I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Day 2 of the Norfolk Odyssey completed..
Didn't have time to post yesterday's round..too much beer to drink.
Cromer was very decent..although I found the greens a bit bobbly. Spanked 2 OB on one hole and really wasn't striking well. Ended on 29 points, just missing out on the longest drive prize..
Fragger, gleefully, gathered 31?
Onto Sheringham today..glorious day and a quality course to boot.
Ball striking still extremely suspect but managed to hit some decent shots.
Won the longest drive today...
Totalled 27 points today..we all felt it was a much harder course than Cromer.
Fragger, once again, scored 31?
Onto Hunstanton tomorrow.
Not used to all this drinking and frivolity ??

Mike79

Visit site
I don’t get this WHS. Pre-kids I was a 9 handicap. I played pretty close to no golf for 13 years and have got back into it again this year as joined a club in Feb. Playing inconsistently - some great, some shocking. I’ve done well in recent club competitions; 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd.

Going into this weekend I was 19.9 handicap. 2 day event, 95% handicap. yesterday I was +2 net, today -4 net so came 2nd at -2 net overall.

Handicap went UP to 20.2. I was expecting / hoping for a bit of a reduction.

I’m already hearing the “bandit” phrase and am submitting the score after every round. The last month or so it’s all been competitions or medals.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t get this WHS. Pre-kids I was a 9 handicap. I played pretty close to no golf for 13 years and have got back into it again this year as joined a club in Feb. Playing inconsistently - some great, some shocking. I’ve done well in recent club competitions; 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd.

Going into this weekend I was 19.9 handicap. 2 day event, 95% handicap. yesterday I was +2 net, today -4 net so came 2nd at -2 net overall.

Handicap went UP to 20.2. I was expecting / hoping for a bit of a reduction.

I’m already hearing the “bandit” phrase and am submitting the score after every round. The last month or so it’s all been competitions or medals.
I think what happens is, you put your card in, and then somebody tosses a coin to decide whether you go up or down. It's the only thing that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just me and my 28 capper mate today. Decided to put cards in as we both want to get lower - played off yellows though. I would say I played tidily, but nothing special. Only one double bogey after a poor pitch put me in a place you do not want to be chipping from. Only made 5 pars which just wasn't enough really. Shot 82, which was 36 points off of 14. But on my record it's showing as score differential of 17 so I guess it was all a waste of time. A 90 at my old course is still deemed better. Stupid system.

Should have been a 79, as for the double I was middle of the fairway 70 yards out before that pitch ruined it, plus I missed an 18 incher for par on another green. But even so, god knows if a 79 even would have been enough. I saw an email saying our slope rating has been lowered even further now reflecting the shortened hole we have, so I'll probably have to break 70 from now on just to get down to 13 handicap. :cautious:

You played of the yellow so the score differential will be different as no doubt the slope rating of the yellow will be lower

Play of the whites and your 36 points will be 36 points.

Do you expect the yellows to be the same level as the whites ? Why is it stupid

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
So close to my best ever round today in one of our major comps, putted well the front nine and was level after 8 holes, sadly my par putt on nine just slipped by, so missed my first level par 9 holes in a comp. couldn't keep it going on the back nine was doing ok and a birdie on 16 really help and i stood on the 18th tee just 6 over and then topped my tee shot into a ditch, then 3 putted to drop 3shots on the hole. A bit gutted. by best comp round stays at 79.

It turns out that had I parred the last I would have lost the comp on a card playoff, which eased the pain a little.

A nice cut though and back down to 8.6, I would have taken that on the first tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You played of the yellow so the score differential will be different as no doubt the slope rating of the yellow will be lower

Play of the whites and your 36 points will be 36 points.

Do you expect the yellows to be the same level as the whites ? Why is it stupid
Looking at it logically - the algorithm or whatever tells me I get 14 shots for my round off the yellows. I get 36 points so I played to handicap. Then it tells me, no, you actually played to 17 not 14. I just don't see how it makes any sense that's all. To be honest I think it's better if I go back to not putting cards in and just do it for competitions. I liked it better when I didn't think about it as much.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looking at it logically - the algorithm or whatever tells me I get 14 shots for my round off the yellows. I get 36 points so I played to handicap. Then it tells me, no, you actually played to 17 not 14. I just don't see how it makes any sense that's all. To be honest I think it's better if I go back to not putting cards in and just do it for competitions. I liked it better when I didn't think about it as much.

Or just look at how it is supposed to be ?‍♂️

The yellows will be easier than the whites so you need to play better off the yellows to get the same level of scores you would off the whites - that was the same before WHS etc

Or as I said just play of the whites and put cards in

it’s not a new thing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

What is there to think about? Play, put your score in, and let the system adjust your HI to whatever it will be.

I really don’t understand why people worry so much about it. What is wrong with just going out and shooting the best score you can?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or just look at how it is supposed to be ?‍♂️

The yellows will be easier than the whites so you need to play better off the yellows to get the same level of scores you would off the whites - that was the same before WHS etc

Or as I said just play of the whites and put cards in

it’s not a new thing.
Whites and yellows are like 1 shot difference on course rating.

What is there to think about? Play, put your score in, and let the system adjust your HI to whatever it will be.

I really don’t understand why people worry so much about it. What is wrong with just going out and shooting the best score you can?
I can do that without handing cards in. I'm an overthinker, I want to get my handicap down, in the old system I knew what I had to do, in this one I don't, apparently. I'd have been quite happy with 82 if I hadn't have put the card in, now I'm disappointed. I'd rather do without it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...a fun 'fancy dress' team best two from four stableford competition - shotgun start at 8:30am; then from late afternoon did my team mentor/skipper thing for an academy Texas scramble - and gosh it was warm today. Course coming along splendidly as the rough grows like billy-oh. Fun days ahead.:rolleyes:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Whites and yellows are like 1 shot difference on course rating.

I can do that without handing cards in. I'm an overthinker, I want to get my handicap down, in the old system I knew what I had to do, in this one I don't, apparently. I'd have been quite happy with 82 if I hadn't have put the card in, now I'm disappointed. I'd rather do without it.

Forget about what “par” is. The handicap is done off the course rating, which at your place is 66/65.

That’s why your 82 is a score of +17.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forget about what “par” is. The handicap is done off the course rating, which at your place is 66/65.

That’s why your 82 is a score of +17.
Then why it not reflected in my course handicap then? 36 points used to mean you played to handicap, but now it doesn't, I guess. I don't know how else to explain what I mean. Basically it's just demoralising thinking you've had a decent round but then the computer says no.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Then why it not reflected in my course handicap then? 36 points used to mean you played to handicap, but now it doesn't, I guess. I don't know how else to explain what I mean. Basically it's just demoralising thinking you've had a decent round but then the computer says no.

Because points scored in a stableford is against Par, not the course rating.

Another way to think of it is that you now need 38/39 points to shoot your handicap. Or think of it as a par 66.

Basically when playing your score will be measured against par, but you handicap will be measured against course rating.

MACM85

Visit site
Played in the Mizuno pairs yesterday, We were two down until the 14th and managed to get Dormie, They played the 18th as well as you can by cracking their drive down the middle and hitting a 8 iron 130 yards to 2 feet of the flag for a 3. I chipped onto the green but lipped out on the putt for the 4. Down the 1st we go, Half in 4's to par. Onto the second and I managed to hit the green with the tee shot and get a birdie on the par 3. They leaked both of theirs into the bunkers and bladed it out to give us the hole and walk off.

Was a good game but found when the other team were winning they were very chirpy. Once it started to go in our favour they soon became quiet. We have a home draw in the next round so shall see what how that goes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because points scored in a stableford is against Par, not the course rating.

Another way to think of it is that you now need 38/39 points to shoot your handicap. Or think of it as a par 66.

Basically when playing your score will be measured against par, but you handicap will be measured against course rating.
Yeah, I just don't like it. I can't help how I think. Next weekend there's a medal, for example, the idea that I could shoot net 1 under but it not count as one of my best rounds will never make sense to me I'm afraid. If you beat your handicap, your handicap should go down. :cautious:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

Assuming you play at Grims Dyke as per your signature, the course rating of the yellows is almost 3 less than par, so so you have to score 3 better than 36 to play to your handicap.
The rating off the whites is almost 2 less than par so I would think that 36 points of the whites would also not be playing to handicap

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Assuming you play at Grims Dyke as per your signature, the course rating of the yellows is almost 3 less than par, so so you have to score 3 better than 36 to play to your handicap.
The rating off the whites is almost 2 less than par so I would think that 36 points of the whites would also not be playing to handicap
Yeah, I know. Stupid isn't it?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah, I just don't like it. I can't help how I think. Next weekend there's a medal, for example, the idea that I could shoot net 1 under but it not count as one of my best rounds will never make sense to me I'm afraid. If you beat your handicap, your handicap should go down. :cautious:

My place is par 69, CR 67.1

Gross 80 off the whites gets you a score diff of 11.9 so thats commonly my target. Beat 80 and its a low score diff (for me)

Maybe find the score diff that equals the handicap you aspire to, then aim to beat that?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My place is par 69, CR 67.1

Gross 80 off the whites gets you a score diff of 11.9 so thats commonly my target. Beat 80 and its a low score diff (for me)

Maybe find the score diff that equals the handicap you aspire to, then aim to beat that?
I dunno, I was hoping to shoot 80 yesterday as I thought that would be decent enough, but on reflection it probably wasn't. Having only broken 80 for the first time two months ago, I now need to break 80 every single week in order to get my handicap down. :unsure: Tough crowd.