRoad

Visit site

I noticed the same thing this morning when I checked my round - was shocked PCC was 0. However, maybe it's because not enough people submitted qualifying scores for England Golf to consider it for an adjustment.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What a day yesterday was.....
We started on the 7th, chose to walk it because 1 of our number had no transport to drive round as Fragger was walking to a different hole, and what a decision that was....
The rain did stop....for about a minute and just seemed to get heavier..
We got to the 18th and worked out we'd already been out for 3 hours - so had another 90 minutes plus the walk back...
A collective nod of " I can hear a beer calling" meant we finished 18 and called it a day
Our scores were never going to be anywhere near the prizes - I blobbed the first 3 a day won the 3 ball with 13 points - and it was becoming even more unpleasant
We saved ourselves much misery.
About 40 minutes after we sat down the real heavy stuff turned up and flooded the greens.
Lovely course though...would like to play it dry but I'm glad we came in when we did....

sjw

Visit site
22 points for me in that deluge and I'm starting to think it wasn't actually that bad from reading some of the other stories!

I started poorly through the first five holes, and that was when I decided to put the umbrella away (I know, hear me out!) because faffing with it and trying to work out where I was going to put it (I was carrying) was just extra cognitive load that I didn't need; I was getting wet anyway.

The only club that really behaved all day was driver, and I rewarded it by buying a new one in the auction.

My putting was absolutely abysmal, nowhere near as good as at Puttenham on Wednesday.

Speaking of Puttenham, I shot 32 points which was enough to give me the lead in the clubhouse when I got in (yes, I was the first group out, but I'll take what I can get). I did win a very unlikely nearest the pin on the 5th, where I must have been the only one to hit the green all day because I was about the furthest point from the pin you could possibly be and still be dancing. We joked that it probably wouldn't remain, but lo and behold it did. Somehow two-putted for a par from there as well, down a very harsh two-tier green.

The best hole however was the downhill 6th. Monstered a drive down there about 280. then fatted the approach. It bounced on the road that crosses the fairway, shot up in the air, landed and rolled down onto the green to about 8-10 feet, and I rolled in a birdie. No pictures, as they say.

32 points was enough to get me a cut (which says all you need to know about the "other 12" on my record), which meant I lost a shot for H4H... whoops!

Overall I'm really pleased I played two new-to-me courses and didn't lose a ball, which is always nice. Had a great time out, thanks to everyone again

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
22 points for me in that deluge and I'm starting to think it wasn't actually that bad from reading some of the other stories!

I started poorly through the first five holes, and that was when I decided to put the umbrella away (I know, hear me out!) because faffing with it and trying to work out where I was going to put it (I was carrying) was just extra cognitive load that I didn't need; I was getting wet anyway.

The only club that really behaved all day was driver, and I rewarded it by buying a new one in the auction.

My putting was absolutely abysmal, nowhere near as good as at Puttenham on Wednesday.

Speaking of Puttenham, I shot 32 points which was enough to give me the lead in the clubhouse when I got in (yes, I was the first group out, but I'll take what I can get). I did win a very unlikely nearest the pin on the 5th, where I must have been the only one to hit the green all day because I was about the furthest point from the pin you could possibly be and still be dancing. We joked that it probably wouldn't remain, but lo and behold it did. Somehow two-putted for a par from there as well, down a very harsh two-tier green.

The best hole however was the downhill 6th. Monstered a drive down there about 280. then fatted the approach. It bounced on the road that crosses the fairway, shot up in the air, landed and rolled down onto the green to about 8-10 feet, and I rolled in a birdie. No pictures, as they say.

32 points was enough to get me a cut (which says all you need to know about the "other 12" on my record), which meant I lost a shot for H4H... whoops!

Overall I'm really pleased I played two new-to-me courses and didn't lose a ball, which is always nice. Had a great time out, thanks to everyone again
My ball was actually closer to the pin than yours I think - but I was just off the green, short left, about an inch into that thick rough. :LOL: It was an awkward pin position for a nearest the pin really. You did well to hit the green.