I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1st Medal of the year today...and Boy was it hard work.
Currently sitting in 7th place in Div 1 with a nett 3 over.
The wind and the cold made it very tough going and there's 1 score nett under par out of 90 players with 2 scores to come in....
Parred the first 5 holes and then it all started going Pete Tong.....
Had to hit a 4 wood into the 195 yard 13th straight into the wind....many were hitting drivers.

Tidy first effort of the year especially in those conditions. Any idea what it does to your handicap

phillarrow

Visit site
... Had a bit of a stinker in all honesty, but it was great to get out in good weather and with good company.

Highlight of the day was a 3 wood from 203 yards into the headwind to within 5 feet.

Lowlight was losing my ball with a very wayward drive on the 14th...and then losing my provisional in exactly the same way! ?

Just enough good shots today to make me think that it will be better next time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saturday
Thought the course might be closed but they had it open again. Went out in the usual three-ball. Very cold, and windy. We started on the 8th again, a par 5, into the wind without any warm-up so I double-bogeyed that one. Parred the next though, and generally a bit hit-and-miss for the first nine holes, with the wind causing havoc.

Really kicked into gear on the second nine though. From the 17th round to the 7th I was only 2 over par, including one birdie after a full pitching wedge hit to two feet. Well chuffed, and thought I might have finally broken 80, put my score in after the last hole and checked - 80 on the nose, AGAIN. Getting silly now. 39 points for the win with my mates both getting 32.

Sunday
Rather hungover after my band's gig last night, I still agreed to go out and do nine holes with the wife, at Wexham green course. It was even bloody colder than yesterday, although less wind at least. I started horrendously, which is pretty standard for hungover golf. Scraped a few pars on the easiest holes but ended up with a pretty poor 43 for 14 points.

She also started horrendously, only nabbing 1 point for the first two holes, but she started to warm up and did well in the end. She even managed a par on the 8th and ended up shooting 57 for 20 points, which I was quite impressed with even though she wasn't! She still seems to focus on the bad rather than the good, and I'm struggling to get her out of that mindset. I was the same when I started playing though so I know it takes a while.

phillarrow

Visit site
Saturday
Thought the course might be closed but they had it open again. Went out in the usual three-ball. Very cold, and windy. We started on the 8th again, a par 5, into the wind without any warm-up so I double-bogeyed that one. Parred the next though, and generally a bit hit-and-miss for the first nine holes, with the wind causing havoc.

Really kicked into gear on the second nine though. From the 17th round to the 7th I was only 2 over par, including one birdie after a full pitching wedge hit to two feet. Well chuffed, and thought I might have finally broken 80, put my score in after the last hole and checked - 80 on the nose, AGAIN. Getting silly now. 39 points for the win with my mates both getting 32.

Sunday
Rather hungover after my band's gig last night, I still agreed to go out and do nine holes with the wife, at Wexham green course. It was even bloody colder than yesterday, although less wind at least. I started horrendously, which is pretty standard for hungover golf. Scraped a few pars on the easiest holes but ended up with a pretty poor 43 for 14 points.

She also started horrendously, only nabbing 1 point for the first two holes, but she started to warm up and did well in the end. She even managed a par on the 8th and ended up shooting 57 for 20 points, which I was quite impressed with even though she wasn't! She still seems to focus on the bad rather than the good, and I'm struggling to get her out of that mindset. I was the same when I started playing though so I know it takes a while.

That's exactly where I'm at with my son. He's been naturally excellent at all sports prior to trying golf and he just can't get his head around how hard golf is. I find myself constantly telling him to accept the good bad shot and that golf is not a game of perfect. It's taking a while to sink in!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bogey comp today, game was a bit all over the place, either very good or very bad and nothing in between. Ended up +1 against the course, so reasonably happy.

One of the guys in our group was slow and I just couldn’t get any rhythm going, found myself rushing and being punished because my timing was off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bogey comp today, game was a bit all over the place, either very good or very bad and nothing in between. Ended up +1 against the course, so reasonably happy.

One of the guys in our group was slow and I just couldn’t get any rhythm going, found myself rushing and being punished because my timing was off.

Tough format in winter especially. We have one bogey event a year (36 holes on Saturday and Sunday over Easter) and that can be a real struggle. It's been described as matchplay against the course but I've never seen the course give a putt!!!!!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Tough format in winter especially. We have one bogey event a year (36 holes on Saturday and Sunday over Easter) and that can be a real struggle. It's been described as matchplay against the course but I've never seen the course give a putt!!!!!

Putting was actually one of the better things from today, saved me a little bit.

Just glad it wasn’t a medal, don’t think it would have been a counter

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
First round in a few weeks, best I’ve played in ages, drove the first green at 265, unheard off for me but just caught it right, then a really steady front 9, driving was great and used it for a couple of holes I normally wouldn’t and it paid off getting me closer to use higher irons, last few holes a struggle but I’m working nights and felt it in the end.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
shot a 37 for the front nine. Easy peasy. Loving my "new" clubs. The wifes first game this year. She shot 58 front nine. Once in gear was clouting the ball like she'd never been away. Three putted the course. Still, I kept me gob shut and a pleasant day ensued.:)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
84 for 33 points with 3 3 putts, famous old "what should have been a 78". I sent an early putt sailing past, the greens were cut and ironed yesterday so it rattled me a bit. After that I was mentally beat. 36 putts that should easily have been 31 or 32 - so frustrating as I know its more mental than technical.
Driver still excellent since switching to the stealth, Irons were good, there were several miscalculations for wind that got me into trouble. Chipping and putting very poor, I need to issue myself with an improvement notice... 50 putts a day on the putt out mat and get down the chipping green at least once a week!
After a couple of dry days with sunny spells I couldn't believe how much the ball was rolling out!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Steady 79 (+8) for 36 points in a very unusual southerly breeze which gusted 30mph at times..
Made the front 9 tricky as those holes are on that side of the hill, back 9 was fairly benign
Greens maintenance day on the front..they'd spiked, sanded and ironed them and they played faster and truer than those kn the back..back 9 being done tomorrow
No doubles today but no birdies either - just 7 or 8 putts that grazed the edge or had a look and didn't fancy the drop.
Tee to green was on point, short game a little ropey though....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only 17 holes open today, but played some of my best golf for ages. Gross 78 - compared to par of 64 for the 17. (Give or take 6 better than handicap). Really, really pleased with how I'm striking the ball at the mo'. Looked like real golf for a while. Was in a stableford comp' - got 40 pts but only got second place on countback (due to playing like a complete numpty for last three holes).