I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played in our weekly stableford comp today. Score did not make my best 8.

Poor start and even poorer finish, but there was 11 consecutive holes in the middle played to level par thanks to two 2s on the 6th and 11th.

That's got my 2s hit rate back to 50%. Twelve comps played this year and six 2s made.

Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seniors open betterball today at Willesley Park. I was partnered by Crow who kindly stepped in for my injured PP and he started with a birdie on the par 4 first. The course was fairly hilly, but varied, and I struggled to get the pace of the greens and also struggled with the driver with several slices off the tee.

Was good to catch up with Crow and our score was respectable, although not threatening the prizes.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors open betterball today at Willesley Park. I was partnered by Crow who kindly stepped in for my injured PP and he started with a birdie on the par 4 first. The course was fairly hilly, but varied, and I struggled to get the pace of the greens and also struggled with the driver with several slices off the tee.

Was good to catch up with Crow and our score was respectable, although not threatening the prizes.

Thanks for the invite, first time I've played Willesley Park and I was impressed, really enjoyed the day.

I checked our score, which I too thought would be okay in a seniors competition given the length of some of the par fours, but we were a lowly 25th out of 32 in our age group. :eek:

Jason.H

Visit site
Midweek medal today, gross 76 net 70. Level par front nine then struggled with a few errant shots and missed a few par saving puts as the wind and rain came in.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played off the whites for the first time today, must have been spurred on by the other thread ongoing on the forum :LOL:. Nice to 'face that fear' so to speak, and I'll try and do it again

Played our front 9 and tee'd off at 19:20 when I knew no-one would be around to save some embarrassment. I shot 50 on the nose which was to my course handicap. 3 pars, 1 bogey, 3 doubles, a treble and a, gulp, 9(!) on a par 5! Driving was back to being very wayward and where I lost the majority of shots. Probably a little psychological knowing I had to hit reasonable ones from the whites.

Probably the same as a lot of high handicappers, capable of some good holes but played an awful lot of dross too.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played off the whites for the first time today, must have been spurred on by the other thread ongoing on the forum :LOL:. Nice to 'face that fear' so to speak, and I'll try and do it again

Played our front 9 and tee'd off at 19:20 when I knew no-one would be around to save some embarrassment. I shot 50 on the nose which was to my course handicap. 3 pars, 1 bogey, 3 doubles, a treble and a, gulp, 9(!) on a par 5! Driving was back to being very wayward and where I lost the majority of shots. Probably a little psychological knowing I had to hit reasonable ones from the whites.

Probably the same as a lot of high handicappers, capable of some good holes but played an awful lot of dross too.
No need to restrict that last sentence to high handicappers, as I showed today.

Jason.H

Visit site

What other thread? ?. Don’t try to hit your drives harder off the whites. Keeping the ball in play is more important than distance.

AliMc

Visit site
Lovely day at Dunbar today, gents senior medal on but played in a 4bbb instead, round in 3 over 74 for a 1up win, wouldn't have scored that with a scorecard in my hand !
After saying I wouldn't have scored 74 with a scorecard in my hand I proved it today in a medal, shot 79. In my defence after playing on Tuesday at Dunbar and Archerfield last night I felt shattered, still should result in a 0.2 cut down to hi of 5.3 so not the end of the world

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
In a knockout tournament being held through my work. Drawn at home in the first round, giving 5 shots to opponent.

Was dormie 4 and hit an absolute bomb of a drive on 15th, swaggered off the tee thinking it was game over but proceeded to thin my wedge 25 yards over the green. Ended up winning 1 up on 18. Golf......

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played one of the most depressing rounds of golf I can remember, confidence has been in short supply the last two or three years but today was the worst I can remember.

Knockout match and I was receiving 6 shots from my opponent, started like a train and was 3 up after 3.

On the 4th I hit a good drive straight up the middle while my oppo blocked his into the right rough, he then hit onto the hole on the other side of the fairway, as I had a shot I decided to play a steady 6 iron lay up which I hit okay, oppo then hit his over the green into the rough, I tried to hit a SW to middle of the green but fatted it and took a further three to get down while my oppo got up and down for a half, I should have been four up. At that point I told myself it was going to be one of those days and I'd lose the match.....

I won the 5th with a par to be 4 up after 5.
Then on the short par 3 6th where I again had a shot I put my tee shot into some very light rough adjacent to the green while my oppo hit way right and was still not on the green in two. I then hit two duffed chips which moved the ball a total of 6 inches! finally got down for a 6 while my oppo made a 5 so a half.

So at this stage I should have been 6 up after 6 and effectively game over.

Tee shot on the 7th was a lost ball and I lost the hole.

We turned and I was still 3 up.

Oppo birdied the 10th to win.
I made a complete hash of my first putt on the 11th, catching the ground and lost the hole.
On the 12th (another shot hole) we were both greenside in two, oppo chipped to 6 feet. I was unsure of what club to take as my ball was against the fringe of the rough, opted for putter and somehow while making practice strokes I nudged my ball! :eek: Head gone I then made a pathetic putt and finished with a 6, oppo holed his for 4 and another win and we were now A/S.

On the 13th (another shot hole) I pushed my second into the deep rough and didn't even feel like looking for it, 1 down.
Halved 14 but lost 15 and then another lost ball on 16 saw me shaking hands.

I've never felt so deflated after a round of golf, my mental attitude is at an all time low.
Golf can be :poop:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
five different course in 5 days was back at Ellesmere in a medal today, I had a very good spell in the middle of the round playing 6 to 14 in one over and was a couple better than my handicap, then I 3 putted 15, 16 and 17, I did end with a par on the last bt I finished with a slightly disappointing one worse than my handicap. i lost one of my best 8 scores too so handicap will go up by 0.2

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played one of the most depressing rounds of golf I can remember, confidence has been in short supply the last two or three years but today was the worst I can remember.

Knockout match and I was receiving 6 shots from my opponent, started like a train and was 3 up after 3.

On the 4th I hit a good drive straight up the middle while my oppo blocked his into the right rough, he then hit onto the hole on the other side of the fairway, as I had a shot I decided to play a steady 6 iron lay up which I hit okay, oppo then hit his over the green into the rough, I tried to hit a SW to middle of the green but fatted it and took a further three to get down while my oppo got up and down for a half, I should have been four up. At that point I told myself it was going to be one of those days and I'd lose the match.....

I won the 5th with a par to be 4 up after 5.
Then on the short par 3 6th where I again had a shot I put my tee shot into some very light rough adjacent to the green while my oppo hit way right and was still not on the green in two. I then hit two duffed chips which moved the ball a total of 6 inches! finally got down for a 6 while my oppo made a 5 so a half.

So at this stage I should have been 6 up after 6 and effectively game over.

Tee shot on the 7th was a lost ball and I lost the hole.

We turned and I was still 3 up.

Oppo birdied the 10th to win.
I made a complete hash of my first putt on the 11th, catching the ground and lost the hole.
On the 12th (another shot hole) we were both greenside in two, oppo chipped to 6 feet. I was unsure of what club to take as my ball was against the fringe of the rough, opted for putter and somehow while making practice strokes I nudged my ball! :eek: Head gone I then made a pathetic putt and finished with a 6, oppo holed his for 4 and another win and we were now A/S.

On the 13th (another shot hole) I pushed my second into the deep rough and didn't even feel like looking for it, 1 down.
Halved 14 but lost 15 and then another lost ball on 16 saw me shaking hands.

I've never felt so deflated after a round of golf, my mental attitude is at an all time low.
Golf can be :poop:
You don't need me to tell you but this was your problem in bold. I've not had many singles matches but a few pairs ones, and we try never to worry about the result, and avoid thinking anything about whether we're in a winning position or a losing one. We normally just say as long as we're enjoying ourselves we'll play well and the result will be what it is. It beats negative thinking and it also beats over-confidence for me. I think it's a good mindset which has definitely kept us in matches at times. From what you described it sounded like you were just nervous! Admittedly singles is a different ball game to pairs because in pairs you've always got your mate with you to have a laugh and settle down.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
9 hole stableford comp this morning. Started really well, 10 points on the first 4 holes - could have been even better but missed 2 very makeable birdie putts on 1 and 3. A couple of wayward drives and poor chips let me down on 5-7, but managed 3 pointers on 8 and 9 for a decent finish on 19 points. Just as well as my lowest ever score is dropping off today.

It's been a funny week, been plagued with a bad back and had to cancel a couple of games, but when I have played, I've been very solid.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last 16 match in one of our KOs today and giving 11 shots. Lost 2 down. All square with 3 holes to play, giving a shot on each hole. Played to my handicap (3) but the other guy had a good day on the greens and kept holing 7 and 8 footers to keep himself in it.My highlight was holing out for an eagle 2 on the par 4 7th. Scratch KO next week and am playing an 11 capper……

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in very strong winds today, hard going. Worst putting display of the year so far. The misses were not shaving the hole, they were missing by 2-3 cups ?.

Horribly inconsistent and it is killing me. Handicap is about to go north, it's just a matter of by how much.

D

Deleted member 3432

Played in very strong winds today, hard going. Worst putting display of the year so far. The misses were not shaving the hole, they were missing by 2-3 cups ?.

Horribly inconsistent and it is killing me. Handicap is about to go north, it's just a matter of by how much.

On the practice ground at Silloth, just hit some 6 irons which have gone between 107 and 112 yards :ROFLMAO:. My 6 iron carries 175 yards in flat calm conditions......

It's too windy to actually hit balls, going to find some shelter behind gorse beside chipping green and try that.