I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played last night in the monthly medal and I hit the ball terribly but my chipping bailed me out on most occasions. I didn't hit a single fairway and I only hit 5 greens in regulation yet managed to shoot 79 for a differential of 6.4. Bunker play was massively improved after watching a few YouTube tutorials, it seems me standing up a bit more upright works as I don't dig the club in as much. Had plenty of practice as I was in 6 bunkers and managed to have 4 up and downs.

Driver was an issue as I was having a 2 way miss until hole 14 where I decided I needed to commit to trying to just hit a draw as the fade I had has once again turned into a slice. Hit decent drives from there on, all were good connections and most were straight to a slight draw. All finished in the 1st cut due to the last few holes having slight dog legs and the drives just running through fairways. Going to continue with this until the snap hooks come back then I'll go back to trying to hit a fade.

I move between draw and fade when things start to go pear shaped. Haha.

Springveldt

Visit site
I move between draw and fade when things start to go pear shaped. Haha.
Same. I've felt the fade become more of a slice over the last few rounds so I've obviously been over doing it. Came to ahead last night as I was standing on the tee thinking "I've no idea where this is going" so I just decided that I was intentionally going to try and hit draws from there forward. I'll keep the same intention for a couple of weeks now before I start to overdo it and then I'll switch back to trying to hit a fade and so it continues.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played yesterday with the boys, hit it ok but thinned a couple of wedges into front bunkers on the front 9 after that was better and managed level out. Flat calm with beautiful sunny weather.but Back 9 wind really picked up and was almost 4 clubs by 18th. Made the mistake of taking a caddy job after, wind really took its toll on me was exhausted after.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played yesterday with the boys, hit it ok but thinned a couple of wedges into front bunkers on the front 9 after that was better and managed level out. Flat calm with beautiful sunny weather.but Back 9 wind really picked up and was almost 4 clubs by 18th. Made the mistake of taking a caddy job after, wind really took its toll on me was exhausted after.
I thought you were crocked
Didn’t you post about an intercostal tear a few days ago

Is this Patrickgate no 1 😂😂

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Few days late, but we had our company charity golf day at Hilton Puckrup Hall on Tuesday. 56 golfers on a shotgun start and our team came 2nd with 84 points (played format where 1 score counted per hole for 1st 6, 2 scores for second 6 and 3 scores for the final 6 holes). Winning team got 95, but there was some questionable scoring from them I think!

Course, although bone dry for the most part, was actually a really nice layout with some interesting holes. First time I'd swung a club all year and hit it surprisingly well considering.

Not sure how much money we've raised for Cure Parkinsons yet, but was a decent chunk.

Hoping to do it all again next year, and there might be some spots available so will keep people posted if they fancy sticking in a team.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
9 holes this morning. Didn't get off to a great start when the head flew off my favourite club, an ancient Nike hybrid. The round itself was a mixture of good, bad and terrible. 14 points.

Hopefully the pro will be able to fix the hybrid, was a bit lost without it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The course is playing about as hard as it possibly can right now and the decent breeze didn't help..
Bone hard fairways with lush rough when you miss...greens running ag about 90 on the stimp . Hit one 8 iron 190 yards..... :oops:
Plenty of lost balls - me(1), the other 2 (6)...
Managed 3 birdies but plenty of bogeys and a couple of doubles....
I think 83 (+12) was probably as good a score as I could have made.....
Big 2 day medal comp this weekend....glad 8m not playing - it’s going to be carnage and very slow...
Instead I'm doing 3 hours Starter duty each day.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Upsidedown brought one of his county team mates to my club today.
Leicestershire vs Shropshire & Herefordshire (seniors) is at my club on Monday so I invited them for a practice game.
Another two absolute gents met thanks to this forum.

Now that the course is dry and hard it is very tricky and the NE wind is making it even trickier.
Greens are very good, though.

I holed a putt from off the green on the 9th to make 2-over par for that 9.
Still 2 over with 4 to go when the wheels fell off.
Hope I can do better in the comp tomorrow - losing the best of my 8.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Upsidedown brought one of his county team mates to my club today.
Leicestershire vs Shropshire & Herefordshire (seniors) is at my club on Monday so I invited them for a practice game.
Another two absolute gents met thanks to this forum.

Now that the course is dry and hard it is very tricky and the NE wind is making it even trickier.
Greens are very good, though.

I holed a putt from off the green on the 9th to make 2-over par for that 9.
Still 2 over with 4 to go when the wheels fell off.
Hope I can do better in the comp tomorrow - losing the best of my 8.
Excellent hosting from a top man . Showed us the way around and lots of very helpful tips for the lads on Monday . Course very tricky and can be easily blocked out ,as I found out on too many occasions 😅. Greens rolling nicely and holed a few for a few pars . Tough finishing stretch. Very steady playing from our host, cheers for the day and hopefully see you over in sunny Shropshire later this year.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a Seniors Open at Holllywood GC (Birmingham), scored 17 points out,,, :unsure: no wait a sec, :unsure: scored 17 points.

One of the worst days of scoring I can remember, I've been trying to think of mitigating circumstances but the biggest issue was my putting, I can't remember ever missing so many short putts, and I mean SHORT!
I scored on every hole on the front nine, 8 single pointers and a 2 pointer!
Back nine started with two 2 pointers but then dissolved into a mess.

The course is tight but I didn't lose a ball until my final approach to the 18th green, which ruined the last straw of solace I was clinging on to, completing the round with the ball I started with. ☹️

The course was very dry and stopping a ball on a green was nigh on impossible, the bunkers had a thin layer of sand over a solid base (and I should know as I visited several) and I seemed to get far more than my fair share of bad breaks.

I'm last in Div 1 and but for the fact that a kindhearted soul in Div 2 had an even worse day than I did, I'd have been last overall!

C'est la vie.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
9 holes this morning. Didn't get off to a great start when the head flew off my favourite club, an ancient Nike hybrid. The round itself was a mixture of good, bad and terrible. 14 points.

Hopefully the pro will be able to fix the hybrid, was a bit lost without it.
Not the wand 😱. Hopefully it can be fixed.

Charity day at Gosforth GC today. Played it last week in an Open, 4bbb, it took 3hrs 40. Today, best 3 score from 4, 4hrs 45 😭. Lots of once a year golfers 🙄. Played solidly, particularly putting, until the last few holes when I let things slip. Good company though and an enjoyable day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Day off today and had a round at Silvermere with three mates. Took me an hour and 20 to get there thanks to the M25 - arrived about 3 minutes before tee time, but luckily we still had a 15 minute wait to tee off since the group before us were also late.

Blobbed the first after rushing a low punch shot and slicing it out of bounds. Three tidy bogeys and then blobbed the 5th after finding a bunker I didn't even know was there and messing it up from that point. On the 7th I hit the pin with my second shot but could only two putt for par. Blobbed 8th with a hooked drive out of bounds. Front nine score 12 points with three blobs. Not ideal. I liked the front nine though, even had an Augusta-like feel with the rhododendrons dotted around.

Didn't really enjoy the back nine though. Even though I arguably played better, aside from another blob on the 11th (a third lost ball out of bounds), it just felt like more of a slog and less enjoyable. I bogeyed the last 7 holes so found some consistency I guess. Last two holes over the massive lake were quite fun - my mate did a full Tin Cup on the last and stuck three balls in the water from 100 yards. 😂

Final score of 96 for 26 points, pretty bloody poor really. The course is very tight in places, tree-lined, and the ground was baked hard making it difficult to keep the ball in play. Having said that, everyone else got more points than me so maybe I was just crap.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played our 4th round daily mail foursomes today at Hart Common, not the easiest of courses, it was even for the first few holes, at which point my partner says to me "we can beat these", cue losing the next 6 holes, we did have a late run and pulled a few holes back but lost 4&3. We didnt have the best run of the ball finding a lot of bunkers, where as they seems to just miss everything, but they did hole a few putts and on balance deserved to win.
It was the 2nd time we have entered the competition and both times our run has finshed at Hart Common.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Day off today and had a round at Silvermere with three mates. Took me an hour and 20 to get there thanks to the M25 - arrived about 3 minutes before tee time, but luckily we still had a 15 minute wait to tee off since the group before us were also late.

Blobbed the first after rushing a low punch shot and slicing it out of bounds. Three tidy bogeys and then blobbed the 5th after finding a bunker I didn't even know was there and messing it up from that point. On the 7th I hit the pin with my second shot but could only two putt for par. Blobbed 8th with a hooked drive out of bounds. Front nine score 12 points with three blobs. Not ideal. I liked the front nine though, even had an Augusta-like feel with the rhododendrons dotted around.

Didn't really enjoy the back nine though. Even though I arguably played better, aside from another blob on the 11th (a third lost ball out of bounds), it just felt like more of a slog and less enjoyable. I bogeyed the last 7 holes so found some consistency I guess. Last two holes over the massive lake were quite fun - my mate did a full Tin Cup on the last and stuck three balls in the water from 100 yards. 😂

Final score of 96 for 26 points, pretty bloody poor really. The course is very tight in places, tree-lined, and the ground was baked hard making it difficult to keep the ball in play. Having said that, everyone else got more points than me so maybe I was just crap.
Silvermere is like playing 2 different courses.
The front 9 is by far the best.
Did you go in the shop?

Visit site
I had a scarcely believable start to my round at Seaham yesterday, being 1 over after 6, birdied the difficult 3rd, thinking for an hour 'that was a good shot, he must be some golfer, oh, it's me!' 2 old fellas let me play through at the 7th and my game reverted to the 15 handicapper that I am. Shot a pleasing 82, the course was in good nick, the ball running forever on the fairways. As per, some lovely sea views from up high.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played Pike Fold yesterday. I have said this before, but I'll say it again, it is a fantastic course. The greens are USPGA, so are amazing. There is not a bad hole on the course. An absolute pleasure to play on. Smashing club members. Had a lovely pint outside in the sunshine afterwards and got chatting to a nice fella on the next table. I told him this was our 5th or 6th time there and we'd come up from Macclesfield to play it again, and said the above to him, christ even the wife says it's a good course! He disappeared for 10 minutes and came back with a 4 ball voucher for the course for us saying, I hope you'll enjoy your 7th visit!!!!!!! It was one of those things that make you feel like you've been given a million quid. It really made our day. Unbeknown to him the hell we've been though of late, he's made us feel like the world is a really nice place again. Many thanks to Mike Davies (Captain of Pike Fold).
Get yourselves up there, its brilliant!!!!!!