I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Really enjoyable day and some excellent golf from the vintage newbies, they must have been out late practising the day before?

Bigfoot's hole out was a joy to behold!

I struggled with my tee shots for a while but putting was massively improved from yesterday's misery.
Must be down to those superb greens and the "It Sits" putter, can't understand why I've not had it in the bag for over a year, it'll certainly be there for Friday's medal comp.

BL8Ricky

Visit site
Wow. Great hole to get one. I played with a bloke who lost nine balls there once attempting to clear the ravine
It’s local rule now whereby one in the ravine = walk over to the drop zone on the other side. I’ve still managed a 9 on that hole though! In consecutive rounds I scored 9 then 6 then 2.

AussieKB

Visit site
Three putted the last to shoot 3 over......but overall putted great.
Playing off 3 tomorrow on a difficult course, if I have over 32 points I will be happy.

Mandofred

Visit site
Rollup this morning. Went early and hit about 60 wedges off a mat to a small hitting area (75yds max distance). Couldn't hit worth poop, almost just went home instead. Our group went to 15 to start (our groups go off 1, 15+17 to get things going faster) 3 putted the first hole and.....finished +2 or +3. Best round since last summer. Golf is doing my head in...... Stableford comp in the morning, NOT trying to do anything special is how I score well....But my head keeps getting in the way.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played at me second course today and shot 1 over par off a 3 handicap, now down to 2 handicap there, lovely sunny day for winter here, only 17 degrees but played 14 holes in shirt sleeves.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Net 73 in the first round of our Seniors Club Championship. Card was ruined by a 9 after getting into all sorts of trouble on our easiest par 5. Although to be honest, I'm happy to just finish with the same ball I started with after some wayward driving recently.

Have had 2 lovely days golf in glorious weather after getting soaked on Tuesday. Played Burgham yesterday, course in great condition, really enjoyed the wide open nature of it, but it's a long old course. Chips and curry sauce afterwards was exceptional!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really enjoyable day and some excellent golf from the vintage newbies, they must have been out late practising the day before?

Bigfoot's hole out was a joy to behold!

I struggled with my tee shots for a while but putting was massively improved from yesterday's misery.
Must be down to those superb greens and the "It Sits" putter, can't understand why I've not had it in the bag for over a year, it'll certainly be there for Friday's medal comp.
It was the new clubs I had! The first shot with the 5 iron of the set that Crow had brought along for me to try. Much better than my mish mash of a set. So good, I bought them !!

It was a cracking day - superbly hosted by Upsidedown.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Entered an impromptu stableford comp at a course we were initially just planning on playing as visitors.

After a spell of decentish form I was brought crashing back to earth with 23 points 🤣

Not sure what happened out there. Lost count of the number of 3 putts and awful chips.

Stupid game.

Mandofred

Visit site
Jeez, played a Senior Stableford yesterday....just saw the results. I had 36 pts playing off 6, had a few really bad shots that I saved bogie on but was pretty pleased with the round. I couldn't even get in the top 10. The guy who won plays off 6 as well and had 41 pts. I think part of it is that the ground is getting firm now and the course is playing shorter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Jeez, played a Senior Stableford yesterday....just saw the results. I had 36 pts playing off 6, had a few really bad shots that I saved bogie on but was pretty pleased with the round. I couldn't even get in the top 10. The guy who won plays off 6 as well and had 41 pts. I think part of it is that the ground is getting firm now and the course is playing shorter.
Yep, all our older guys are in golfing nirvana. Still they only have a 4 month window where their low scuttlers go 230 yards so it will soon pass

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Played Aberdovey today in super weather. Not been for years, I'd forgotten how good it is. Excellent greens and a great mix of holes. Thick rough at the mo, very tough indeed. Well worth the trip!!
Love that course... Borth too.

A nice excuse for a golf break for us midlanders!

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Fun round with my cousin yesterday, we decided at last minute not to watch the England game as it would probably be woeful and go out and enjoy an empty course in good weather. The golf was decent but with the usual 3 holes of auto pilot and some how adding 7 shots over par to my round. Anyone else tend to double their score (over par) in just 3 holes?

I really need to stop following up a bad shot with a bad shot... in the moment I find it hard to snap out of it and reset. We go again tonight!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep, all our older guys are in golfing nirvana. Still they only have a 4 month window where their low scuttlers go 230 yards so it will soon pass
Opposite at my place…older fellas and higher handicappers (as well as plenty lower) especially are finding the track difficult. Seniors Open on Monday off front tees only four out of 80 played to handicap or better, with only the winner bettering with 40pts. Rollup yesterday 50 playing, mostly seniors and higher handicappers, again off front tees 6 played to or bettered handicap, with winner best of three on 37pts.

Also last week Golf England Captains…120 played…off front tees, winner scored 37pts of only six playing to or bettering handicap. Golf England Seniors played previous day. 120 played off front tees and only the winner played to handicap or better with 36pts. It’s tough…

We have our main men’s individual open comp of the year on Sunday - The Silver Frigate (scratch and handicap prizes). 36 holes - will be interesting to see how a field of low (at least overall lows) handicaps scores. For handicap comp a stroke allowance of 12 applies (Max HI of 15.0 to enter).

I played yesterday and would have played to about my handicap but unfortunately not able to play on Sunday. Nonetheless course in great condition, rough very difficult (inc first cut), and a first really beautiful warm and sunny day. It’s taken it’s time.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Played at me second course today and shot 1 over par off a 3 handicap, now down to 2 handicap there, lovely sunny day for winter here, only 17 degrees but played 14 holes in shirt sleeves.
It's finally 17 degrees here today and I feel like I'm melting. :LOL:

Time to finally get rid of the winter beard.