I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
played in the away match at Hindhead yesterday. Lovely weather and none of the rain that was predicted for the last 9. Lovely course as always and good company. We lost our match, i played pants, and we lost the team game but thoroghly enjoyable day at a nice course with a nice meal afterwards. Need to get back here more often in search of the next eagle after an 8 year drought - as they have changed the 2nd hole off the yellows from a par 4 to a par 5 (always 5 off the whites) and it is only 400 yards! Had a 9 iron in and left the 12 yard put slightly high for a tap in birdie - need a shorter one next time!

Springveldt

Visit site
Played yesterday at my old club for Invitation Day and as I expected I started to miss the place as I was going round. The greens are much improved from the last couple of years (main reason I left), you can see they have done a lot of work on them. They looked nice and ran true compared to the last couple of years were they looked horrible and you were amazed when a putt didn’t bobble.

Me and my partner didn’t play great, we both took turns of being terrible and not covering for each other, managed to scrape 37 points. My other mate and his brother had 45 points with a blob and have won it so maybe I was a bit hasty with calling those guys cheats that won the open comp with 48 points. 😂

To be fair, the mate that has won it was off 12 a couple of years ago and is currently getting 20 shots just now (17 yesterday at 85%) as he’s had a dodgy back for a while and yesterday was one of those days it didn’t bother him. He was more excited about the cut he was getting, think his score went in as a 7.2 differential on EG than winning the comp.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Losing a counting score off my record today. Beat it by 3 shots, though.
38 points in the board comp is not going to give me anything, however.
It will be nice to see the HI come down a bit for the first time this year. Pre-empted it in my signature already.

(EDIT: Pleasantly surprised that I came 7th out of a low turnout of 79 entrants)

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Back out with Jamie today in the July Stableford - after his opening 3 birdies in 5 holes yesterday it was always going to be a challenge to replicate that kind of form, but both of us managed a solid 19 points on the front nine.
Another dip for the pair of us on the back nine saw us finish on 34 points, and 33 for myself.
The youth was disappointed but in reality, off his handicap, that's not bad scoring - we probably both need to figure out a gameplan for the back nine holes which we haven't played as much (only had 11 holes open over the winter).
He'll play after school tomorrow, then it's onto The Open - then a 36 hole Union event at Skidby Lakes for Jamie on Sunday - never been, but I understand there's more than 1 course there?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played fairhaven yesterday in an betterball open.

My partner and I limped home to 37 points but it was feast or famine out there really, we didn't dovetail well at all and had 4 one-pointers and a blob to go with a load of 3 and 4 pointers.

Highlights were a 25ft birdie putt on the first and a 105 yard hole out for eagle on the par 5 11th after two very average shots.

Cracking course though, the rough was brutal so accuracy off the tee was integral but it was so well bunkered off the whites, my mates dad and uncle who were on the shorter side were often short of the trouble but for me and my mate it felt like all the hazards were in play off every tee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A weekend of mediocrity. Never felt comfy in my game and indeed had a very average 14 going out on Saturday although 21 back helped. Yesterday I couldn't get anything going

Putting is an issue at the moment, despite trying several putters and working on it. Can't find anything from 3-6 foot and very uncomfy over them now

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A weekend of mediocrity. Never felt comfy in my game and indeed had a very average 14 going out on Saturday although 21 back helped. Yesterday I couldn't get anything going

Putting is an issue at the moment, despite trying several putters and working on it. Can't find anything from 3-6 foot and very uncomfy over them now

I was having this problem early in the year with shorter putts. The thing I found most beneficial was not overthinking them, and hitting them pretty firmly to lessen any break in the putt - basically hitting them hard enough to never need to be aiming more than just outside the cup. I think previously I was trying to be too cute with them.

Ironically I seem to leave most of my longer putts quite short so I obviously need to do some work on my pace control.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was having this problem early in the year with shorter putts. The thing I found most beneficial was not overthinking them, and hitting them pretty firmly to lessen any break in the putt - basically hitting them hard enough to never need to be aiming more than just outside the cup. I think previously I was trying to be too cute with them.

Ironically I seem to leave most of my longer putts quite short so I obviously need to do some work on my pace control.
My putting yesterday showed I was +7.2 on strokes gained from 25-39 feet. I was also -0.5 SG from 0-2 feet, -1.9 SG from 3-5 feet and -2.1 SG from 6-9 feet.

Ironically over the last 25 rounds I am +0.3 SG from 0-2 feet, -0.3 SG from 3-5 feet and -2.2 SG on 6-9 feet and +3.9 on those 25-39 footers so clearly not a problem with distance control. I am finding both the 3-5 and 6-9 footers real issues despite working on holing out from that range and trying numerous putter styles thinking it might be alignment issues or my stroke in the recent windy conditions. I might give your idea a go although I did try being firmer on one yesterday, missed and then missed the longer one back

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My putting yesterday showed I was +7.2 on strokes gained from 25-39 feet. I was also -0.5 SG from 0-2 feet, -1.9 SG from 3-5 feet and -2.1 SG from 6-9 feet.

Ironically over the last 25 rounds I am +0.3 SG from 0-2 feet, -0.3 SG from 3-5 feet and -2.2 SG on 6-9 feet and +3.9 on those 25-39 footers so clearly not a problem with distance control. I am finding both the 3-5 and 6-9 footers real issues despite working on holing out from that range and trying numerous putter styles thinking it might be alignment issues or my stroke in the recent windy conditions. I might give your idea a go although I did try being firmer on one yesterday, missed and then missed the longer one back

It does become a confidence thing which unfortunately takes a lot of dropped putts to build and only a couple of missed ones to destroy!

The positive I take from the missed ones that go by is that at least I've been shown a line for the return putt.

mister v

Visit site
a terrible 26 points in this weeks comp. was in trouble after the drive most of the time and then when i did flush it down the middle i would put my 2nd shot in a stupid place.
I had been driving well but the irons were killing me, now im driving badly and irons are killing me..... frustrating

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

The constantly changing weather conditions haven't helped with putting, the greens are different speeds every time you play, depending on whether it's been a heat wave or a monsoon week. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 90% of putting problems I have are down to this. One day they're rapid, other days slow; breaking, not breaking. Takes me 9 holes to get used to them each time.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've really had quite enough of 3-4 club winds thanks very much. Can't remember the last time I played and just went 1 club up. Off medal tees it means so many holes are out of reach for a GIR and it just swallows the handicap (even if I was able to go error free)

sjw

Visit site
New personal best 86 yesterday, and I was actually putting a card in when it happened which has cut a full stroke off my cap

I posted the other day in the irritations thread about my game just being an irritation, this time I overcame the hurdles that I usually hit. Could have been lower as well, having hit a truly dreadful tee shot on 10 and making a 7. Plenty of nearly putts as well. It's getting there 🤞

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
New personal best 86 yesterday, and I was actually putting a card in when it happened which has cut a full stroke off my cap

I posted the other day in the irritations thread about my game just being an irritation, this time I overcame the hurdles that I usually hit. Could have been lower as well, having hit a truly dreadful tee shot on 10 and making a 7. Plenty of nearly putts as well. It's getting there 🤞
Good shooting

Reactions: sjw

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played my first match for the club yesterday - away at Bewdley Pines.

Firstly - great track and a pleasure to play!

More importantly - we were the only winning pair (5&4) across the match from Raven so a small humble brag for me ;) :ROFLMAO:

Currently undefeated in match play this year, in the semi finals of the club doubles and quarter finals of the singles!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Second round of the Titleist 4BBB match play at home today in the pouring rain. We got off to a flying start and we were 3 up after four holes. We finally won 4/3 when my partner chipped in for par on the 15th. We won our 1st round match 4/3 when he holed out for an eagle from 100 yards. 😁

Due to the weather we were the only four people out on the course and only took us 3 hours to play the 15 holes.

Last edited: