How you view brands of clubs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unbelievable.........

Did he win any nearest the pin prizes ?

He wins a few, we have 2 nearest pins now in replacement of the longest drive

His idea to drop it as he didn’t see it fair .. that and he had won too many balls 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you have that aswell a brand you want to play one day like a dream brand? Mine was Titleist irons and wedges.. for my 30th couple years ago I upgraded to Titleist iron and wedges . They are as good as any other GI iron but in your head makes you feel good
No, not in the slightest. Since I get all my stuff second hand I could be using any of the main brands I wanted to anyway. I tried some AP1s when I got my irons, and they were pretty good but I just preferred the Callaway XR Steelheads. I have a soft spot for the Mizuno JPXs because they're still game improvement but they look a bit nicer than most - but I've got no intention of replacing my irons in the near future. Generally looks don't matter to me as I just want to use the bats that are easiest to hit.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If buying....

Driver/Fairway - happy to try any.

Hybrids - happy to try any.

Irons - would start with Mizuno.

Wedges - would start with Mizuno/Cleveland/Titleist

Putter - would start with Evnroll, then anything else milled

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, not in the slightest. Since I get all my stuff second hand I could be using any of the main brands I wanted to anyway. I tried some AP1s when I got my irons, and they were pretty good but I just preferred the Callaway XR Steelheads. I have a soft spot for the Mizuno JPXs because they're still game improvement but they look a bit nicer than most - but I've got no intention of replacing my irons in the near future. Generally looks don't matter to me as I just want to use the bats that are easiest to hit.
Fair enough 👌 I’ve always fancied Titleist and I’m glad I discovered their game improvement irons lol

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
TaylorMade - Chav clubs.
Callaway - not far off Taylor made,
Wouldn’t advertise the above with a matching bag.

Ping - some ugly, some nice clubs, but underrated at my club

Titleist - the epitome of the classy golfer. Commands respect with the easy on the eye, non offensive designs. 2 year release schedule on clubs so Titleist have time to think about designs but didn’t think about the TS2/3

Wilson Staff - Best looking blades on market. Underrated. Make awful looking cavity backs.

PXG. No reason to buy these unless you want to look like you have money. Disguised Pings to make you look pompous. Ugly. Price doesn’t reflect performance.

Honma - who? Japanese brand. Suddenly included in forum lists because Justin Rose plays them. Never seen them. Heard they’re expensive. For the tool of the golf club. Player will have matching emblazoned bag, and will be dying to tell you about how they’re designed in a 3rd century old samurai sword metal works, by the relative of some sort of great sensei. Konichiwa.

Srixon/Cleveland - under the radar, respectable brands. Player likes an easy life, no hassle, no Bs, no frills.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
TaylorMade - Chav clubs.
Callaway - not far off Taylor made,
Wouldn’t advertise the above with a matching bag.

Ping - some ugly, some nice clubs, but underrated at my club

Titleist - the epitome of the classy golfer. Commands respect with the easy on the eye, non offensive designs. 2 year release schedule on clubs so Titleist have time to think about designs but didn’t think about the TS2/3

Wilson Staff - Best looking blades on market. Underrated. Make awful looking cavity backs.

PXG. No reason to buy these unless you want to look like you have money. Disguised Pings to make you look pompous. Ugly. Price doesn’t reflect performance.

Honma - who? Japanese brand. Suddenly included in forum lists because Justin Rose plays them. Never seen them. Heard they’re expensive. For the tool of the golf club. Player will have matching emblazoned bag, and will be dying to tell you about how they’re designed in a 3rd century old samurai sword metal works, by the relative of some sort of great sensei. Konichiwa.

Srixon/Cleveland - under the radar, respectable brands. Player likes an easy life, no hassle, no Bs, no frills.
Honma have been around for years. I actually think it’s peoples ignorance of only looking at brands for sale in American golf.

Last edited:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Honma have been around for years. I actually think it’s peoples ignorance of people only looking at brands for sale in American golf.
But the vast majority of golfers only look at the main manufacturers stocked in places like AG.. I have to be honest, I was aware of Honma but have never seen anyone using them or even stocking them.. I'd love to know what their market share is over here.. I'd bet it's comfortably less than 1%.. Hardly surprising that they aren't considered..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But the vast majority of golfers only look at the main manufacturers stocked in places like AG.. I have to be honest, I was aware of Honma but have never seen anyone using them or even stocking them.. I'd love to know what their market share is over here.. I'd bet it's comfortably less than 1%.. Hardly surprising that they aren't considered..

You could add Muira to the list of exotics.

D

Deleted member 18588

Honma have been around for years. I actually think it’s peoples ignorance of people only looking at brands for sale in American golf.

Not just ignorance but also jealousy.

People who cannot afford PXG & Honma being dismissive and sarcastic yet I very much doubt that they have ever tried either brand

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
Be interesting to see some handicaps listed with these comments. Me and several other single figure handicappers play ping irons at my club and we are neither old or have trouble hitting the ball.

I'm a firm believer that there isn't much different between brands, they are all maxed by regulations anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be interesting to see some handicaps listed with these comments. Me and several other single figure handicappers play ping irons at my club and we are neither old or have trouble hitting the ball.

I'm a firm believer that there isn't much different between brands, they are all maxed by regulations anyway.
I agree, but this is about people's perceptions, which can be affected by the slightest thing. Quite an enlightening topic actually - some of these brands would pay good money for this kind of market research!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Until I tried Titleist I was always under the impression they were a low handicapper club

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
PXG - for 'new money' golfers and Americans.
Honma - you mean Honda? They make cars mate, not golf stuff.
Nike - not a golf brand, used by Chavs and Americans.
Taylormade - brilliant at marketing, not great at making clubs. Had a few of their drivers/woods but doubt I'll ever go back.
Callaway - similar marketing led brand to TM. Cloggers clubs.
Cleveland - only make wedges.
Srixon - only make balls.
Ping - Proper golf brand but only make irons and putters. Ping eye 2 and the putters were the dream clubs as a kid. Never actually owned anything Ping, thought that would change when I bought new irons recently but didn't like them.
Titleist - Proper golf brand. Their clubs never appealed to me but since a Titleist Thursday I've become a convert to all things Titleist.
Cobra - New kids on the block. I liked all their stuff I've hit, own a hybrid and driver but think they'll be Titleist soon as their hybrid was miles better.
Wilson - clinging on to the former glory days.
Benross - who? For the tight/OAPs

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Not just ignorance but also jealousy.

People who cannot afford PXG & Honma being dismissive and sarcastic yet I very much doubt that they have ever tried either brand

I haven’t tried either brand. Neither have I tried TaylorMade, Cleveland, srixon or Wilson staff. It’s how I view the brands of the clubs which is what the OP asks.
I’m sure they function the same as any other lofted lump of metal on a stick.

D

Deleted member 18588

I haven’t tried either brand. Neither have I tried TaylorMade, Cleveland, srixon or Wilson staff. It’s how I view the brands of the clubs which is what the OP asks.
I’m sure they function the same as any other lofted lump of metal on a stick.

And yet you "know" so much about people who play those two particular brands.

How very perceptive of you.