I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played really well today but a bad finish left me with 74 net.

The course is like a tinder box now and the tees are really starting to burn up.
Greens are fabulous but it’s the only part of the course with irrigation.
I hit some monster shots today 155yd wedge is just mental.
need some rain soon but none in the forecast.

Teebs

Visit site
Monthly medal.

First is a par 5, scabby-ish drive, 6 iron out of the rough and a 22° hybrid to 5ft for a birdie (from 230)
2nd par 3, 8 iron to 6ft and lipped out for birdie, made par
2nd par 4 - 3HL to the dogleg, 50° Wedge to 3ft and rolled in to be -2 gross through 3. Nice.

4th is a 195y par 3 down the hill, thought nice hybrid, pushed right into the cabbage, duffed chip, 3rd shot on the green and 4 putted. 4. Jesus.

Didn't really improve until the 13th where I stringed 5 pars together to come in with a net 78 and a choppy bogey on #18. I'll be dangerous one day..

WHS up to 4.7, course handicap on our main 18 off the Whites is now 6 which feels a little more comfortable..

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played and I was awful. My general demeanour as the round went on was not helped by having a playing companion who yelped loudly every time he didn’t quite hit the ball his perfect. And he plays off 20 🫣. It’s a ‘feature’ of his play and it doesn’t half get on folks nerves - quite funny at first but…

No excuse for my rubbish though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played and I was awful. My general demeanour as the round went on was not helped by having a playing companion who yelped loudly every time he didn’t quite hit the ball his perfect. And he plays off 20 🫣. It’s a ‘feature’ of his play and it doesn’t half get on folks nerves - quite funny at first but…

No excuse for my rubbish though.
Was he a former tennis player ?
we have one of those.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yes

Yes, a very enjoyable day but @Bdill93 's replacement (me) seemed to drag the team down!

I was struggling to get off the tee hitting numerous fat shots.
I was pulling my irons and regularly missing left.
And I wasn't comfortable with my putter (Gradidge Bobby Locke) which was a lot flatter than I like.

Thanks again @Voyager EMH , and for the Greenfinder irons, which are still in the boot, might be a day or two before I can smuggle them inside!
Don't forget the Tennent's beer-towel that is inside the bag.
It was difficult, but I was able to let it go!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another Open, Gosforth GC today. Smashing course, overlooked a bit by some nearby more fashionable courses. £12 for the open, £4 for a coffee and the best bacon buttie in the county. Blinding value.

Not as reliable off the tee today, oddly reticent to hit through the ball for some reason 🤷‍♂️. Much better putting display, better concentration, a calmer stroke and I forced myself to not follow the ball (meant much straighter putts 👍). Scoring wasn't great but I thoroughly enjoyed the day. The good news is, I'm playing here again on Friday in a charity event 😀

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Gross 84 today.

Missed far too many birdie opportunities for it to be a low score but not too displeased. (Other than doubling the last)

Driver and irons going very nicely!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a hickory Stableford competition at Luffenham Heath today.

My putter of choice for hickory is a Spalding but today for the hell of it I thought I'd try the outlandish Oak Brand putter I got last year and had yet to play with.
It features a very long and slender hosel, 6 1/4 inches long and about 1/4 inch at its narrowest. (I had to nip into the garage this morning and stick it into a vice to bend it a bit as the lie was very flat.)

Anyway when I got to the practice putting green I immediately regretted the decision to use it as it felt so dead off the face and I couldn't hole a thing.

The round started okay as I bogeyed the first for two points (playing off a hickory handicap of 18) but then lost two balls on the second and bang went my assault on the scratch prize, but I needn't have concerned myself as someone shot a very impressive 77!

After a few holes the putter surprisingly started to buck its ideas up and my performance on the greens was pretty good. I rescued a bit of credibility by parring the 8th and 9th holes to be out in 16 points.
Started like a train on the back nine going bogey, par, birdie (holing a very long putt from off the green!) for 9 points in the first three holes. Another lost ball on the 15th and two poor finishing holes took the shine off and I ended on 33 points, easily my best competition hickory score.

1685905851214.png
1685905881264.png

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just nine holes by myself…and boy is the course playing difficult. Fairways and greens very firm so loads of run and no stop…with horrid and very penalising rough lurking close by. So easy to lose a ball. But it was lovely being out of a lovely evening.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Just nine holes by myself…and boy is the course playing difficult. Fairways and greens very firm so loads of run and no stop…with horrid and very penalising rough lurking close by. So easy to lose a ball. But it was lovely being out of a lovely evening.

Very much looking forward to playing at Farnham later this year!

Very much not looking forward to seeing/ living in this rough 😂😂😂

Jason.H

Visit site
Few lads from our place are playing in that as well, good luck 👍
Well it was a struggle. A bad start don’t know if that was down to nerves but never really recovered which was a shame. Playing partners were great and they struggled too. The course was in great nick with fast true greens. The bunkers were so good I went in most of them, ridiculous 😂
It was a good learning experience and seeing so many pured iron shots and the sound as the ball fizzed away 👌