I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Beat my 8th best by two shots to go from 4.7 to 4.5 (given no PCC)
And got a 2.

Finished in a tie for 11th place out of 84 entrants in the board comp.
I'm on that board twice. First time was 47 years ago. 😇

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and managed to squeeze 18 holes. Hit the ball well mostly, few loose shots around the greens that led to 3 doubles, but cancelled those out with 3 birdies and ended up with a 77. Excluding scores over the winter on our slightly shorter course that’s the best score I’ve posted since July last year.

Had a lesson this morning, few little tweaks to tidy things up and hitting the ball very nicely. Numbers from the last swing below (7 iron, range balls):

View attachment 54761
1.43 smash factor with a 7 iron is mental. Must have absolutely flushed it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Played Thorndon Park, Essex, for the first time with a member I know from work.
Lovely course with some really testing greens.
1st hole, driver, SW to 6 foot and holed the putt for birdie! Bogeyed the next, but then a string of pars and two more bogeys had me out 2 over gross. Thought I was on for a good round.
Then started the back nine bogey, bogey, bogey! Ooof! Then it got worse and I ended up 14 over gross for the back! Idiot!
Still, as it was a new course and a friendly knock with gimmes, I wasn't putting a card in, so no damage done to handicap.
And this is one of the most impressive ball markers now in my collection. Never seen this before.
Screenshot_20240901_172439_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Was lucky to get an invite yesterday to Close House for invitation day. 4BBB, we had 38 points but didn’t manage to hole a putt all day. I had 3 birdies (hit 2 approaches to inside 3 feet and a 2 putt birdie on a par 5), partner chucked in a couple of birdies as well but we had also had a lot of 3 putt bogeys between us.

Greens had been cut and rolled, both members said it was the fastest they had been all year. With them being USGA spec greens they were soft but fast. Couldn’t get my head around my pitches not releasing and the greens feeling an ok speed when uphill or level but downhill the ball just didn’t want to stop. Managed to de-green one that rolled off the front and 20 yards down the fairway when it trickled past the hole.

Luckily most pins were centre of the green or else they would have been unplayable for a hacker like me. I’ve never played golf abroad but those greens felt like the ones that people say you have to look for the grain as it felt like there was a 3 foot difference between upslope and downslope when the slope was practically imperceptible.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Medal 10 - built up a solid score on the front nine, that saw me 7 over.
Double bogeyed 10 but it's a brute of a par 5 and had to chop out of the trees twice, then went par (y), quad 👎, par (y), triple 👎, par (y), quad 👎, par (y) and then a bogey with a 3 putt up the last.
The back nine continues to destroy my hopes of getting my handicap to the point my ball striking and all round game warrants.

Maybe it's time to rethink my strategy on a few of those holes.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Club vs Seniors , giving them 19 and 22 shots respectively and my partner getting 6

We finished the round about 7 under gross as a pair - just about won on the last

Birdied one hole and lost it , had an eagle for a half 😂

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, to get 0 shots you must be a low handicap team and 3 under is not a good score unless it was a 2 ball greensomes
Greensomes is both tee off, then play one ball alternately until holed out. Same as 4somes but you get to pick which tee shot you want to use. 3 under is a great score in that format.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mixed foursomes match play final over 36 holes. We played well for most of it, it was an incredibly close match with multiple ups and downs for both teams. On the 18th hole on the first round it looked very likely we were going 3 down but we pulled a par out of nothing to actually win the hole and get it back to one down. In the second round we were 1 up on four separate occasions but they kept pegging us back, and sadly for us they got a few great up and downs on the 16th and 17th to nab a 1 up lead going into the last. We made an arse of it trying to push too hard to win the hole and lost 2 down.

It was a great match, I'm gutted of course but I'd be more gutted if I'd played terribly, as it was I think I only threw in about 3 bad holes out of 36 so not too bad going. Just wasn't to be.

(Full write-up tomorrow for the 3 of you that read them. 😄 )

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Mixed foursomes match play final over 36 holes. We played well for most of it, it was an incredibly close match with multiple ups and downs for both teams. On the 18th hole on the first round it looked very likely we were going 3 down but we pulled a par out of nothing to actually win the hole and get it back to one down. In the second round we were 1 up on four separate occasions but they kept pegging us back, and sadly for us they got a few great up and downs on the 16th and 17th to nab a 1 up lead going into the last. We made an arse of it trying to push too hard to win the hole and lost 2 down.

It was a great match, I'm gutted of course but I'd be more gutted if I'd played terribly, as it was I think I only threw in about 3 bad holes out of 36 so not too bad going. Just wasn't to be.

(Full write-up tomorrow for the 3 of you that read them. 😄 )
Good effort though, just wasn't your day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I very much done with scrambles, seems like i've done dozens this year but no more for a while. I just don't care enough to concentrate on my shots

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Thorndon Park, Essex, for the first time with a member I know from work.
Lovely course with some really testing greens.
1st hole, driver, SW to 6 foot and holed the putt for birdie! Bogeyed the next, but then a string of pars and two more bogeys had me out 2 over gross. Thought I was on for a good round.
Then started the back nine bogey, bogey, bogey! Ooof! Then it got worse and I ended up 14 over gross for the back! Idiot!
Still, as it was a new course and a friendly knock with gimmes, I wasn't putting a card in, so no damage done to handicap.
And this is one of the most impressive ball markers now in my collection. Never seen this before.
View attachment 54800
I've got a marker like this from Huntercombe, it was expensive but same as you, I hadn't seen one like it before.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Medal yesterday and what turned out to be a blisteringly hot day here in Suffolk I actually played quite well, shooting a gross 78 nett 69, to generate a small cut. A 4th placed finish in division 1 (and 4th placed overall as Div 1 players took the top six spots overall) and the 4th best gross score of the day.

78 just scrapes me in to next years Scratch Salver (best 16 gross scores and ties from across all of the medals held this year) but my position on the leader board is somewhat tenuous, as as I'm currently tied with one other in joint 16th place. Someone shoots better than a 78, who is not already on the leaderboard, and we will both get knocked out, unless we improve our scores between now and the end of the year.

78 just happens to be my best score off the whites in a comp since shooting a 77 in early July last year, which in turn was my best score since shooting a 75 in early July 2022...which in turn was my best score since shooting a 74 in July 2021!!! - seems like this year I was 2 months late with "the good score".

Could have been a lot better as I missed a short 6ft birdie putt on the first, hit a tree and found water on the 5th, left an approach shot short on 6 after misjudging the wind resulting in a 3putt, did the same on 11, failed to get up and down from just off the green on 12 with a putter in hand, and hit an approach through the green on 15 despite clubbing down.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played Brampton GC up near Carlisle yesterday in an open.

What a wonderful course! Hilly but absolutely stunning views and the middle ten holes over the road were spectacular.

My partner and I came out hot with 22points (4BBB stableford) on the front 9 before capitulating on the back 9 for just 15 points and 37 total.

The best 24 quid I'll ever spend though.

1000034785.jpg
1000034786.jpg
1000034787.jpg

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having retained our West Midlands Seniors league we had the play off Final against the East winners Nottinghamshire today at Collingtree Park . Sneaked the morning foursomes 3.5 to 2.5 we eased over the line this afternoon 10.5 - 7.5 😁😁😁