I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well for the last three rounds I have played of whites at my place. The first time was to get practice in for a doubles match, I was rubbish. The second time was in the doubles match, I was worse, lord knows how we were still in it going down the last and I messed this up as well, we lost. Third time was today trying to get more practice in ready for my singles second round match, luckilly I got a bye in the first. God almighty I was poor. Manged a 96, same as my mate....who's off 28.
The wife marches on though. Shot 104 (102), so another cut coming tomorrow.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Phase 3 of the Norfolk Odyssey completed, now at home dying of alcohol poisoning....o_O
Hunstanton - Nice.....Nice course...apart from the 209 yard blind tee shot par 3....didn't feel it fitted with the rest of the course...
Good fun oscillating the pole though:LOL: - I stead of a bell they have a pole that you wobble by pulling on a rope - it lets the next group know you've finished.
So many bounces that cost me a shot or 2 - scored 28 points but with average luck it could have been mid 30s..very frustrating but at least we missed the rain.
Tied with Fragger today so he beat me overall but.............I still beat him gross and that's all that counts;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Phase 3 of the Norfolk Odyssey completed, now at home dying of alcohol poisoning....o_O
Hunstanton - Nice.....Nice course...apart from the 209 yard blind tee shot par 3....didn't feel it fitted with the rest of the course...
Good fun oscillating the pole though:LOL: - I stead of a bell they have a pole that you wobble by pulling on a rope - it lets the next group know you've finished.
So many bounces that cost me a shot or 2 - scored 28 points but with average luck it could have been mid 30s..very frustrating but at least we missed the rain.
Tied with Fragger today so he beat me overall but.............I still beat him gross and that's all that counts;)

Alcohol poisoning? you probably had 4 pints on Saturday including lunch, 3 pints on Sunday, inc 1 after the round and you were in bed by 10 pm
no more than 2 today, ....for a heavy weight, you're a bit of a light weight :)

really enjoyed the weekend, weather was near perfect, 31 points at Cromer & Sheringham, 28 today at Hunstanton where everything was running for England.
Got nearest the pin today, so happy with that and beat himself net, all this gross stuff is over rated :)

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t get this WHS. Pre-kids I was a 9 handicap. I played pretty close to no golf for 13 years and have got back into it again this year as joined a club in Feb. Playing inconsistently - some great, some shocking. I’ve done well in recent club competitions; 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd.

Going into this weekend I was 19.9 handicap. 2 day event, 95% handicap. yesterday I was +2 net, today -4 net so came 2nd at -2 net overall.

Handicap went UP to 20.2. I was expecting / hoping for a bit of a reduction.

I’m already hearing the “bandit” phrase and am submitting the score after every round. The last month or so it’s all been competitions or medals.

If you haven't got 20 rounds in the number of rounds used to calculate your handicap may well have changed. If you have got 20 rounds in then you need to look at the round that has dropped off. if it was it had a lower score differential than your latest you would go up.

The system works I struggle to see why people (people in general) struggle to understand it

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interclub team match today, I was giving my opponent 4 shots and got off to a poor start, the green had been treated this morning and I couldnt get the pace, I was 3 down after 4 holes and had to hole a couple of tricky putts on the next 2 holes as well.
I finally got going on the 7th and had a nice run of 6 holes where I turned 3 down into 2 up and then I finished the match on the 16th winning 3&2.
The team won too so I good day

Jason.H

Visit site
Interclub team match today, I was giving my opponent 4 shots and got off to a poor start, the green had been treated this morning and I couldnt get the pace, I was 3 down after 4 holes and had to hole a couple of tricky putts on the next 2 holes as well.
I finally got going on the 7th and had a nice run of 6 holes where I turned 3 down into 2 up and then I finished the match on the 16th winning 3&2.
The team won too so I good day

That’s a good comeback, well done. Match play gets the emotions going.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors BB Open at Bolton Old Links. First time playing the course and enjoyed the walk but not the golf. Partner and I were both rubbish. Greens were really good but lots of subtle breaks around the pin positions.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Got out for a few practice holes tonight. Tried a few different things and focused on hitting my 18° hybrid off the tee as I'm playing at SAOL tonight and my driver hasn't been performing too well.

The hybrid was a revelation, it was pretty breezy last night but the flight is so low and penetrating that it doesn't seem to be as affected by it so it was finishing up only about 10 yards short of my driver anyway.

Also spent some time working on my yardages as they've been miles out recently so I'm fairly comfortable ive got a better handle on them now.

Roll on tonight! SAOL has beaten me up the two times I've played it so far so I'm hoping tonight I can just plot my way around.

Springveldt

Visit site
So there is a days lag on the EG app. Yesterdays increase was related to Saturdays +2. Todays cut was based on yesterdays -4. Handicap down to 18.7 today
It updates at midnight so that’s where the “delay” has come from.

As others have said, it’s the average of your best 8 from your last 20. The EG app will show you what score is dropping off. You get some “free” rounds where your handicap won’t change if the score dropping off isn’t in your best 8 and the score you are posting isn’t either.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
So, played yesterday at Oakland Park (NW London) with a buddy who literally hasn't hit a ball for 6 years. Step onto the first tee and he takes his swing........the clubhead flies off! Guess the shed storage hasn't been good for his clubs :D

Comedy aside.....I shot 89!! Yes it's a Par 67 and yes the course is easy (getting to that later), but as a gross score I am still bloody elated and is my best round gross by 6 shots.

As happy as I was/am, when it came to putting the numbers into the EG app, according to WHS algorithms the 95 gross (+25) I shot at Brancepeth (69.9 / 128) last week is actually 4 shots better than this 89 (+22) at Oakland Park (64.2 / 106). Does take the shine off of breaking 90 for the first time, not even sure I should really be counting it as 'breaking 90' given how easy the course supposedly is?

Numbers aside, played some reasonable golf so happy days

AliMc

Visit site
Beautiful day at Sunny Dunny after a couple of showers early on, won 4bbb 4&3, round in 1 over 72, greens more like normal now after a poor couple of weeks in the constant cold east wind, lots of visitors coming back now including some Scandinavians

D

Deleted member 3432

Walked off after 12 due it being tortureously slow, for some reason the club decided it was a good idea to give some visitors permission to play off the white tee's. Very windy combined with at least 2 of them choppers proving a recipe for disaster.

Hit the practice ground and got soaked when a massive shower went through. All in all a crap day and weather not looking good again for Thursday.

Not enjoying golf at the moment, its been cool and windy for weeks now. One or the other is fine, not both every time out.

Springveldt

Visit site
So, played yesterday at Oakland Park (NW London) with a buddy who literally hasn't hit a ball for 6 years. Step onto the first tee and he takes his swing........the clubhead flies off! Guess the shed storage hasn't been good for his clubs :D

Comedy aside.....I shot 89!! Yes it's a Par 67 and yes the course is easy (getting to that later), but as a gross score I am still bloody elated and is my best round gross by 6 shots.

As happy as I was/am, when it came to putting the numbers into the EG app, according to WHS algorithms the 95 gross (+25) I shot at Brancepeth (69.9 / 128) last week is actually 4 shots better than this 89 (+22) at Oakland Park (64.2 / 106). Does take the shine off of breaking 90 for the first time, not even sure I should really be counting it as 'breaking 90' given how easy the course supposedly is?

Definitely count it as breaking 90 even just for the mental side of it to yourself.

Springveldt

Visit site
Walked off after 12 due it being tortureously slow, for some reason the club decided it was a good idea to give some visitors permission to play off the white tee's. Very windy combined with at least 2 of them choppers proving a recipe for disaster.

Hit the practice ground and got soaked when a massive shower went through. All in all a crap day and weather not looking good again for Thursday.

Not enjoying golf at the moment, its been cool and windy for weeks now. One or the other is fine, not both every time out.
I'm still enjoying golf but not so much the weather. Been finding the same as you even although the course is 6 or 7 miles inland, just seems to be blowing most Saturdays and Wednesdays. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow afternoon/evening and I'm wondering if it's even worth going out as the wind is going to be 18-20mph with gusts of 32-36mph. Nearly in June and I can count on one hand how many nice sunny, calm days I've played in this year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

As the old saying goes, you can only beat what's in front of you. I'd put it down as a good day's golf and think of it as breaking 90* with an asterisk. :D Played there myself the other week with my wife, really nice there actually, and while I considered it a 'shorter' course or not full length, the par is only one lower than my home course currently is, and it's only about 500 yards shorter. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 3432

I'm still enjoying golf but not so much the weather. Been finding the same as you even although the course is 6 or 7 miles inland, just seems to be blowing most Saturdays and Wednesdays. Looking at the forecast for tomorrow afternoon/evening and I'm wondering if it's even worth going out as the wind is going to be 18-20mph with gusts of 32-36mph. Nearly in June and I can count on one hand how many nice sunny, calm days I've played in this year.

I've not played a round this year without a jacket of some sort on.
The one nice day I could play I didn't have a playing partner :rolleyes:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It was lovely today when it wasn't tipping it down ?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played for the handicap team away at St Annes Old Links tonight.

Course was stunning and the greens were the best I've played on so far this year.

Despite feeling confident after a practice knock last night I managed to develop a 2 way miss with my hybrid and my driver was damn near unusable. Meant I was missing a lot of fairways and having to play myself back into position so was stuck on bogey golf for much of it with a few blow up holes where it got really bad.

Putting was decent though and I holed a couple of long range efforts for birdies.

We lost the match 2 and 1 but not a bad result given the wind and the fact my partner and I maybe hit 6 FIRs all round ?.

Think I'll give the handicap team a miss for a while (assuming I'd even get picked), and focus on playing more comps at my home course. My game is crumbling under the pressure of competition at the moment.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played with my brother at Pannal, about 4 years since I last played there and I was very impressed with the changes they've made over the last few years, tree and scrub clearance has opened up the course and it has a much better feel to it.

My golf was rubbish, however, we shared a basket of balls on the range and I'm not exaggerating when I say that I shanked over half of my shots.
Didn't bode well for the actual round and I did hit q few shanks but nowhere near as bad as on the range. Scored 28 points which was far better than I was expecting after the shankfest on the range.

Also picked up a nice couple of sets of clubs, pictures to follow.