Hunstanton

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Currently letting it all hang out on Cala Mondrago beach. Its reminds me of Hunstanton. The beach not the course.

Not.

D

Deleted member 21258

Both. I've booked reviews in advance and also played 'unannounced' as a guest or in opens.

Edit: I'm reviewing 5 courses next week so I'll let you know how I get on.

Playing anywhere nice ? Busy week, cool :cool:

I have “mystery shopped” 8 courses already this year for review purposes. However, I have also contacted a few to play as a reviewer.

Luckily for me, I haven’t noticed a major difference as all the clubs have been welcoming and friendly irrespective of knowing I was a reviewer.

Thanks for the replies.

That's good to hear (y), as the welcome/experience is very different if you are part of a group or members guest or pre-booked with them knowing, so normal green fee basis is quite different.

Often find being with a woman and a junior(well he was!), that we can get different welcomes from the club/members(normally the lady members, give much more positive welcomes). When playing with the wife, it also shows how playable some of these courses are for a shorter hitting person(so for instance a place like sunningdale new or woodhall spa, have an number of holes that are unplayable, normally off the tee, and don't really ever read anything like that in any reviews, that you must be able to hit the ball x yards in the air)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Wow! Just read the OP.

I turned up on spec at Hunstanton about 25 years ago and asked if it would be possible to get on there at some point that later in the week. It wasn't a warm welcome, but not a bad one either. I guess it was just a bit indifferent. I turned up a few days later and, as asked, I presented my handicap cert. Low single figures got a change of tone and a good welcome, and I hate handicap snobbery, it rankled a little.

Playing as a single back then meant no status out on the course. I had no problem with that, and would happily stand aside. However, I can't say I was that chuffed when Colonel Blimp with his playing partner walked onto the 1st tee and blasted a ball past me from about 120yds, followed by a shout of playing through. I said "good morning" as he walked past, and hoped he'd ask me to join them. Without a glance, he replied "you having no standing out here."

The course was in great nick, and worth its reputation but it wasn't a club I'd have rushed back to because of my experiences with the staff and membership.

I dare say the staff and the membership has changed somewhat, and by all accounts the course is as good as ever. If I was around that way I wouldn't mind giving it another go but with Royal West Norfolk, Royal Cromer and Sheringham close by I'd play there again first.

D

Deleted member 21258

Do You pay full whack?

Think the silence in the replies, probably answers that question.

Not sure if that is a problem in itself tho, again it could change the experience as the club must at that stage know that a reviewer is there(which personally I think the club should not know). Myself I tend to read reviews from a number of sources rather than just trust one source such as GM.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The bit I don't get is; if as suggested the course is really for the members and it doesn't really want visitors & the price, tee times/days of play etc (and possibly even the level of service & general welcome) are all a reflection of this... Why bother

Just don't take visitors surely. Because as soon as you take a couple hundred squid from a visiting 2-ball you better dam well treat them like pseudo members for the few hours they're there

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Do You pay full whack?

How do you define full whack? Twilight, Open fee, two for one on Monday afternoons, society rates, members guest rates, Golfnow, or what the full ticket price is on the day in the pro shop? Does anyone pay this?

I doubt you get a special rate as a reviewer.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
How do you define full whack? Twilight, Open fee, two for one on Monday afternoons, society rates, members guest rates, Golfnow, or what the full ticket price is on the day in the pro shop? Does anyone pay this?

I don't know , that's why I asked. I'm curious to know how much it costs the reviewer, do they get any free rounds? Is any of the cost reclaimable? Do they play with members at vastly reduced rates?

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not sure if that is a problem in itself tho, again it could change the experience as the club must at that stage know that a reviewer is there(which personally I think the club should not know). Myself I tend to read reviews from a number of sources rather than just trust one source such as GM.

It was answered at 8.11 am.

If we approach the club its normally free, but if we play in opens, on meets etc will normally pay.

D

Deleted member 21258

The normal going rate for that tee time. Fairly simple it has to be the rate that is available to everyone, not just members or reviewers ;)(whether that is twilight, Golfnow or full rate or even county car, those are available almost to everyone).

I have paid full rate many times, playing some of the more expensive/exclusive courses, it is hard not to. For example, not easy to get summer twilight or deals on Loch Lomond or The European Club or Ballybunion or courses such as those.

Being signed and/or playing as a Members guest, society games, opens, for free or at reduced rates at the clubs option , changes experiences and perhaps could change course conditions(for an open as an example).

Anyway think I better not say anything else or it will be seen as a rant and for certain I am not ranting ;):giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::):) and being honest GM/golf clubs can do whatever they like, but for the green fee paying public such as me, it is nice to know the circumstance how these lists come about and on what basis they are drawn up, so I can make decisions based on that, Happy Days:coffee:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
To give an honest review, surely you just need to just book a tee time and let the day take care of its self??
If you're getting an audit at work, you are going to try and prepare for it and get ahead of the game, i'm sure golf clubs aren't that naive not to try and do a bit 'extra' if their course is getting reviewed......

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
To give an honest review, surely you just need to just book a tee time and let the day take care of its self??
If you're getting an audit at work, you are going to try and prepare for it and get ahead of the game, i'm sure golf clubs aren't that naive not to try and do a bit 'extra' if their course is getting reviewed......
As mentioned previously the welcome and staff form only a small part of the process. The design, test, condition and presentation of the course forms the bulk of the review and I doubt that any course will have the inclination or ability to change those for a reviewers planned visit.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
As mentioned previously the welcome and staff form only a small part of the process. The design, test, condition and presentation of the course forms the bulk of the review and I doubt that any course will have the inclination or ability to change those for a reviewers planned visit.

Just my opinion in what i think would be a fair review if taking all things into consideration, i'm aware that the golf course would be the main part of the review, but even then a good boss would be out checking the course before hand and have a meeting with the staff, its just basic business sense.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Design, test, condition and presentation should be all its about and that is why golf course reviews are nonsense.

It's a review of the course not the club.

Anyway I don't want to take this further off track. Hopefully whoever next plays Hunstanton gives us their views. Never played it and to be honest it's never been on my radar either.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Design, test, condition and presentation should be all its about and that is why golf course reviews are nonsense.

It's a review of the course not the club.

Anyway I don't want to take this further off track. Hopefully whoever next plays Hunstanton gives us their views. Never played it and to be honest it's never been on my radar either.
No mag etc is going to come out and say club x was awful and a dump no more than they will rip in to the latest TM driver release. It's the circle of life 😉

D

Deleted Member 1156

The first time I played Hunstanton was on a trip with 5 other guys. Unfortunately one of them hurt his back a couple of days before and had to drop out. I knew in advance it was a 2ball course so I rang the secretary and explained the situation. Guess what, couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. He allowed us to play as a 2 and a 3, just make sure we called anyone through behind us.
If you approach people in a polite manner they generally respond the same way.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I would also expect other golf magazines to get courtesy also, so still the same dynamic, I would have thought.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
"Hi, I'm here to review the course for a golf magazine."

Let me think about how that is going to influence the reception, courtesy etc etc.

Of course it would, surprised your surprised.

Like a lot of things, people can criticise, but when asked for solutions or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, they suddenly wont put as much effort in.

A bit like the average football fan - we need a new left back - okay name one thats available, the right price, you've actually seen play, errrrrrrr.............