I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Mandofred

Visit site
Played with an old work buddy today. After 5 holes I was down a shot....bloody hell. This guy has gotten a lot better in the last couple years since I last played with him. Not an issue....just jeez, he's made some improvements. Nope...a little bit though, but then.....sand trap (death by a thousand swings).....another sand trap...by then end, I was playing better for an 80....he ended up at 100 like he used to play. He is better though.....sand traps are a deadly place for him to go.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back on home soil today, and I struggled ot adjust to slower greens after the quick ones at Birkdale, istill managed 19 points on front nine but a few poor shots on the bakc nine knocked me back and I only scored 11 on the back for a disappointing 30, i expect the handicap to start going up.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Ilfracombe for the first time today, their boast is that you can see the sea from every tee, I can now vouch for that.

I can also vouch for the fact that this is a tricky course on the first outing, playing alone, and without a GPS, and only 150 yard sticks (which I think were to the middle), a very hilly course with a lot of blind shots.

Started dreadfully going triple, triple, double, I had little idea of where or how far I should be hitting tee shots and as a consequence my swing was very tentative.
Parred the 4th, the shortest par 3 I can remember playing on a full course, only 64 yards from the yellows! But two more triples saw me out in 52 (par 35) for 7 points!

Pulled myself together on the back nine to score 41 (par 34) for 18 points so 25 total.
I blobbed the 14th which had the silliest out of bounds at the back of the green; green running away, I landed the ball well short and it rolled across the green down the slope at the back of the green and into the OB which was only about 12 feet from the back of the green!

On the 17th I hit the flag with my birdie putt but it didn't drop but I did finish on a high and birdied the last. :D

Probably not to everybody's taste but I like the quirkier courses and so enjoyed the round.

1654207920377.png
1654207953214.png
1654207979585.png
1654208007961.png
1654208074345.png

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Ilfracombe for the first time today, their boast is that you can see the sea from every tee, I can now vouch for that.

Probably not to everybody's taste but I like the quirkier courses and so enjoyed the round.

Played there a few years ago, absolutely fell in love with the place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Won my 3rd Round Summer HCap Singles K/O match today. Giving 4 shots I was 1 over for front 9 and 5 up - with my short game on fire. Back 9 bit messier - and ended up winning 3-2.

Course in lovely condition with rough growing beautifully (very best to keep out)

Onwards to 4th Round and last 16.

TigerTime

Visit site
Can anyone enlighten me what the deal is with the 36 hole championships qualifying being open to 8 handicaps and under 'in the first instance'? Is this basically the main club champs where the best players enter?

Noticed theres a few over 8's booked into our clubs tomorrow, including a 20. Noticed a couple of free spots so was considering joining but not sure if I should or not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone enlighten me what the deal is with the 36 hole championships qualifying being open to 8 handicaps and under 'in the first instance'? Is this basically the main club champs where the best players enter?

Noticed theres a few over 8's booked into our clubs tomorrow, including a 20. Noticed a couple of free spots so was considering joining but not sure if I should or not.
Yes is the answer, to your first paragraph. Likely to be a scratch comp, hence the 8hcp limit (hope that makes sense ?)

TigerTime

Visit site
Yes is the answer, to your first paragraph. Likely to be a scratch comp, hence the 8hcp limit (hope that makes sense ?)
Ah okay, there is quite a few guys playing in ours who are over 8, including a 20,15,19,16. I'm tempted to join, because I've never played two rounds in one day before. Not that I would expect to do well or qualify or anything. Do both rounds count towards your handicap?

Am I just going to look like an idiot if I do join? The free spots are there to be taken and it's past the clubs stated 'first instance' date.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Played early to be done before work and the multitudes that would descend later in the day..
Hit my first shot at precisely 5.17..a glorious, fading drive that left me 101 to the green..
P.ayed the front 9 fairly quickly as I wanted to make the turn with nobody in front..
Hit my last putt on the 9th at 6.17 and, although I didn't keep accurate scores, I'd have been about level handicap.
Back 9 was bathed in glorious sunshine and I hit plenty more shots.
Almost didn't want it to end..best part of the day without doubt.
Parred the last to break 80.
Shame I had to go to work....might do it again tomorrow :)

You can’t beat golf first thing in the morning.
I’ve had plenty of rounds where I’ve tee’d off about 5am - one of the few joys of having an awful sleep pattern

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah okay, there is quite a few guys playing in ours who are over 8, including a 20,15,19,16. I'm tempted to join, because I've never played two rounds in one day before. Not that I would expect to do well or qualify or anything. Do both rounds count towards your handicap?

Am I just going to look like an idiot if I do join? The free spots are there to be taken and it's past the clubs stated 'first instance' date.
Some of the answers to this can only be given by your club so bear that in mind when you read what I post. I am best guessing ?.

At a previous club we didn't have many low h/c players so rather than have a comp for 6 players only they ran a scratch and h/c version at the same time. Only those below 6-8 could play in the scratch comp but others could play in the h/c version. It bulked out the field/course. It sounds as though your club is doing the same. If so, fill your boots and enjoy the day. The club have opened it up, it seems, and so they want others to join in.

I would fully expect both rounds to count towards your handicap, it is a case of 'why wouldn't it'?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can’t beat golf first thing in the morning.
I’ve had plenty of rounds where I’ve tee’d off about 5am - one of the few joys of having an awful sleep pattern
Just back from doing it all over again...except it was a bit cloudy...
Barely any cars about until 7.30
You never know..I might just do it again tomorrow...and Sunday...and Monday ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some of the answers to this can only be given by your club so bear that in mind when you read what I post. I am best guessing ?.

At a previous club we didn't have many low h/c players so rather than have a comp for 6 players only they ran a scratch and h/c version at the same time. Only those below 6-8 could play in the scratch comp but others could play in the h/c version. It bulked out the field/course. It sounds as though your club is doing the same. If so, fill your boots and enjoy the day. The club have opened it up, it seems, and so they want others to join in.

I would fully expect both rounds to count towards your handicap, it is a case of 'why wouldn't it'?
The club may well do a cut of those entered...so maybe for example best 64 handicaps who've entered. In the first instance anyone can enter, but you should be aware that if you are have a handicap of more than 8 you might not play. My club does that (or used to) for the main Open comp of the year, and indeed I think 8 was the likely cut-off.

TigerTime

Visit site
The club may well do a cut of those entered...so maybe for example best 64 handicaps who've entered. In the first instance anyone can enter, but you should be aware that if you are have a handicap of more than 8 you might not play. My club does that (or used to) for the main Open comp of the year, and indeed I think 8 was the likely cut-off.

Well the bookings just closed on HDID and theres 18 free times that haven't been taken. The bloke I put my name next to has moved to another time and completely left me on my own. Not like he was off 1 or something he was off 15!

Not sure what happens now in this scenario.

D

Deleted member 15344

Good fun at Beau Desert in an Open - shame about the pace of play , 4th group out and we waited on every shot , group in front lost 2 holes maybe , clearly no idea about ready golf when we kept seeing all 4 searching for one ball