I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Springveldt

Visit site
Played Wednesday evening and walked off after 11 holes. Started well enough with 4 pars (missed a 3 foot putt for birdie on 4) and then promptly sent 2 into the North Sea on 5. Got a horrible lie on 6 that took me 3 to hack out from for a triple then parred everything until 10 where I failed to get up and down from the fringe. Then on 11, hit my 2nd, it took a 90 degree bounce right, two hopped into ankle deep rough never to be seen again and at that point decided it was better to get a pint and watch the first half of the Scotland game.

2nd round putting with my Ping blade putter which I've had to go back to since the face balanced mallet is in 2 pieces and I can't feel the head at all on the putter, it feels so light that my zorro putting stroke would make Will Zalatoris blush.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm going to say that there may, only may, be signs my traumatic spell is on the mend........
34 points today...with 4 doubles on the card ( 3 of them no score holes)
3 of those doubles came from drives which ran and ran on the hard ground into areas I can't normally get to and don't want to be in....the ground is rock hard .
So 34 points from 15 holes is pretty encouraging....
Need to either drive better, on a slightly different line , or drop to the 4 wood instead and risk a slightly longer shot in..
Rain tonight will soften things so probably not going to change much for tomorrow
The Index, however, continues to rise albeit a tad slower.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got out early this morning before some big competition.
Putting was a disaster, despite the last few holes showing improvement, this was after I told the putter your at the back of the queue now.
Driving is shown improvements, height or launch was increased with a slightly wider stance .. knees seem okay.
Iron play .. seem to be off the boil but last 2 holes okay.
Short game still a work in progress..

Then I jet washed the BBQ and patio .. I have told my wife to look at the patio now and remember it because at the end of summer it’s coming up and crete print or a sealed gravel is going down .. no more jet washing and weeding.. my knees don’t like it and I have better things to do with my time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm going to say that there may, only may, be signs my traumatic spell is on the mend........
34 points today...with 4 doubles on the card ( 3 of them no score holes)
3 of those doubles came from drives which ran and ran on the hard ground into areas I can't normally get to and don't want to be in....the ground is rock hard .
So 34 points from 15 holes is pretty encouraging....
Need to either drive better, on a slightly different line , or drop to the 4 wood instead and risk a slightly longer shot in..
Rain tonight will soften things so probably not going to change much for tomorrow
The Index, however, continues to rise albeit a tad slower.
Slowly slowly. Just need to get rid of those silly holes

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Player in a county inter-club 4BBB match yesterday for seniors with a handicap of less than 11 away at Felixstowe Ferry

One of their guys and my partner both got 2 shots and I was getting 3. Day was beautifully sunny but with a nice cooling sea breeze in totally the opposite direction from when we played our practice round last week.

Opening hole was an utter mish mash...my partner stuck his ball in rough out to the right, I hit a ballooned drive that didn't make the fairway and one of our opponents pulled his tee shot straight left over the road that splits the course in two and OOB. Their other guy nails his shot down the fairway. After much thrashing and grunting three of us are on the green in 4....after conceding their putt, I'm up with a snaky 15 foot bogey putt for a half in bogey....nailed it. After that the golf settled down a bit and we started to play golf typical of mid/high single digit golfers.

FF went one up on the third after both my partner and I missed the green and failed to get up and down and then we halved the next 4 holes in par or nett par. The only disappointment was the SI1 6th where I was the only golfer not to go long with my approach and was pin high just four or five yards off the green My partner was virtually stuck with his ball in an impossible lie in heavy rough right on the edge of a water hazard and could barely get his club on the ball without falling in. The opposition lower h'cap guy hit a lovely chip to around 3ft but I caught my shorter attempt heavy and just trickled on to the green. My par putt from around 18ft just lipped out and our opponent sank his 3 footer for the half.

The other opposition player then decided to go on a hot putting streak and rolled one in from around 14ft on the 7th for half and then repeating the feat on the 8th for a birdie to send them 2up. 2 then became three as he was the only one to find the green and a regulation par was enough to win the hole as the rest of us failed to get up and down from various points around the green.

Perhaps the worst hole was then played on the short par 5 tenth where, with the wind, none of us could do better than a bogey. Opponent got up to his putting tricks again on 11 holing another birdie putt from outside 10ft to send them 4 up. Three more holes were halved in par's before the putting king then holed out from around 25ft up a steep slope from the front of the green for a 4 nett 3 to beat both of our 5 nett 4 efforts. The closing 4 holes were all halved in par with me taking my turn to hole a monster putt on the 15th from around 30ft to prevent the scoreline getting even worse.

Apart from just a couple of holes the overall standard of play was excellent and it was just moments of individual brilliance that took the game away from us between the 8th and 11th holes. Course was in superb condition and the greens were just perfect....as consistent a set of greens pace wise as I've ever played on.

Our county format is that all 18 holes are played and it is the cumulative scores across the four matches combined, that determines the winning team. Unfortunately when the other match results came in it turned out that as a team we had lost by just 4 holes....our 5 down loss being crucial as our other pairs recorded a win by 2 holes, a loss by 1 and a match that ended all square.

Thoroughly enjoyed the round and will have to visit FF a lot more in the future.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Just to report that @Imurg ’s poor run of form hasn’t sorted itself out.

Had to steer him clear of rope, trees and sharp objects this morning 🙄

Re my game I’ve never been so disappointed with 36 points, because it should have been so much better

My index is now stratospheric at 25.4
Even I, who has no shame, is a tad embarrassed

☹️

Mandofred

Visit site
Just to report that @Imurg ’s poor run of form hasn’t sorted itself out.

Had to steer him clear of rope, trees and sharp objects this morning 🙄

Re my game I’ve never been so disappointed with 36 points, because it should have been so much better

My index is now stratospheric at 25.4
Even I, who has no shame, is a tad embarrassed

☹️
There are ropes on your course? .....I think I approve. This last week has been good, but last week I could have used a good throat constriction.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to explain what happened today, but here goes ;)

Major comp time this weekend, Max H/C 18, bogey competition, I finished +6 to the course and have won.

had a count up and the total was 84, (par 72), a few missed putts out there too

Tomorrow is the roll=up, I'll be surprised if I make 30 points

BunkerPlayer

Visit site
Lovely round yesterday but looking back the doubles have cost me again... all 4 of them. 7 pars and a birdie helped the score along but the most frustrating part was selecting the wrong club on a par 3 and hitting it well only to see it go off the back by 2 club lengths... my mental game was much better and I stepped through the routine well all but for that hole really... need to take that lesson.

I think its fair to say I can't get off the tee on 18 but hit a banging provisional (as you do) Iron needs to come out in comps because it just seems to find the gardens on the left everytime.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Trip to Heythrop Park yesterday. HID went off to Blenheim Palace for the flower show and Churchill exhibition so was more than happy and the club had a Hillman Plate match. The golf set up is basic with a poor pro shop but a decent range off grass. Course is very long with some long walks between green and tee and steep in places but in very good condition for a hotel "resort" course. Nice set of lads we played

Ended up giving one shot and a great match. Nip and tuck on the front nine and I was one up at the turn which went to 3 up after 11. However I couldn't find that killer blow and my opponent was putting really well on the greens. I was one up on the 18th tee (check out the fantastic view below) and he made three good shots and holed a great 12 footer for birdie to tie the match. Probably a fair result overall

Club lost 4.5-2.5 but at least I contributedIMG_0359.JPEG

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Friday - scratch QF , played solid , putted better and won 3&2

Saturday - Swindle , we had a team comp - waltz format - first 6 is 2 out of 4 , next 6 3 out of 4 and last 6 all 4 count - we had a solid 113 to win by one

Today - swindle , 4 under par for 40 points , winner was 46 points off 24 , wasn’t in the top 4 😂

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A nice relaxing day in the sun today as a depleted group of 9 of us played skins (usually 16 -20 turn up on a non comp Sunday for the joy of losing a couple of quid to someone shooting a par for 4 points!!)

Been suffering a bit with gout over the last few days and for me it attacks my ankles primarily but after a few days of stuffing Naproxen down my throat the symptoms had eased a bit and I decided to give golf a go....despite struggling to squeeze my swollen foot into my shoe. Also had a slight tweak to the hamstring a few weeks ago and every so often on the backswing I just feel a twinge of pain.

Started off bogey, double, double, bogey, bogey before the painkillers really kicked in and I started feeling reasonably comfortable then rolled in 2 birdies, 1 bogey and 6 pars (including a rare par at the SI1 13th). Spoiled things a bit on 15 when what I thought was a really well struck 6iron approach just caught a greenside bunker and was trapped under the side lip by a poorly positioned rake. No shot out which eventually resulted in a double bogey. Consolidated the round with 3 pars to finish.

£3 into the skins pot. £4.50 returned to me. £11 on a round of beer saw me £9.50 down for the day.