I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 1147

Turned a 74 into a 79 for the 2nd week on the spin. 1 bad hole and a couple of poor wedges cost me. Can't string a round together atm. Frustrating.
If you looked up in the dictionary the definition of a good drive wasted, there would be a picture of me in the fairway looking frustrated.
I simply forgot how to hit iron and wedge shots.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm going off you ..............unless there is a forum meet ?

Is golf expensive in that part of the world?
You've just played golf at one of the prettiest coastal villages in England and you seem jealous of someone else's venue. What's the matter with you?

BTW, is the old village links still a good going concern. Looks like a great place for a game with some old clubs. Warkworth likewise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've just played golf at one of the prettiest coastal villages in England and you seem jealous of someone else's venue. What's the matter with you?

BTW, is the old village links still a good going concern. Looks like a great place for a game with some old clubs. Warkworth likewise.
I played it in strong winds with occasional showers. There lies the jealousy ?.

Yes, the village course is going stronger than ever. They have some good people running it and they have improved the finances meaning investment in the clubhouse and course. They have a cracking greenkeeper and good relations with the big brother course I was at today meaning they get use of some top equipment when necessary to keep the greens in good nick. It's a good honest club and I'm pleased it is going well for them.

I'd agree with you about using old clubs there. Distance isn't everything and so the advantages of new tech is not as marked. You could play there, warkworth and Dunstanburgh with old gear and have a great time ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Didn't play , but caddying.

A group of Americans who all worked on NCIS, writers and the guy I did was called Rocky Carroll, who is one of the actors. Never seen the program myself. Nice guy, an enjoyable afternoon listening to some interesting stories.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was presidents prize today and I got off the a better then normal start and was one better than handicap after 5, the remaining holes on the front nine is where I normally look to pick up shots with 4 holes a regularly par, sadly today things didnt go to plan 3 putts on 6, OOB on 7 and another 3 putts on 8 and 4 shots were gone on a flash and a disappointing front nine, the back nice was steadier with just one hiccup whe n3 putting the 17th. Finished 4 over handicap,

The competition was won with 65 (7 less than the the course rating) there was a 66 too

Springveldt

Visit site
I don't think I fully appreciated the difficulty until I played here week in week out. It isn't unfair, it's just a real test. You can't free wheel at any stage. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, I just need to up my game.

Best of luck today. Is it 36 holes of suffering or just 18? I'm losing balls in the wind up at Foxton today at an open ?. Good job it isn't on the edge of a cliff by the north sea ?.
It was 36. Think that is the first time as an adult I played 36 holes in a day and I’m paying for it this morning. ?

Thought I hit the ball well for 30 holes but just didn’t score. Body failed me on the last 6, couldn’t rotate the lower half quick enough as my lower back was starting to hurt so was pulling everything miles left.

I honestly don’t think our course will play any tougher this year. They cut and rolled the greens in the morning and with all the wind the last few days they were rock hard, it was like landing on a table top. Even the +4 and +2 I was playing with couldn’t hold the greens if they landed on them. Felt like trying to play links golf, landing everything short and hoping it bounced ok.

Maybe the green keeper’s thought they were hosting the US Open yesterday?

I see as usual the PCC was 0 even although you had scratch and lower guys shooting high 70’s, low 80’s. I asked one of the guys on the committee yesterday to have a look into it to see if the club wasn’t doing something it should be to have it calculated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Springveldt 18 was enough for me yesterday, 36 doesn't bear thinking about. Did you go ice bath or radox bath last night? :LOL:

The greens are an interesting one. There is not a single pitch mark on our course. I've stopped putting a repairer in my pocket now, pointless. Great to putt on but it's links on a parkland course. When you see the bunker locations and shaved run offs it really does make it tricky right now.

I suspect there is a temptation for that comp to toughen the course up. Not really sure it needs it, it doesn't in fact. It certainly doesn't when you looked at the forecast which was well publicised.

Well done anyway (y)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
In a bad run of form in roll ups and comps and its catching up with me! Just cant seem to break lower than 86 at the moment!

Handicap has risen by 0.5 but should give me another shot in playing handicap calculation so thatll help a bit..

4 rounds of free scores until 4 counting scores in a row drop off my record!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
36 holes yesterday (I only played 32) at home in a scratch inter club match. We lost 5-7. I managed to win both of my matches (I was lucky with the singles draw in the afternoon and played their weakest player. He was even older than me?) but I don’t think my body will let me do 36 holes in a day at full on concentration for much longer. Their team was just too strong for us, with a +4 and +5 player in their team and the others off scratch.

Visit site
Started 2nd round of club champs yesterday like a dream. -2 through 5, and then hit my approach on the 6th to about 9ft.

Missed the putt but made a par, and after going +2 through the first 24 holes, I then proceeded to shoot +12 through the next 12 holes.

The pressure got to me, and it wasn't until I got in the car afterwards did the scale of my collapse dawn on me :(

Springveldt

Visit site
@Springveldt 18 was enough for me yesterday, 36 doesn't bear thinking about. Did you go ice bath or radox bath last night? :LOL:

The greens are an interesting one. There is not a single pitch mark on our course. I've stopped putting a repairer in my pocket now, pointless. Great to putt on but it's links on a parkland course. When you see the bunker locations and shaved run offs it really does make it tricky right now.

I suspect there is a temptation for that comp to toughen the course up. Not really sure it needs it, it doesn't in fact. It certainly doesn't when you looked at the forecast which was well publicised.

Well done anyway (y)
Got in too late for a bath, stayed in the clubhouse afterwards till about 9:30pm. Fell asleep on the couch as soon as Rory holed his final putt.

We were talking about the lack of pitch marks yesterday. 36 holes and I found 2 pitch marks to repair, the other 3 lads found none. When the greens are that firm they just aren't leaving any marks. As you say they are rolling great but they are just a bit too fiery imho. Hopefully they soften them a little now the club championship is done.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys today and though I didn't score particularly well I'm more than happy with my ball striking. Hit some good drives and the little change I'm trying really worked today. 5 bogeys and 2 birdies, rest pars. Club champs this weekend, so playing at least 3 times before then as the last 2 weeks I've only played twice.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just got back from high elms - a course many of us had last played 20odd years ago.
A very pleasant day with some decent golf - my short game was dog ? again.
Finished birdie, birdie for 36 points but graciously gave up 1st place as i arranged it

Really enjoyed it Dando, was great to have a nostalgic visit back there and it was a million miles better than I remembered it. Thanks for organising it and we all know you were the real winner.

D

Deleted member 3432

Played with the boys today and though I didn't score particularly well I'm more than happy with my ball striking. Hit some good drives and the little change I'm trying really worked today. 5 bogeys and 2 birdies, rest pars. Club champs this weekend, so playing at least 3 times before then as the last 2 weeks I've only played twice.

Club Champs guaranteed 88...:p

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from high elms - a course many of us had last played 20odd years ago.
A very pleasant day with some decent golf - my short game was dog ? again.
Finished birdie, birdie for 36 points but graciously gave up 1st place as i arranged it
Had a lovely day at High Elms arranged by @Dando as above.

Unlike some of the other guys playing I'd never played there before. Not an easy course with lots of elevations and slopes coming into play. Can't say I dealt with them very well as I played my worst round in a year I think. Front nine was ok with 16 points, but the wheels came off one by one on the back nine so I only added 12 more for 28 total. Gross 95. Only made one par all day. In my defence, my pulled adductor muscle (football injury) was hampering my drives somewhat and the greens were very slow which I couldn't adjust to at all - still a shocking performance though.

Golf aside I had a great day with top company, beautiful weather and some good grub as well. Thanks again to @Dando for sorting it, and the other attendees @Bratty @Blue in Munich @Steve Wilkes and Danny (poor Danny must have had better days as he lost about ten balls!). Cheers everyone.