I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Silver trophy yesterday and another good start blown. Standing on the 13th tee 1 under gross,only to go double, double, par, bogey, bogey par. Shocking tbh, on the plus side another good score knocked off so another handicap raise.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Social 4BBB game yesterday. Decided to play with vintage clubs as a practice for a vintage meet at Flempton tomorrow.
Ping Eye 2 driver, 3 and 5. Forgan Powerpakt irons 2-9, Edinbugh Golf SI and John Letters Golden Goose putter. That was 13 clubs so took King Cobra f-speed diver as well which I used 5 times on the front nine only. Well, we were playing for £2 and I wanted to be competitive.
Draw for partners on the first tee. I'm lowest and my partner gets 11 shots and I give the two opponents 9 and 17.
Without using my metal driver, I made 3 birdies, one blob and 5 pars on the back nine. Partner played very steady stuff as well. We won 2-up.
Birdied the 18th. Used a ball that had already seen 72 holes.
Reminded me of a recent post somewhere, so took a photo...

SDC11539.JPG

...90 holes played with a birdie on the 90th.

Springveldt

Visit site
Invitation Day yesterday, playing better ball with my mate who is scratch. We had 42 points between us (with me getting 6 shots due to 85% rule) so we had a good day. Should have been better as we both bogied the last 2 holes for 2 one pointers. Still 42 was about 6 better than we expected.

On a personal note I would have shot 73 at best and 75 at worse as I picked up on 2 holes as I couldn’t score and both times I had about 15 foot putts. More than likely 2 putts per hole but the way I putted yesterday I may have made 1 of them as once again I was holing everything I looked at. Was also 3 off the tee on one hole so overall I had a fantastic round with 3 birdies as well.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of just three medal comps we have on a Saturday yesterday (all are board comps) and noted around 110 in the field compared to 150 in last week’s stableford. Fairways and greens were very firm and after an 8 on the par 4 second was always between 2 and 4 over my handicap until I took a 9 on the par 5 last (had just 168 yards to go after 2 and then hit several poor shots in a row). Ended up with 99 (net 78).

When the final scores came in only two players had recorded net under par (71) rounds (both single figures) and in my division (18+playing handicap) the winning score was net 74. Was amazed that I could have equalled the best score in the division with a par 5 on the last having assumed that I was way off the pace.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered the monthly medal this afternoon. Predictably it was bloody awful.

We started on the 13th and I actually started well. After the 18th (6 holes played) I was only three over gross having got three pars in a row, but it all went tits up after that. First hole, par 3, sliced it right and it bounced through into some ridiculously long grass, but it took me two hacks to get it out and then another chip to get on the green - with hindsight I should have just dropped out and chipped on for one less shot. Sank a miracle putt to save double bogey though.

Two holes later on the 3rd - I just absolutely hate this hole off the whites. It's only a mid iron length but it's blind, and for some reason that makes me completely incapable of hitting a competent golf shot. Duffed the first attempt so badly into the nearby crap that elected to tee it up again - this time a weak fade that only found the front bunker. Good bunker shot but no rescuing putt this time so a triple bogey 6.

Some decent stuff for a while after that, after I parred the 9th I thought I might be able to salvage a reasonable score. Nah. Par 3 10th I sliced it right again, then undercook the chip on to leave myself short and in the bunker again. Compounded that with a lovely three putt for another triple bogey on a bloody par 3. And just to round off the day in style I made a total pig's ear of our last hole the 12th as well - going for the green with a five wood only to thin it onto the ditch and then miss the green with pitching wedge after the drop. Another triple.

Finished on 88, net 74 (six over) so not going to be a counting score on the old handicap either. Rubbish. Annoying thing is I putted superbly as well, which usually means I'm on for a good round but not today. Too many stupid holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
An open at Brancepeth Castle today, Co. Durham. Very classy course, beautiful setting. If anyone is coming to the area then put this one on your list of places to play. The first 10 are very strong. The remaining 8 were very decent but more standard parkland.

For anyone who has played the course before I came mighty close to a hole in one on the signature hole, 9. https://www.brancepeth-castle-golf.co.uk/the-course/hole-9/ . I was slightly more than excited, after the relief of clearing the valley of course ?, as the ball rolled around the green and shaved the hole before stopping a few feet away. Cracking hole incidentally.

As we were leaving we bumped into a guy on a golf trip with some mates, up from Derby. I think this was day 1, staying in South Shields. His group had some really good courses lined up. Was it anyone from on here?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finally my trip to Birkdale arrived today, 36 holes in the Lancs Ladies county Championship. I played decent and birdied the first but found far too many bunkers in the first round, that added to not being able to get the pace of the greens resulted in a disappointing 96 gross +21.
THe second 18 followed a similar pattern and after nine hole I had taken 47 shots, but then it all came together, I was level par for the back nine standing on the 18th tee, unfortunately I found a bunker with my 2nd shot and had an horrendous lie underneath the face which was over handing my ball so I took a 2 shot penalty drop outside the bunker (2nd time ever) I triple bogied the hole but I ended up with a gross 88 and it was enough to see me in 32 place and so I qualified to go back again tomorrow for the subsidiary knockout
Only drawback I am out at 8.15 so a very early start as it is a good hours drive

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
First round at my home courses since around end of January, moving house to North East Fife has got in the way of a lot of stuff and it's a half hour car journey to Monifieth rather that the 300 yard walk we had to the first tee from our previous house.

We headed out on the Ashludie at 5pm after visiting the grandkids in Carnoustie and as we left their house the weather forecast wasn't promising - it was drizzling as we teed off tonight but that had stopped by the time we were on the second tee and it was quite a nice evening with not a breath of wind. golf went Ok considering it's two months since I last hit a ball (on a trip to Argyll where we played Dunaverty and Mach Dunes), enjoyed it a lot.

IMG_7548.jpg
15th green Ashludie course, Monifieth

IMG_7547.jpg
18th green Ashludie course, Monifieth (photographed from just in front of 10th tee)

IMG_7549.jpg
18th green Ashludie course, Monifieth

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
An open at Brancepeth Castle today, Co. Durham. Very classy course, beautiful setting. If anyone is coming to the area then put this one on your list of places to play. The first 10 are very strong. The remaining 8 were very decent but more standard parkland.

For anyone who has played the course before I came mighty close to a hole in one on the signature hole, 9. https://www.brancepeth-castle-golf.co.uk/the-course/hole-9/ . I was slightly more than excited, after the relief of clearing the valley of course ?, as the ball rolled around the green and shaved the hole before stopping a few feet away. Cracking hole incidentally.

As we were leaving we bumped into a guy on a golf trip with some mates, up from Derby. I think this was day 1, staying in South Shields. His group had some really good courses lined up. Was it anyone from on here?

My wife is from Bishop Auckland so whenever we visit her family I make sure to pack the clubs and visit Brancepeth, it's such a great course and really good value. I often say to myself 'maybe I should visit another decent course in the area for a treat?' like Rockcliffe Hall or Close House, but I've always ended up circling back round to Brancepeth and cannot justify the prices of the other two. Even though I've played it a few times now I always enjoy it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife is from Bishop Auckland so whenever we visit her family I make sure to pack the clubs and visit Brancepeth, it's such a great course and really good value. I often say to myself 'maybe I should visit another decent course in the area for a treat?' like Rockcliffe Hall or Close House, but I've always ended up circling back round to Brancepeth and cannot justify the prices of the other two. Even though I've played it a few times now I always enjoy it
It was the first time I had played it, can't believe I have not before now, and I totally understand your thought process. Rockcliffe is simply very long, and tough, so don't bother there. Close House is very good, both courses, but the hike in green fees this year make them a non starter. I paid £18 to play in the open yesterday, absolute theft :LOL:. Even the usual fee at around £35 - £40 is good value considering the course, the setting, the condition etc.

I'm actually playing an Open at Bishop Auckland in August. Have you played there before? First time for me. I'm told it is not as good as Brancepeth but it is still very enjoyable.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
It was the first time I had played it, can't believe I have not before now, and I totally understand your thought process. Rockcliffe is simply very long, and tough, so don't bother there. Close House is very good, both courses, but the hike in green fees this year make them a non starter. I paid £18 to play in the open yesterday, absolute theft :LOL:. Even the usual fee at around £35 - £40 is good value considering the course, the setting, the condition etc.

I'm actually playing an Open at Bishop Auckland in August. Have you played there before? First time for me. I'm told it is not as good as Brancepeth but it is still very enjoyable.

Never played Bishop Auckland so definitely interested to hear your thoughts after you've played it in August for sure.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in a Society event at Dyke GC near Brighton yesterday. Didn’t know anyone as I took up the invitation on here from Smiffy. Unfortunately he was indisposed and couldn’t play in the end. Was in a four ball with three friendly guys, so it was a very enjoyable round. Really nice course with great views and a great pre-round cooked breakfast. Scored 35 points on a 95% adjusted handicap and came joint second. Wouldn’t have done to have won as a guest! ?

mister v

Visit site
I played on saturday in our monthly medal , i came 17th with a nett 72 par out of an entry of 106. 21 players shot nett level par, but the highlight was my mate won with a nett 67. brilliant conditions and we had a few pints afterwards having arranged for the enemy to pick us up!!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was up at the crack of dawn to go back to Birkdale for the Knockout stages of the championship plate, The lady I was playing had her husband along as a caddie. After winning the first then lost the next 6, she played them very well but she was so slow, the pair of them debated every shot, he was giving her lines for everything from a drive to a putt, I like to play at a decent pace and so was probably rushing my shots as I was aware we were falling behind.

I was 4 down after 8 and finally got one back when she over shot the 9th green, I also won the 10th then we had a couple of halves, twice I got back to 1 down but both times immediately gave it back to her and I lost on the last 2&1
When we had played the 11th there were a couple of officials who told us we had lost 2 holes and needed to pick up the pace at which my opponent said to me, it has only taken 2 hours 20mins to here, I don't call that slow! I am glad I dont play at her club!

So that ends my 54 hole trip to Royal Birkdale, I enjoyed the course it was very nice but it didn`t wow me, maybe because I was concentrating on playing and not appreciating the course. I will say the bunkers are very well placed although I was disappointed with the condition of the sand in a lot of them

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well that’s a jolt in the arm,literally.
Was playing in a match at Burnham and Berrow and on the 15 had 75 into the green on a uphill lie.
Jabbed my wedge into the ground and bang went my shoulder.
Didn’t dislocate but the pain was excruciating.
Been laid up for 5 days now and have cancelled all golf to June 9th.
Hopefully that’s long enough.

Fingers crossed it’s not serious.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played north foreland with a friend/client and it was painful with 2 pars and a birdie.

Don’t think I’ve ever written down 7 so many times

I Hit several decent drives which always nice.

The best part was I can claim it all back on expenses

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played at Flempton yesterday in a PGS (Persimmon Golf Society) event.
Three-putted 4 times in the first 7 holes to be 8 over par. Then did the next 11 holes in one over with just one birdie.
It is a 9-hole course. So at least I can say that I have done the course in one over par. ;)
Played with my favourite set of irons - 60-year-old Forgan Power-pakt. Nearly as old as me!

SDC11304.JPG SDC11305.JPG

It was a lovely day and I will look forward to going again.

RichA

Visit site
Been struggling with the driver forever. Suddenly it's red hot - every drive this evening was long and in play.
Odyssey 2-ball also suddenly working well.
Shame the iron play has gone to ?.
Why does everything never all work at the same time.