How would you improve the Masters?

peld

Visit site
id like to see them really mix up the course during the week, especially the tee. Im sure one year they played the 16th off the ladies tee , never really seen that again. Would be good to see some variety on holes where changes like that make a major difference

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm doing a feature the website on this and looking for a bundle of ideas on how Augusta could be improved?

What would you like to see more of?

How could the coverage be improved?

How could the eligibility be improved?

What don't you like about the course? (Personally don't like the Sunday pin at 16 but am probably a lone voice here)

Which traditions don't you like?

Anything else?

Cheers

Not a lot to be honest, I love the Masters and buy into nearly all of it - including the Patrons, the boiler suits, the honorary starters etc. None of that offends me.

The history of the place is questionable and the work to address that will obviously never be complete; but Masters week is a thing in our house now with the Women's amateur the weekend before; the Drive, Chip, Putt; the Par 3 competition etc. It feels like this event has evolved more than the others - I appreciate the eligibility criteria but over the course of the week it feels more inclusive (to me anyway). Even the advances & embracing of technology, with the 3D shot tracker, videos of every shot (albeit on delay) etc., feels like a stuffy old game has been brought into the 21st Century whilst still remaining stuffy. International live coverage could be improved.

Coverage is subjective - I no longer agree with the clamour for BBC to have more sport, I feel the BBC has ran its course and is struggling to reinvent itself either sufficiently or quick enough. It lacked competition for so long that it finds itself unable to compete with other providers (in terms of talent, presentation, accessibility, etc.), with the exception of BBC Sport radio as a medium which I think is still ranked highly (in my opinion).

If anything it feels like they're starting to overthink the play-ability of the course to try and keep some records intact / create competition over the weekend etc. It's not a US Open, just make it pretty to look at, have fast greens and let the run-offs take your ball into the water.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Reduce it to15 holes so I do not have to stay up so late to watch the finish or add strokes to all those players that take more than 4 hours to complete the round:ROFLMAO:

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I just think they have the opportunity to invite other players, who have a chance to at least be competitive. If not why not reward some more top amateur players? Anything but Sandy Lyle in those silly braces trying to break 80
But if Seve was still alive , and an odd shot him playing out of the trees or holing a putt everyone would love it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I no longer agree with the clamour for BBC to have more sport, I feel the BBC has ran its course and is struggling to reinvent itself either sufficiently or quick enough. It lacked competition for so long that it finds itself unable to compete with other providers (in terms of talent, presentation, accessibility, etc.), with the exception of BBC Sport radio as a medium which I think is still ranked highly (in my opinion).
After the initial clamour for commercial TV to 'steal' coverage that the Beeb had pretty much a monopoly of, I'm certain BBC looked at Sport on a 'cost per viewer' basis to justify, or drop/not bid for. Golf coverage can't be justified on that basis imo.
Presentation/Talent is a matter of taste - some will love or hate whoever fronts/assists.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was going to suggest cutting the field to 48 players, reducing it to 3 days and of course making it a shotgun start so the whole day only takes about 5 hours. However, as that's already been thought of, I'd leave it more or less as it is. Regarding former champions, they don't have to take up the invite, and the ones with a true regard for the game know when their time has passed.

Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Full tv coverage

Ditch the boiler suits for the caddies

Ditch the full exemption for past winners and limit it to 10 years, 15 max

End the language restrictions, they have spectators, they have rough etc but woe betide anyone say that :rolleyes:
Agree with the language part. Having to use the word patrons, rather than fans or spectators, just makes the place seem elitist and too full of its own importance.

Raziren

Visit site
- seeing Sandy Lyle turn up every year to collect his pension irritates me. just give him his last place losers money and give his spot to someone else. It's one of the smaller fields anyway & it feels like almost half the field have no chance of winning.
- if you wear braces you should be evicted from the course
- a few different camera angles to those we've seen forever would be nice. agree with someones comment that drones offer this
- i hear if you plant your chair there early in the day, no one will touch it. It's no different to the Germans & towels at the pool (do they really do this?). selfish - chuck them in a pond.
- i look forward to it though - the masters in Spring to me each year is when winter is officially over & summer isnt far off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But if Seve was still alive , and an odd shot him playing out of the trees or holing a putt everyone would love it

I disagree. Anyone who saw him in his pomp wouldn't really enjoy him struggling on every hole as his back hurt him. Yes he'd play the odd miracle shot but its the same with Seve as it is with Lyle and why watch him struggle. It doesn't tarnish his achievements but it would feel voyueristic on a man fighting his ability and body and not sure that is good viewing

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The question is how would "I" improve the Masters. In that case, it matters not-a-jot if no one in the world agrees with me.

I would change the venue to Virginia Water (along with a change in ownership of said venue) and have all 4 days live on the BBC.
It would be renamed "The World Masters" or "The Masters" dropping the "US" bit.

No more green jackets and no stupid par-3 comp that no one takes seriously anyway.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The question is how would "I" improve the Masters. In that case, it matters not-a-jot if no one in the world agrees with me.

I would change the venue to Virginia Water (along with a change in ownership of said venue) and have all 4 days live on the BBC.
It would be renamed "The World Masters" or "The Masters" dropping the "US" bit.

No more green jackets and no stupid par-3 comp that no one takes seriously anyway.

It’s not called the US Masters. It’s the Masters Tournament.

Just like the Open Championship isn’t the British Open.

The par 3 isn’t supposed to be taken seriously. I thought the whole point of it was that it was fun, and a bit of light relief before the main event.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If the talk was going old school clubs then Langer will have a mare as he has putting issues and only solved when he went to the broom handle

Anyone who thinks Langer would stand a chance against younger players using old school equipment must be smoking whatever the guy in the fat people thread has.