I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a foursomes tie today giving 15 shots away. Pretty windy though, 4 or 5 club wind at least. Two guys I know quite well and both capable of playing well under handicap. Been caddying a bit which has meant I've not hit a ball in a couple of weeks and neither has Slow Dave. We were giving away shots on the first 3 holes so were 3 down straight away?. 5 down after 7, lost 8 but then won 9. Lost on the par 5 10 to a shot after crushing a drive and a 9 iron on the green. 11th was a kick in the balls, I flushed a 6 iron onto the green and they shanked it off the teeonto the 10th fairway, they then played a good shot onto the green for 100 yards away still and holed the putt then Dave bashes it 10 ft past so I then had a down hill downwind put to half??which I missed. We then won 12 and 13, which were both shot holes for them, but the won 14 with a shot. We won 15 and 16 which was another shot hole so got it down to 2 down with 3. Lipped out on the birdie on 17 which was a shot hole for them so halved it with us par and them bogey, so a loss. First time we have not made the quarter/semi finals. Fair play to the guys they used the shots well. At least we don't have to go through the hassle 0f arranging games for another year.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
No comp this weekend, guy I was playing with and I are expecting to be in inter club team next week so thought we play bogey. Played it quite a bit earlier in the year and best I managed was a couple of losses on 18.
Today, first 9, gross 1 over and 4 up ?
Wind was increasing and swirling around but hung on for a 4&3 'win'. Lost the last 2 holes so ended 2 up but of course blaming that on losing focus ?

Visit site
74 (+4) in the first round of Club Champs today. Very chuffed.

Only 5 shots back with 7 players in front of me ?

Had a triple bogey from the middle of the fairway on the 12th, with a wedge in hand to a safe flag. 3 birdies after that saved me.

Only 1 player shot under par nett (71 off 2).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Medal today. Played some good golf at times, but four double bogeys which were all silly and avoidable cost me a good score. My lag putting from distance was poor, left a lot of them well short, but I was making up for them by holing quite a few 4 and 5 footers. Made 7 pars but as I say, 4 doubles ruined it and I ended up with 83 for net 69 (one over). When I put my score in I was actually second in division one. Which is ironic because I believe a low round is dropping off my record so I probably won't even be in division one next time (it's 0-14).

The round coming off is score differential 14, and today's round will be a score dif 16 ish I think, so it should be a counting round at least, but I'll likely go up a little bit. Hopefully enough to get me an extra shot for the Club Champs next week. ?

Edit: I just noticed that I got pars on the stroke index 1, 2, 3 and 4, haha. Shame I buggered up some of the easier ones.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

On the practice ground at Silloth, just hit some 6 irons which have gone between 107 and 112 yards :ROFLMAO:. My 6 iron carries 175 yards in flat calm conditions......

It's too windy to actually hit balls, going to find some shelter behind gorse beside chipping green and try that.

Someone played tremendously well for 34 points to win comp by 2 clear points.

I'm bloody frozen solid.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in very strong winds today, hard going. Worst putting display of the year so far. The misses were not shaving the hole, they were missing by 2-3 cups ?.

Horribly inconsistent and it is killing me. Handicap is about to go north, it's just a matter of by how much.

Must have been tough, only 3 players out of 132 managed to beat their handicap. Glad I gave it a miss!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Gusty winds and very slick greens, coupled with the large borrows, made putting almost impossible.
Stableford comp and a very meagre 29 points - our -2 handicapper came in with 28...looks like 37 has won Div 1 with 3 x 34s after that..
Disappointed as I hit the ball quite well...just getting the ball in the hole was beyond me most of the time...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must have been tough, only 3 players out of 132 managed to beat their handicap. Glad I gave it a miss!
Feisty is how I'd describe it. If I was retired I wouldn't have played today, no point. You made the right decision.

The winning score was 39 when I left. I doff my cap, obviously I didn't wear one as it would have blown off ?, to that bloke.

I'd say that stat you quote makes me feel better but my score was so stinky that nothing will ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Likewise today at our place - beautiful day, warm and dry though windy - and greens superb. But not at all easy.
Only 7 out of 119 beat their CH, and only another 6 played to their CH. So the obvious question. Will there be a PCC? Not that I am bothered but if not what sort of scoring is required for there to be one.

As it happens I played to my CH (of 10) despite dropping four shots over our last three holes. Level over these three holes would have seen me win the darned comp. But hey…that’s gowf ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played in a medal today in 30mph plus winds. Couldn't even keep my hat on. Had a decent run of pars on our more sheltered 10 to 16 spell but ended up NRing on 18 after losing two balls I thought I might find.

Not too displeased given the conditions but need to learn how to play them a bit better. Main let down was my putting, i've never had the wind affect putts so much!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love
I play at lot of matchplay golf and generally have a pretty fair record however there is one course i never seen to do well at, the course is Rochdale and my record there is 100% losses, I have lost coz i have played badly, because my opponent played great and I even lost after being 5 up after nine.
Today was the latest in the saga, I didn't play badly, I misread a couple of greens, my opponent chipped in for a birdie and nearly repeat the feat on on a hole where she was getting a shot, she holed a few putts I left a couple on the edge. it was just one of those days. Still even though I lost it was a team match the the team won[/QUOT
Someone played tremendously well for 34 points to win comp by 2 clear points.

I'm bloody frozen solid.
I hope it warms up soon. I'm there at the end of the month.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Defending my trophy on Thursday. Went two down after two. Clawed back to even after four. Then it was he won, I won until 11. Where I broke the spell and was two up at thirteen. Then list 14 + 15 . All square . I won 16. To hen by a miracle w, as Nd I'll spare you the prolonged description, won 17 to win. He was so engulfed with it all thought I was only one up until I questioned his marking of the card. Lord knows how I won.

D

Deleted member 3432

I hope it warms up soon. I'm there at the end of the month.

I was talking to visitors in the car park. Fair to say they were disgruntled with the weather conditions. Front 9 would have been absolutely brutal in that wind and I had my winter jacket on and was still cold.....

13th averaged 7.4 in comp ???
I reckon most of the field would have picked up well before they were anywhere near the green.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
95 gross in ridiculous wind. I’m sort of happy with that as it’s better than last time I played. Over 50 out of 172 entrants NR’d.?