I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played hickory at Flempton GC today, lovely 9-hole course ideally suited to hickory and a really nice day for it.
Played some of the best hickory I can remember, even the driver was behaving.

Another hickory game tomorrow at Royal Worlington which is also a 9-hole course, weather forecast isn't so generous though....

HeftyHacker

Visit site
What's the opposite of a Purple patch..?
Whatever it is...I'm in the middle of one......?

Had the same a few weeks back, you'll get through it.

I didn't swing a club for a couple weeks before it and when I got back the course everything felt so alien. I've had longer breaks before and been fine so I don't know what threw me so much.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A nice game at Nairn this morning, not much wind, quite warm too, 10 deg. My golf onnthe other hand was rank. Topped it off the first 3 tees, managed par on these holes thanks to a single putt on each, hit my irons ok but off the tee on the front 9 terrible. Driver was better on a few holes on the back.

High light though wasnt on the golf course, but the pod of dolphins in close to the beach along the first 5 holes, herding fish. Great to see, easp so close.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played my third consecutive day of hickory golf, today was at Royal Worlington in a foursmomes match for the BGCS against Worlington.
Won our match after being down for most of the round and the team won overall.

Delicious lunch and then out for another go but my old body was feeling it by now so the incoming rain curtailing us to 9 holes was almost welcome.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the afternoon off for a round with my dad. So after three days of lovely weather, of course it began peeing down around our tee time. I doubled the first but made a few pars and after six holes I was only 3 over par somehow. It didn't last. Ironically I played better in the rain, as it stopped around the 8th hole and the rest of my round was hit and miss at best. The rain returned on the 16th and we just packed it in as the 16th green is next to the car park anyway. I'd managed 28 points so fairly off the pace. My dad had managed 1 point better, off an invented handicap of 36 - in truth he would be a little higher than that so he did well really.

Most alarming for me was that I only hit 10% of fairways when I normally hit 50-60%. It could either be because I've put the loft back down to 10.5 (although I did that prior to last week and last week it was fine), or because of the miserable weather and having a coat on I was doing lazy, restricted swings. Probably more likely the latter with a tiny smidge of the former. On the plus side I hit a few decent 7 woods - I realised that in the last few weeks I'd become a bit tense and not swinging freely with it so I tried to remedy that with reasonable results.

Edit: forgot to say, I hit the flag from 110 yards on the 8th. The ball rebounded back off the front of the green. ??

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
Had a shocker today. Started off in style by missing a 2 footer for birdie on the first. Things didn't get much better really. First really poor round in months though so it was probably due. Ended on 30 points and had a few putts burn the edges, just one of those days.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
First round for 5 weeks following a foot tendon strain, so wasn’t expecting much.
In fact I was half expecting to be the fodder to help rebuild @imurgs confidence following his recent dramatic loss of form.

Scores were 14-13 in my favour after 9
And he didn’t really improve and we finished 32-26 which I was very pleased with and he wasn’t

Greens have recently been tined and sanded and were of variable pace and a bit bobbley.

I only noticed 3 club chucking incidents too, which is an improvement ???

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After yesterday's shocker, hit it much better today. Driving 100% improvement on yesterday's., didn't really hole anything, one birdie and one bogey.

greenone

Visit site
3 3/4 hours to play 13 holes today when I walked off. The 2 ball that the group in front let through on the 6th was on the 18th green when I got back to clubhouse