I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a little rollup knock off forward tees this morning. Off 5 isn’t so easy and my 32pts isn’t great, but it’s just 9 over gross which for me is pretty good of late (my scoring has been awful) and so things definitely heading in the right direction…in good time for H4H 😉
…and so after yesterdays rollup, today another friendly knock off our front tees and playing H/c of 5 - and again a careless and messy front 9 sees me 6 over gross, but again a good back 9 of 2 over…so total 8 over gross. Much of my game today felt out of sorts…but I got it round - and I gotta sort out the messy.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got out tonight with carry bag.
I wasn’t intending to do 18 holes but the first 9 holes were level and the course cleared up in front of me, so I figured bath time could wait given it’s the school holidays.
Anyway shot a 73, hit 10GiRs, 33putts (😳) .. 7 birdie opportunities not taken these are putts inside 6ft , 1 3ft to save par missed.
Fairways in regulation 8/14 .

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played 18 this morning in a senior stableford. I was pants and scored a paltry 28 points. This afternoon at 16:30 I played in the last 16 of the scratch KO. I won with a par on the third extra hole. If i hadn’t 3 putted 15,16 and 17 it would have been over much sooner. I should sleep well tonight. 😴

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
First round proper of the Moray Open today...had a mixed round on the Old Course....generally pretty steady apart from three holes where I seemingly lost the ability to hit the golf ball cleanly and dropped 7 shots in a total round of gross 86 nett 74.

Course is playing much longer than in previous years due to the fairways being in better condition (has plenty of grass on them) and the overnight rain we had on Saturday night which has really softened things up.

Hopefully a sensible round on the New Course tomorrow shooting something below 84 gross should see me qualify for the matchplay stages.
Bollixed that up didnt I?

Level par gross over the first 6 holes on the New Course today and every thing was sailing along smoothly....then out of nowhere I had three double bogies in succession, followed by 3 bogies to be 9 over gross after 12 holes. Rescued a good par with a 10ft putt on the 13th after finding a shocking lie just off the fairway but then missed a 3 footer for par on 14 before inexplicably hitting a block straight out of bounds onto a road on 15....eventually walking off with a 7. Compounded that error on 16 by hooking (I never bloody hook the ball....just like I never block the ball right!!) my tee shot into a tree. Managed to hack out from beneath the tree and then contrived to miss the green from 100 yards...ended up with a double bogey six.

The par 3 17th was better as I found the front edge and just lipped out from around 20ft for birdie but the long tough 18th served as the final nail in my coffin as a weak drive left me too much to do to reach the green. Played well left of the green to open it up as the flag was tucked behind a bunker but then left a short wedge shot of no more than 60 yards some 30ft short of the flag. Had a decent effort at the putt but left it a foot short.

Nett scores of 74 yesterday and 76 today in ideal conditions weren't really good enough and I sat and watched the scores come in, drinking beer in the sunshine, initially the cut for the matchplay was at 148 (nett) then it drifted to 149 and finally 150...eventually late into the evening it was confirmed that only 4 of the 10 players who shot a nett 150 made it through on countback....and I wasn't one of them.

Consolation Stableford comp tomorrow and will then probably have a day off and not partake in Thursdays Bogey comp (probably go and do a distillery tour somewhere instead) before rounding off the week with a round at Castle Stuart on Friday.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and struggled to +5 on the front with a stupid double on 9. On 10 I hit what we all thought was a great second shot, I had 190 yards into the wind and flushed a 4 hybrid. I could only see the top of the flag as it was over a slight rise but it was right on it and when we got up there it was nowhere to be seen. Can only assume it took a big bounce on the green and went into the cabbage 25 yards behind the green never to be seen again. Lost all interest in the round after that and just hacked my way into the finish.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Bollixed that up didnt I?

Level par gross over the first 6 holes on the New Course today and every thing was sailing along smoothly....then out of nowhere I had three double bogies in succession, followed by 3 bogies to be 9 over gross after 12 holes. Rescued a good par with a 10ft putt on the 13th after finding a shocking lie just off the fairway but then missed a 3 footer for par on 14 before inexplicably hitting a block straight out of bounds onto a road on 15....eventually walking off with a 7. Compounded that error on 16 by hooking (I never bloody hook the ball....just like I never block the ball right!!) my tee shot into a tree. Managed to hack out from beneath the tree and then contrived to miss the green from 100 yards...ended up with a double bogey six.

The par 3 17th was better as I found the front edge and just lipped out from around 20ft for birdie but the long tough 18th served as the final nail in my coffin as a weak drive left me too much to do to reach the green. Played well left of the green to open it up as the flag was tucked behind a bunker but then left a short wedge shot of no more than 60 yards some 30ft short of the flag. Had a decent effort at the putt but left it a foot short.

Nett scores of 74 yesterday and 76 today in ideal conditions weren't really good enough and I sat and watched the scores come in, drinking beer in the sunshine, initially the cut for the matchplay was at 148 (nett) then it drifted to 149 and finally 150...eventually late into the evening it was confirmed that only 4 of the 10 players who shot a nett 150 made it through on countback....and I wasn't one of them.

Consolation Stableford comp tomorrow and will then probably have a day off and not partake in Thursdays Bogey comp (probably go and do a distillery tour somewhere instead) before rounding off the week with a round at Castle Stuart on Friday.
Another cracking day today though 😀☀️☀️☀️

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Another cracking day today though 😀☀️☀️☀️
Indeed....and I actually played decent golf today with things just tailing off over the last 4 or 5 holes which all played into an ever stiffening Easterly wind.

Managed a gross 79 for 37 points and, for the most part, actually felt largely in control of the ball, and where it was going. Putting was fantastic over the first dozen holes or so.

Now off to a mates place in Portknockie for a barbeque and a few whiskies (or maybe glasses of port) and tomorrow will be heading down to Huntly to visit the Glendronach distillery.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coming up to day 5 of our 'Scottish trip' (now in about its 30th year and just recently re-instigated after Covid & injuries curtailed it). Staying in Fife and played Scotscraig, Charleton, Lundin, Cupar, Ladybank and St Andrews New. Played absolutely awfully at Scotscraig & Charleton - and I do mean awfully. Started Lundin the same and blobbed the first three holes. Then something clicked, I also put the driver away and played with nothing bigger than a 4 hybrid, and have played to handicap ever since. St Andrews, Castle today then a day ticket at somewhere tbc tomorrow. Best bit is that its been shirt & shorts weather all week so far. (Teeny bit of rain this am, but looks set to be fair again by tee-time....)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Supper club. Don't normally play and went straight to the course from a practice session. 18 points and game feels close but still in practice mode so too many thoughts in my head especially around the green. Need to find a way to trust the work I've done

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A useless effort by me in yesterday's County Seniors Championship finishing tied 45th place out of 81 entrants. Venue was where GG26 is a member.

A great round by doublebogey7 who finished 19th place and second best nett.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Managed a gross 79 for 37 points and, for the most part, actually felt largely in control of the ball, and where it was going. Putting was fantastic over the first dozen holes or so.
Good enough for 4th place in the low handicap section which will secure me a £30 voucher...just need to find something in the pro shop that it can go towards.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Joined Fragger's society for a game at Sonning yesterday...
Nice bunch...actually they're as mad as a box of frogs...
Sonning - lovely parkland course, very playable but a decent test. Greens swift and true, fairways as lush but tight as I've seen in a while.
Plenty of longish par 4s and drivable ones too....
Started well but faded towards the end but, more importantly, I tonked Fragger by a mile and pipped CVG by a point.
Worth a trip I'd say.....

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of a long winded one, sorry…

I arranged to play with a mate of mine last night, at my course, booked us in last week, looking forward to a catch up as we’ve not seen eachother for a few months. Checked the booking in the morning and saw that 2 other members had booked in, I don’t know them. Bit deflated that we weren’t getting our 2-ball but carried on anyway. Agreed on the first tee that we’d have a match.

What a brilliant few hours it turned out to be, possibly the most enjoyable round of my life! We went 3 up after 3, they clawed it back and it was then us 1up/2up for most of the round, loads of halved holes. Lots of banter and good spirit. They managed to get it back to all square on the 17th, went down the 18th and halved the hole. One of them suggested going back up the 18th for a play off as there was a round of beer on this! Back we went, light fading, all 4 of us hit nervy shots but none of us were on the green. Anyway, we all chipped on, they were both furthest away and missed their par putts,I was about 6 feet, PP about 10 feet and he rolled in a beauty of a putt, even walked it in!

Couple of beers afterwards, a good chat and some new friends made. Sometimes the lower your expectations the greater the outcome.

Golf eh!

Severof

Visit site
Played yesterday a practice round from back tees with my son for his Junior event next week being played at Hever. 13 yr old, beat me by 5 shots off levels, and when i sprayed it everywhere on 17, he knocked it on in 3 on this tight 630 yard par 5. A mix of emotions watching our games gradually inch away in opposite directions.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
HiD was playing in Ping 4BBB with a new lady member at 7.45 and they needed someone to mark their card so was roped in and to save fannying about I said I'd play off the reds too. par 69 and 1 shot , out in 39 then had 5 3's to start the back nine and came home in 33 for a 72 nett 71 2 over , great fun as playing form very different places

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HiD was playing in Ping 4BBB with a new lady member at 7.45 and they needed someone to mark their card so was roped in and to save fannying about I said I'd play off the reds too. par 69 and 1 shot , out in 39 then had 5 3's to start the back nine and came home in 33 for a 72 nett 71 2 over , great fun as playing form very different places
We play supper club from different tees each week depending on format and it is interesting playing off the ladies tee or even the blues (seniors) and the different challenges it presents in terms of club selection

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Persimmon and blades comp at Fleetwood today.
Slazenger driver, John Letters Gary Player irons.
Couldn't hit the driver to save my life and was taking 3 iron off many tees.
Ended up mid table on 30 points.

Tomorrow we go again at Heysham, I'll be playing 1930s clubs: Gordon Lockhart woods and George Nicoll Pin Kraker irons, not hit any of them before so should be fun.