I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Paulienash

Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill GC (just outside Cheltenham), most interesting course I've played. Its on public land around old mine workings and an iron age hill fort with the most amazing views across The South West, I saw it described as inland links course, lots of blind tee shots and blind shots into greens. I thought it was in really good condition with a lovely 1920s pavilion type clubhouse, quite hilly (obviously) and no buggies but they did have electric hand carts. Glad I took my chipper and an map app on the phone was useful, helped that the only two pars I hit were on 17 & 18 to tie.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Today it was the turn of @Hooker and @SwingsitlikeHogan to come to my club for a game.

I was a shadow of my Friday's self. Started double bogey on the first and birdie on the second.
I managed another birdie on the 10th, but the other 15 holes were 5 pars and 10 bogeys. 10 over par after shooting 2 under on Friday. Great game innit?
Mind you, if I call that an average of 4-over per round, it doesn't seem so shabby.

The heat got to me on the back nine. I had no trouble moving the putter backwards, but moving it forwards again seemed like just too much effort. Three 3-putts on the back nine.
12th hole is 318 from the yellows. Downhill and downwind I drove the ball just onto the front edge. Pin at the back and made 3 good putts for a par.

All three of us racked up some numbers here and there, although SILH did play a nice stretch in the middle 8,9,10,11,12 in one under par.

Anyway, it was great to meet two forumers for the first time.
And may this aspect of the forum stay alive and well.
Thank you, friends.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill GC (just outside Cheltenham), most interesting course I've played. Its on public land around old mine workings and an iron age hill fort with the most amazing views across The South West, I saw it described as inland links course, lots of blind tee shots and blind shots into greens. I thought it was in really good condition with a lovely 1920s pavilion type clubhouse, quite hilly (obviously) and no buggies but they did have electric hand carts. Glad I took my chipper and an map app on the phone was useful, helped that the only two pars I hit were on 17 & 18 to tie.

I heard a nasty rumour that the new owners were going to invest a load of money into it, including a new clubhouse. :(

And no doubt that that will be the end of the good value.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are away at the moment and due to a castle not being open on a Monday, why?, I did a quick ring round of various clubs to try and get a game. The only place I could get in was Upchurch river valley. What a great course. Very hilly. No problem for us we are used to that. A few blind tee shots. Rough between trees at a minimum so easy to find your ball. Ground solid, so loads of run out. Greens, the acid test, perfect. How do places do this? They were like a green mat. No sign of grass really just a green mat. Awesome, and very undulating if in the wrong place. We enjoyed it immensely. I played very well for 39 points. The wife, who really won't accept it's her short game, and putting that is her very weak point, three and four putts, came in with 28, so ok. Great days golfing. Thank you URVGC.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh and just for info, we played Gaudet Luce in Driotwich last Tuesday. Brilliant course. Again, perfect greens. Very friendly pro shop. Best I've been in. Loved it here. Not our best rounds. You need to really know this course to beat it. And your distances. And when to lay up! I'd join here no problem. Just thought I'd add this in instead of trumpeting the well known courses that get mentioned all the time.😁 There are some cracking courses out there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Today it was the turn of @Hooker and @SwingsitlikeHogan to come to my club for a game.

I was a shadow of my Friday's self. Started double bogey on the first and birdie on the second.
I managed another birdie on the 10th, but the other 15 holes were 5 pars and 10 bogeys. 10 over par after shooting 2 under on Friday. Great game innit?
Mind you, if I call that an average of 4-over per round, it doesn't seem so shabby.

The heat got to me on the back nine. I had no trouble moving the putter backwards, but moving it forwards again seemed like just too much effort. Three 3-putts on the back nine.
12th hole is 318 from the yellows. Downhill and downwind I drove the ball just onto the front edge. Pin at the back and made 3 good putts for a par.

All three of us racked up some numbers here and there, although SILH did play a nice stretch in the middle 8,9,10,11,12 in one under par.

Anyway, it was great to meet two forumers for the first time.
And may this aspect of the forum stay alive and well.
Thank you, friends.
Really nice meeting you sir. I know I can speak for @Hooker in saying how much we enjoyed the knock round your track…which was in splendid condition btw. My golf was very variable so nice of you to highlight the good bit 😍

A great bit of brunch beforehand went down a treat and by your presence on multiple boards multiple times you certainly have made your presence felt at your club over the years 👍 A thoroughly enjoyable day out.

And as you say…just the sort of little get together kindnesses the forum is perfect for - long may they continue.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill GC (just outside Cheltenham), most interesting course I've played. Its on public land around old mine workings and an iron age hill fort with the most amazing views across The South West, I saw it described as inland links course, lots of blind tee shots and blind shots into greens. I thought it was in really good condition with a lovely 1920s pavilion type clubhouse, quite hilly (obviously) and no buggies but they did have electric hand carts. Glad I took my chipper and a map app on the phone was useful, helped that the only two pars I hit were on 17 & 18 to tie.
Playing Cleeve Hill with three mates 20th August. We four played there some 30+yrs ago..so decided to make a return visit…😊

PaulMdj

Visit site
Went out for a nice leisurely 18 holes on my own, switched the trolley on and realised I’d forgot to charge it last night😂😂

Played 11 holes and called it a day, battery down to 1 bar😬

Really pleased how I played, just 4 over for those 11 holes, 🤞 I can keep this bit of form for a semi final later in the week.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played Helensburgh today. Firmly falls into the hidden gem/ off the beaten track category. Lovely course, very scenic, fantastic condition…… but extremely hilly. At 5900 off the whites you’d be very remiss to think it’s a short course. I lost 4 balls as it proceeded to beat me up at times but it was fabulous and I highly recommend it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played last night, started so well with 2 birdies then lost my swing for 5-6 holes.. Pulled it back in the back 9 to save 8 over

View attachment 54414
Wow, I've never seen a course start with two par 5's before. My course has a three-tee start so you occasionally start with two par fives if you're off the 8th. I'm not a fan of starting there since I want to be warmed up by the time I get to them, since they're not overly long and a good chance to pick up a shot or two.

In fact after six holes on that course you've only played one par four?? 😂

crdb

Visit site
Wow, I've never seen a course start with two par 5's before. My course has a three-tee start so you occasionally start with two par fives if you're off the 8th. I'm not a fan of starting there since I want to be warmed up by the time I get to them, since they're not overly long and a good chance to pick up a shot or two.

In fact after six holes on that course you've only played one par four?? 😂
Yeah its not the easiest of holes to start on, OOB left & a tight fairway & 90% of the time against the wind, i'm always there 30 mins before in the nets to warm up otherwise im in trouble..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a 225 yard par 3 (SI10) OOB right and pond short left and protected by bunkers left and right. Always find it a hard starting hole and think I'd rather have a par 5 where you have an opportunity to get back in position with a second shot rather than scrambling around to get it on the green and two putt for bogey (net par for me)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a 225 yard par 3 (SI10) OOB right and pond short left and protected by bunkers left and right. Always find it a hard starting hole and think I'd rather have a par 5 where you have an opportunity to get back in position with a second shot rather than scrambling around to get it on the green and two putt for bogey (net par for me)
Unless it's our 8th that I mentioned above - there's a pond on the right hand side, and if you go further right than that it's internal OB. Not the best start when you've been slicing the ball like I have.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played today and had two emu's walk across the fairway plus a kangaroo bounding down the rough, at least they are not lethal, come summer we have to keep an eye out for snakes.