How you view brands of clubs

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On nights this week with my main golfing partner and we got debating how we view clubs.. as in brands .. like when going for a fitting or looking at clubs what clubs do we personally think yeah those are the brands I want to play or those no thank you..

Mine go like this

Pxg and homna in the stupidly expensive would rather buy something else department

Titleist and Mizuno for me have that class appeal. Titliest is all round.. woods beautiful . Irons very clash. Vokey wedges spot on and scottys are lovely.. Mizuno though much more the iron club for me personally.. not even something that springs to mind when thinking woods..

TaylorMade and callaway next .. marmite woods.. bit gimmicky at times and irons wise I like callaway but personally can’t stand TaylorMade irons

Cobra and Wilson staff next.. make such good clubs that fly very much under the radar at times! Stuff that is cheaper than the bigger brands but just as good

Obviously you go the sirxons, Cleveland’s etc of the golfing world that excel in one area ( balls and wedges) and just don’t think of them for other things

Now here is where we couldn’t agree.. ping.. a brand I have played many times and like.. I’d put them in the cobra and Wilson bracket.. underrated and not got the instant “sex appeal” however my mate was pushing to up there with Mizuno and Titleist

What’s people’s views? How do you arrange each brand?

Obviously everyone will think differently but be interested to see if anyone can pin point an agreed status quo for any of them

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
PXG / Honma - silly expensive. Boom baby, my arse.

Titeleist / Ping - class, quality

Taylormade - Overhyped but still good quality. Injected twistface, oh FFS!

Mizuno - Good rep but slip off my radar, just a bit 'meh' to me

Cobra - Excellent clubs, don't quite have the brand clique yet. Good value

Wilson - More people should probably buy these, as with Cobra

Benross - Beginners, sensible & decent quality.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Everything is relative.

I know what I like and I know what I dislike. Would I buy PXG if I had the money and after testing/fitting they were the best for me - absolutely 100%. Would be crazy not to.

D

Deleted member 15344

PXG, Homna etc - are all superbly made clubs but expensive- lovely to hit though

Mizuno , Titleist and Srixon - lovely players irons , have a mix of good forgiving irons , soft playing irons - they are prob the irons most low HC amateurs use

Callaway , Taylor Made and Cobra - more know for the Woods which I suspect are the better selling clubs but also make very good irons

Wilson , Benross - both make good club forgiving irons

Ping - can’t swing go ping 😉 - they are prob the most common used irons and woods for the mid to high HC golfer and no disrespect the older guys.

Putters - Scotty , TM , Odessey and Ping are you regular putters that people use

Wedges - Vokey , Cleveland are the two main ones

The good news is there is so much choice for everyone depending on what budget people have

For me the perfect set up ( and one I have 😀😉)

Woods - TM
Irons - Mizuno
Wedges - Vokey
Putter - Scotty

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now here is where we couldn’t agree.. ping.. a brand I have played many times and like.. I’d put them in the cobra and Wilson bracket.. underrated and not got the instant “sex appeal” however my mate was pushing to up there with Mizuno and Titleist

What’s people’s views? How do you arrange each brand?

Obviously everyone will think differently but be interested to see if anyone can pin point an agreed status quo for any of them

Have you seen the new Ping Irons? They look fab! :love:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
From the glory years of club design (late 1950s to 1980s):

Woods - MacGregor, Wood Bros.
Irons - MacGregor, Wilson
Putter - Just a weight on a stick, if it feels okay for you then any old thing will do.

UK clubs
Woods - No stand out manufacturer
Irons - Slazenger, Dunlop, John Letters
Putter - Just a weight on a stick, if it feels okay for you then any old thing will do.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
As other have already said.

Irons - Titleist or Mizuno. Would never play Ping
Woods - TM or Titleist.
Wedges - Vokey
Putter - odyssey or maybe someone like Bettinardi.

What I'd never buy - Ping, TM irons (again).

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with pretty much all of that OP.

No one mentioned Adams. Hybrid leaders for years.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ah, yes, you mean Westwood and Jimenez I guess..
Or did you mean Matt Wallace and Tyrell Hatton....
Wish I had trouble swinging a club like them.

For goodness sake - it’s a joke and it’s even a saying the local ping rep uses , blimey get a grip. Ping are superb clubs for the club golfer hence why they are very popular and in most if not all pro shops

Don't feed the trolls.

Let's face it Oosthuizen has the worst swing on tour!

Trolls ? From you craw it’s almost a compliment

Wolf

Visit site
PXG - Honma, nice looking very well made, pricey but if you have the money to have them custom fit probably we'll worth the spend.

Mizuno - quality irons for looks, feel and workability, in recent years added some good game improvement stuff too without sacrificing quality or style.

Titleist & Srixon nice looking players clubs but for some reason don't really register on my radar, also I find the Vokey Wedges massively overrated for feel, looks and performance. I have 2 in my bag that I can't wait to replace hopefully soon.

Ping - Good quality irons with plenty of forgiveness, think the irons look stunning and a big fan of their woods for forgiveness and performance. I'd put them up personally as one of the best manufacturers.

Callaway & Cobra - Superb Woods, lovely looking and feeling irons, Cobra I think often overlooked for their irons which look and play well. Am also a big fan of the Callaway Mac Daddy Wedges for looks and feel.

Wilson Staff - real good quality irons, at a superb price would definetly look to add to my bag if I was changing clubs..

TM- must be something good about them to be used by so many but do nothing for me and probably the last clubs I'd look at

Putters - take your pick doesn't matter the manufacturer to me its all about how it feels to the person.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I look beyond the branding and try really hard to avoid any bias.

Will try anything and, within a very wide range (impossibly wide for many posting here) will play anything that works for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
How you perceive brands will be vastly swayed by what you like/use.
But..

PXG etc - as per most others. Expensive and if you can afford it, great.

Titleist/Mizuno - both brands strike me as striving for the better player and throw a quick nod to the higher handicapper almost as an afterthought.

Ping/Callaway. Jacks of all trades....something for everyone. Good quality

TM. Trying to be like Ping/Callaway but, up until very recently, haven't had the irons

Srixon/Cobra - coming up fast on the rails. Good quality all round.

Wilson - still suffering from the hangover of falling into the "box set" mentality that killed many brands but improving.