I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

sjw

Visit site
My ball was actually closer to the pin than yours I think - but I was just off the green, short left, about an inch into that thick rough. :LOL: It was an awkward pin position for a nearest the pin really. You did well to hit the green.
It certainly wasn't hard to get closer in terms of absolute distance, that's for sure! But yes, that lower tier was very small and also on a downslope. Perhaps people were tempted by the front pin and came up short a lot, or rolled off. I think I pitched near/just off the front and rolled to the back.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It certainly wasn't hard to get closer in terms of absolute distance, that's for sure! But yes, that lower tier was very small and also on a downslope. Perhaps people were tempted by the front pin and came up short a lot, or rolled off. I think I pitched near/just off the front and rolled to the back.
It took me a decent knock with 5 wood just to get short left mate. I was playing with three single-figure players and none of them hit the green either! As you say, the pin was in a tiny, narrow part of the green down the front.

sjw

Visit site
It took me a decent knock with 5 wood just to get short left mate. I was playing with three single-figure players and none of them hit the green either! As you say, the pin was in a tiny, narrow part of the green down the front.
I can't remember what I hit, looking at the overhead map and the distance I'm assuming it was a 3i. I'll have to check my shot scope when I get home.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
H4H forum day at West Surrey - with sawtooth, Blakey and Blakey's pal Ian. Without doubt the worst weather I've ever played golf in. Started in heavy drizzle and got worse... then worse again... then even worse again. Literally finished the last four holes in a thunderstorm. Utterly mental.

Starting from the 13th I went par, birdie for 7 points after two holes - great start. First blob came on the 16th after it took me two to get out of a bunker. A second birdie, on the 1st righted that though - found the green with a nice hybrid from the rough. Another blob came on the 7th (stupid three-putt when I had a reasonable chance to save a bogey), but sandwiched it with two pars so it didn't do too much damage. After sixteen holes I had 34 points but was more worried about getting in before any of us were struck by lightning. Rushed a tap-in on the 11th resulting in a double, and had a mare on the par 3 12th as I hit it clean over the green from a bunker, fluffed a chip from a soaking wet lie and blobbed my final hole, leaving me on 35. Was a disappointing finish, but the weather was seriously a joke by that point.

Really nice course, I actually found it a little more forgiving off the tee than Puttenham yesterday, hence the better score I think. Would be nice to play it one day without fear of drowning or being struck by lightning. My waterproof jacket and shoes gave up the ghost by the end and I'm not sure they'll ever dry out.

And as it turned out, 35 points was enough. 🤩
I told you last week you were a contender. Stick with me kid I'll make you a contender

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Semi final of club scratch matchplay today.
I was playing the chap who beat me last year in the quarter final on the 3rd hole of sudden death.
We were shaking hands much earlier than that today and I'm in the final.
I shall be up against this year's club champion who is 2.2 against my 4.7.
Date to be arranged.

Burnsey

Visit site
Played the Cheshire Course at Carden Park with a mate and won on the 15th, so played quite well. Finshed the round and lost two balls over the final three holes 🤣

25 degrees too!

New fitted driver has made a massive difference to my game.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a great morning as a guest at Cuddington with @Blue in Munich.

What a difference a day makes, actually managed to look something like a golfer and hit some actual decent golf shots.

Cuddington is a lovely course, greens were excellent (and dry/stream free) with a really nice clubhouse.

So another massive thanks to Rich for hosting me and keeping me company until it was time to start heading home.

Despite the weather it’s been a very worthwhile trip.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
the first week in September and I have finally got some consistency, following my excellent round at Harwood on Tuesday, I played at Lymm on Wednesday, I was a bit shaky on the front nine but picked up the the back and finished well.
Then on Thursday and Friday, I played Chester and Upton by Chester respectively and had gross 83s at both
Upton was a new course to me and very enjoyable once we had got past the 2nd and 3rd holes, when playing the 2nd you have to give priority to people playing the 3rd as they kind of share the same fairway, they don't actually but the 3rd fairway is very narrow with OOB down one side so players tend to hit out onto the 2nd fairway.

All games this week were in team opens, I have a singles open on Monday at Preston, can I carry my good form into that?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Ind Strokeplay comp today, out in a 3 Ball, played very well, no sign of the shanks after practising yesterday, 2 under Par Nett and a 2.🏌🏻‍♂️🏌🏻‍♂️

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Medal today. Started in light rain which turned into heavy rain on the 12th and then continued til the end. 1 over going out, 2 over after 12. Finished 10 over. The rain did me in eventually 🤬

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Linlithgow today a pleasant tidy course. Played well generally but for 3 holes. Two short par 4s, under 300 yards and a long par 3 scored 7,7,7. 10 over on three holes and 9 over on the other 15.
If I could cut out those blow out holes I could post some decent scores I'm sure.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Another club comp in the rain yesterday and I equalled my 8th best.

I bought a set of 1980s Ping Eye2 Beryllium Copper irons 3-SW earlier this year. After a few social games with them I decided to play handicap qualifying comps with them.
I am wary of doing this in case I can be accused of deliberate poor scores with old clubs.
These are my last 4 clubs comps since making that decision.
I've made five 2s in those 4 rounds, all four scores are in my best 8 (the most recent two were in the rain and are joint 8th best) and won two lowest gross prizes.
OK, so one of those lowest gross was when only 11 played in the rain in a weekday medal, but the 72 was Captain's Day.

2024 scores run.jpg
I've won pro-shop credit of well over £100 and reduced my HI in the process.
I would like to thank GG26 and IanM for persuading me to do this.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Due to play an open/mini meet at south Shields yesterday courtesy of @Maninblack4612 . Sadly, a sea fret took care of that. As we sat in bar, willing the mist to lift @Springveldt pp offered to host us at his club, Close House. He waited until the last minute, comp had been cancelled, and then set off.

We played a pairs matchplay, @Springveldt and my mate, I played with his. Sadly my game didn't raise itself to the surroundings and I left my pp to do most of the heavy lifting. My game was way too inconsistent, I need a reset, go to the range and get back into a rhythm. Special mention goes to @Springveldt and his red hot putting. Shaved a few early on and then he found the lines. Bang, bang, bang. One after the other. Turned a 2 down deficit into a 3 and 2 win.

Lovely afternoon and we managed to turn a disappointment into a positive. Hopefully back to Shields again shortly.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Played Skukuza golf club this morning in the Kruger National Park in South Africa. The most unique experience as it is unfenced with wild animals regularly on the course. Encountered Hyaena on the 5th which was fantastic. Lots of Impala, Hippo, Kudu, Warthog, Crocodiles and Vervet Monkeys about too.

Played badly but didn’t care at all!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Another club comp in the rain yesterday and I equalled my 8th best.

I bought a set of 1980s Ping Eye2 Beryllium Copper irons 3-SW earlier this year. After a few social games with them I decided to play handicap qualifying comps with them.
I am wary of doing this in case I can be accused of deliberate poor scores with old clubs.
These are my last 4 clubs comps since making that decision.
I've made five 2s in those 4 rounds, all four scores are in my best 8 (the most recent two were in the rain and are joint 8th best) and won two lowest gross prizes.
OK, so one of those lowest gross was when only 11 played in the rain in a weekday medal, but the 72 was Captain's Day.

View attachment 54909
I've won pro-shop credit of well over £100 and reduced my HI in the process.
I would like to thank GG26 and IanM for persuading me to do this.
The fact that you scored one under gross with those clubs when we had a round with you showed that you were perfectly capable of scoring well with them. Well played.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in our final Saturday board comp of the season yesterday. Those who I played alongside at Puttenham & West Surrey earlier in the week will be amazed to learn that I scored 39pts for third in my division and my best round of the year.