I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played in a Texas Scramble up at Windermere today.

We were pretty average in the main and struggling with our approaches in the wind so ended up with too many 10ft plus putts which was disappointing.

4 tee shots per person minimum and I was personally hitting driver terribly at first so we went with any half decent ones of mine at first... unfortunately by the end of the round I was striping it but we had to make up the numbers with the others so they weren't used!

Lovely little course though and the views were incredible!

20220312_203654.jpg

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played great on the front 9 for 21 points. Shanked one out of nowhere on the 10th , lost ball, totally messed with my head for the rest of the round. Ended up on 34. Then went from bad to worse, see snapped shaft thread.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
QF of Winter singles hcap k/o saw me a 4-3 win giving 8 shots. Played not very well tee to green (inc. three topped drives), but sufficiently well for me to be able to take advantage of the good short game I have working for me these days. Pleasingly included back2back sandy pars, with the putts being gimmies, at an important point in the match - one saw me win the hole against a shot, the other a half with my opponent lipping out his birdie. Semi next.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Redbourn nine holer with the wife. I played fairly well, 5 over par (five bogeys four pars). Only hit two really bad shots, and chipping & putting improved as I went along. She did well too, all 5s and 6s apart from one par 3! That gives her 24 points from three shots per hole, but she always scores better here as there are no long holes (longest is 220 tops). She still can't bit an iron hardly at all though and it's getting her down I think.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played in a Texas Scramble up at Windermere today.

We were pretty average in the main and struggling with our approaches in the wind so ended up with too many 10ft plus putts which was disappointing.

4 tee shots per person minimum and I was personally hitting driver terribly at first so we went with any half decent ones of mine at first... unfortunately by the end of the round I was striping it but we had to make up the numbers with the others so they weren't used!

Lovely little course though and the views were incredible!

View attachment 41774
I'd bet the scores are very much lower down the pleasure list on such days!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Finally broke 80! Woohoo!

After bogeying the first I managed six pars in a row, which might be a new record for me, I can't remember. Par five 8th though it went a bit wrong - hit a tree with my 2nd shot, then a great hybrid & pitching wedge gave me a par putt chance - I decided to three-putt instead for a 7. Four bogeys and a par over the next five holes was more normal fare. Then on the 14th I managed to chip in with a hybrid from off the green for a birdie 2.

On the 16th I had a real mare and thought I'd ruined it. Tee shot went right, didn't seem that bad at first but it was swamp land over there. Every shot was from soft mud and I didn't have an answer for it so ended up with a triple bogey 7. I thought typical, it's going to be yet another 80 round. Bogeyed the 17th when the putt lipped out (literally the 4th time that had happened today). 18th hole I drove it into the bunker just left of the fairway - managed to hit a full 56° (80-ish yards) and caught it perfect to find the green. Two putts for par, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover I'd shot 78! Finally beaten that milestone which is a great feeling! Hopefully I'll be doing that a few more times this year. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First honours board event of the season. Pairs event, both scores to count. I played with Dufferman from here. Suffice to say it didn't go well. He made a couple of great birdies and I was steady until the last few holes and we never got it going. I seem to play the front nine well at the moment and then fall away from 13 onwards. Same today. Great up and down for a par on the last with a deft pitch over the pond will get me coming back next week. Played really long off the whites with overnight rain and strong wonds

Jason.H

Visit site
49 points today pairing up with an unknown partner (high handicapper) thanks to online booking. Four ball stableford (pairs), we had 22 on the front then a mind boggling 27 on the back. Played in quite a few of these In the past but never really scored well. I’m more into singles events personally. Oh I’m no bandit playing off 8. I managed to birdie holes where I had shots and my playing partner started off losing balls due to a severe hook came good on the back nine.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
First full 18 for quite a while for me today, played decently, steady front 9 for gross 41, then started the back nine double bogey, birdie, double bogey. Parred the last five holes for gross 40 back, particularly nice was knowing my stamina didn't drop towards the end of the round.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sunny Dunny (Dunbar) today and it was blowing a hoolie! First time this year playing off grass and fast greens with the first few putts going way past the hole! Back to mats on Wednesday at Blairgowrie so it will be interesting.

AliMc

Visit site
Sunny Dunny (Dunbar) today and it was blowing a hoolie! First time this year playing off grass and fast greens with the first few putts going way past the hole! Back to mats on Wednesday at Blairgowrie so it will be interesting.
Yeah i played at 12:20 yesterday Clive and blowing a hoolie describes it perfectly ! Not the normal prevailing wind from the West/South West, I've hit it on the 1st in 2 a few times during the winter today it was Driver, 3 wood and full 9 iron, hit a 265 yard 7 iron on the 12th (after a skied drive) certainly a day for blowing the cobwebs away ?

phillarrow

Visit site

After bogeying the first I managed six pars in a row, which might be a new record for me, I can't remember. Par five 8th though it went a bit wrong - hit a tree with my 2nd shot, then a great hybrid & pitching wedge gave me a par putt chance - I decided to three-putt instead for a 7. Four bogeys and a par over the next five holes was more normal fare. Then on the 14th I managed to chip in with a hybrid from off the green for a birdie 2.

On the 16th I had a real mare and thought I'd ruined it. Tee shot went right, didn't seem that bad at first but it was swamp land over there. Every shot was from soft mud and I didn't have an answer for it so ended up with a triple bogey 7. I thought typical, it's going to be yet another 80 round. Bogeyed the 17th when the putt lipped out (literally the 4th time that had happened today). 18th hole I drove it into the bunker just left of the fairway - managed to hit a full 56° (80-ish yards) and caught it perfect to find the green. Two putts for par, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover I'd shot 78! Finally beaten that milestone which is a great feeling! Hopefully I'll be doing that a few more times this year. ?

Good on you! That's a barrier that many of us would love to break...and most of us never will! Well done you!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a 4-club challenge today, Stableford scoring.

In the bag:
  • John Letters "Shotmaster" 2 1/2 persimmon wood
  • St Andrew Golf Co "Royal Scot" 4 iron
  • Glenfarg, dot face, coated shaft 7 iron
  • Spalding "W Model" hickory putter

I started well and scored 21 points on the front nine.

No score on the 10th but got back into it until the end of the round where I frittered away a shot a hole on the 16th, 17th and 18th.
Finished on 84 gross for 36 points though so can't complain.

image.png.de8763d1b0f4bb85a702d2d4c6cddc41.png
image.png.11656fa6adcb85cd8762b3dcff4ae78f.png

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Two day tournament for the boy over the weekend, DQ;d on Saturday cos I thought it was stableford (doh) - I really should spoend more time reading the rules of the comp.
Better day yesterday - highlight was the 6th hole, where he was a couple of inches from making a respectable birdie on a 400 yard uphill par 4.

Nailed his driver, and then pured a 5 iron onto the green - for a kid that's just turned 12, that's a lot of ground to cover with those clubs.

It was a scratch comp and he came 4th in his age group, but had about 39 putts - definitely room for improvement.

D

Deleted member 23344

Very well done! You must be really chuffed. I live in hope of breaking 90 … but I think that it probably won’t happen now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Top effort. Think you're going to have a good season. The signs have been there for a while. Now for the big challenge - consistency and doing it regularly

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing 36 holes at New Zealand Golf Club today with a mate to celebrate him getting a job in Switzerland, and the place just *blew my mind* (in a good way). It's like stepping back in time and the service was second to none, as was the fish and chips lunch :D

In terms of golf, I shot 97 in the AM and 95 in the PM which are my 3rd and 1st in my list of lowest scores ever thus far! Driving is the weakness that needs fixing but at times I got away with it in terms of the fairways being generous and if I missed them I was able to find my ball in the heather as opposed to it being water, OOB, dense rough, etc. Approach and short game was pretty good for me, putting was average. Have a new years resolution to break 95 so one more shot to find and despite that being my lowest round thus far I still see plenty of scope to take ~5 shots off from the tee, duffs, idiot/newbie shots, etc.

What a great course in great condition