I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Had a lovely day at High Elms arranged by @Dando as above.

Unlike some of the other guys playing I'd never played there before. Not an easy course with lots of elevations and slopes coming into play. Can't say I dealt with them very well as I played my worst round in a year I think. Front nine was ok with 16 points, but the wheels came off one by one on the back nine so I only added 12 more for 28 total. Gross 95. Only made one par all day. In my defence, my pulled adductor muscle (football injury) was hampering my drives somewhat and the greens were very slow which I couldn't adjust to at all - still a shocking performance though.

Golf aside I had a great day with top company, beautiful weather and some good grub as well. Thanks again to @Dando for sorting it, and the other attendees @Bratty @Blue in Munich @Steve Wilkes and Danny (poor Danny must have had better days as he lost about ten balls!). Cheers everyone.
Great day it was! Lovely to go back after maybe 12 years minimum and see how it's changed. The trees are a LOT bigger which makes it an even tougher course.
Par of 204 uphill with OB left and what are now huge trees, three bunkers across the front of the green and just no hope right. It's SI 2 for a reason!
Great company and crap golf is far preferable to the opposite! Thanks, chaps!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-173933_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-173933_Photos~2.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 10

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Great day it was! Lovely to go back after maybe 12 years minimum and see how it's changed. The trees are a LOT bigger which makes it an even tougher course.
Par of 204 uphill with OB left and what are now huge trees, three bunkers across the front of the green and just no hope right. It's SI 2 for a reason!
Great company and crap golf is far preferable to the opposite! Thanks, chaps!

You promised not to mention my golf!!

Thanks James for organising what was a very enjoyable return visit, despite my pathetic efforts; I think it's at least 33 years since I last played here. As Bratty said, the trees are much bigger and thicker & the 13th has to be the toughest par 3 I've played in this country. Good to see a new face in Steve & meet the other reprobates again. Need a visit to Royal Magpie now to complete the set. :)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You promised not to mention my golf!!

Thanks James for organising what was a very enjoyable return visit, despite my pathetic efforts; I think it's at least 33 years since I last played here. As Bratty said, the trees are much bigger and thicker & the 13th has to be the toughest par 3 I've played in this country. Good to see a new face in Steve & meet the other reprobates again. Need a visit to Royal Magpie now to complete the set. :)

I’m more than happy to look at sorting something for Royal Magpie

D

Deleted member 3432

Par on the 1st, car crash for 4 holes and then 3 under for the rest of the round.

Strange round but on a more positive note I played the last 3 holes without a jacket for the 1st time this season :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Course is nice, greens were absolutely pure.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Went for 9 holes on my own this afternoon to try 1950s Gradidge Bobby Locke set bought a few weeks ago. (Vintage Golf Thread) First time with these clubs.
Weather great and course empty.
Played a 2-ball scramble on my own.
4 skied tee shots on the 1st and 3rd resulted in bogeys, but parred 2nd and 4th with 3s.
Sussed the very weighty feel to the woods and nailed a drive down the par-5 5th. Made bogey again due to 4-wood 2nd shots going left and right.
Par 3 6th hole made birdie with first tee shot and first putt. Lovely feeling to do that with 70-year old clubs. Used 1.62s on the par 3s as well.
Parred the last three to be 2-over. This included a 4-wood second shot on the 8th hit like a bullet - never more than 4ft off the ground - but there was only one place it was going - the green.
Woods and irons are strange, though. Very heavy feel. First attempts with the driver and 2-wood - I think the heaviness was pulling my arms out of their sockets resulting in going under the ball. Once I got the swing under control the feeling of a centre hit with both woods and irons was great.
Joy and privilege to play with these clubs.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in a team comp best two from four, all to score on par threes. Team Tash won front nine , back nine and overall.
£12 each thankyou very much.
Thing is It was good, bad and pig ugly ?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in the seniors stableford comp … left the driver at home, as it had got me three blobs last time out. Found that I just muffed three tee shots with other clubs instead ?. And it wasn’t there when I needed to use it off the deck to get under some branches. Hadn’t thought of that … der! Still, 32 points and 19th out of 30. So not a complete disaster.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in the seniors stableford comp … left the driver at home, as it had got me three blobs last time out. Found that I just muffed three tee shots with other clubs instead ?. And it wasn’t there when I needed to use it off the deck to get under some branches. Hadn’t thought of that … der! Still, 32 points and 19th out of 30. So not a complete disaster.
You hit driver from the rough when you need to hit it under trees?? That's a new one I've not heard before!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
You hit driver from the rough when you need to hit it under trees?? That's a new one I've not heard before!

One of my playing partners does this quite often if the ball is sat up in the rough on one of our par 5s. He tees his driver low anyway so not that different a shot for him.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just back from a quick 9 holes as I’m work this morning.
Played ok and my chipping was decent which is really annoying as it was ? on Monday

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When my first club went from 9 holes to 18 any mounds on the new 9 had stones working up to the surface so they were designated as "pick'n'place" and were left with fairly long grass
One par 5 had mounting on the right side..I used to aim for it, place it nicely on a clump of grass, hot the driver again and often make the green...shot hole too..(y)

D

Deleted member 3432

Summer weather finally....

Sneaked into last 8 in Club Champs, starting to hit the ball well now and putting stroke much improved from recent weeks.

Who would have thought that spending time practising putting actually works? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just played my scratch KO against a 12 handicapper. Done and dusted after 13 holes and now sat on the balcony having a pint. Next round is an 11 handicapper that I know well and can score well below his handicap so I’ll have to be on my game to beat him.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a senior's open Stableford at Northamptonshire County today, started 0, 2, 0 points including a shanked lost ball on the third, had a feeling it wasn't going to be my day. :sneaky:
I was right, 22 points, but not in last place!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We player Seaton Head today. What an amazing golf course. Every hole has something to worry about. Uphill down dale for the first 11 then a climb up to a par three 12th. Then another energy sapping climb to the 13th tee. Cracking greens. Fairways brilliant.
Then the 18th. Unless you've played it don't argue.
The BEST finishing hole ever. Tee off and send the ball into outer space and a 200 foot drop, well more once you add in the height you've launched it at. Utterly amazing.