How would you have reacted? 2

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly, you have no idea what the correct action is that needs to be taken to decide the outcome of this tie yet are happy to go with mob rule!

Ok mob rule isn't the right description but fun to type :D

Competition rule in out place is to allow matches to filter in - every club I have been too has been the same.

Thankfully most golfers I have played golf with would use the common sense and follow general etiquette and allow them to filter in and finish their match

And also thankfully that appears to be the majority view on here also.

And yes even if the competition doesn't have priority then if all groups are happy to allow them through then yes that's using common sense - regardless what the starter says.

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
From my perspective, I've seen enough "we know better" attitude on this thread to uphold my opinion of some golfers. The only real fact is the only person authorised to make an informed judgement did so - and the majority of people seem to feel the need to ignore it, even though they weren't there or knew nothing (other than the OP's drip-fed information) of the situation.
Maybe if you can't agree with the decision of an appointed representative of a club or at least respect it, then maybe it really is time to find another club OP.

D

Deleted member 15344

From my perspective, I've seen enough "we know better" attitude on this thread to uphold my opinion of some golfers. The only real fact is the only person authorised to make an informed judgement did so - and the majority of people seem to feel the need to ignore it, even though they weren't there or knew nothing (other than the OP's drip-fed information) of the situation.
Maybe if you can't agree with the decision of an appointed representative of a club or at least respect it, then maybe it really is time to find another club OP.

So now it's just some golfers as opposed to competition playing golfers ?

Well I have also met the odd golfer with the attitude and judgement you have announced on us all and in my experience it is very much the smallest minority and certainly isn't restricted to someone playing a competition.

Actually I believe the players can also make their own judgement by following golfing etiquette and allowing a quicker group through :thup:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coming in right at the end, and skipped a lot of pages. At our place, matches coming off the 18th requiring extra holes have priority over any groups on the first tee. I would have assumed that it would be the same (or similar) to other clubs...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
1 Competition rule in out place is to allow matches to filter in - every club I have been too has been the same.

Thankfully most golfers I have played golf with would use the common sense and follow general etiquette and allow them to filter in and finish their match

2 And also thankfully that appears to be the majority view on here also.

And yes even if the competition doesn't have priority then if all groups are happy to allow them through then yes that's using common sense - regardless what the starter says.

My 1st bold: and really you need to preface your advice with this comment instead of "surely you have the right to go in front of the waiting people"

Just because its been decided this way by the committee on courses where you've noticed, it does not make it a national or global competition policy

Any variant by A.N Other club comp committee to your clubs 'popular' method leaves the potential for a breach (in regards tee priority probably not so serious a punishment but in regards to say, stipulating the play-off holes etc then it could be a DQ)

My 2nd bold: that's just crying out for me to be able to write mob rule again :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Actually they filter in - they don't just jump straight to the front unless the groups offer normally will filter behind the first group waiting .

And as for it being national - with the reaction on here bar one it appears the forums golf clubs and members bar one follow the same common sense and etiquette in regards play offs for tied matchplay matches.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In a nutshell, all the sane, regular golfers playing at decent clubs, have posted that it would be normal for a group having to play extra holes, in order to conclude a proper competition, to be given a waive through on the tee.

Nemicu clearly disagrees, as is his right to do, but, has decided to be extremely rude about competitive players at clubs and to create scenarios that never existed to support his view (as pointed out by Phil) . There is no way we'll ever agree but I just hope that Nemicu never ever applies to join the club I belong to with his attitude!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Actually they filter in - they don't just jump straight to the front unless the groups offer normally will filter behind the first group waiting .

And as for it being national - with the reaction on here bar one it appears the forums golf clubs and members bar one follow the same common sense and etiquette in regards play offs for tied matchplay matches.

Post #2

D

Deleted member 15344

Again that's my view as oppose to what happens at our club

At the end of the day through all the huffing and puffing it appears most golfers and clubs follow the common sense and etiquette path - and hopefully will continue to do so

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Again that's my view as oppose to what happens at our club

At the end of the day through all the huffing and puffing it appears most golfers and clubs follow the common sense and etiquette path - and hopefully will continue to do so

Actually its just as true to say it appears most golfers and clubs follow the Club Competition Rules - and hopefully will continue to do so

It is not etiquette to follow the rules

[huff] If it makes you feel better about yourself to think you are using good etiquette then go nuts but all you are doing is following a rule [puff]

D

Deleted member 15344

Actually its just as true to say it appears most golfers and clubs follow the Club Competition Rules - and hopefully will continue to do so

It is not etiquette to follow the rules

[huff] If it makes you feel better about yourself to think you are using good etiquette then go nuts but all you are doing is following a rule [puff]

Unless the club has no rules stipulating priority on a tee for comps or even before a certain time ( think its 11 at weekend for us ) but still allow them through - that's called common sense and etiquette :thup:

And bringing in any rules from the committee in regards priority will also be showing common sense and etiquette by allowing them to finish and to filter in when playing extra holes when needed.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Unless the club has no rules stipulating priority on a tee for comps or even before a certain time ( think its 11 at weekend for us ) but still allow them through - that's called common sense and etiquette :thup:

And bringing in any rules from the committee in regards priority will also be showing common sense and etiquette by allowing them to finish and to filter in when playing extra holes when needed.

Phew, its a good thing we're discussing something that your comp committee does have a rule for then isn't it... and the fact that your view on tee priority differs somewhat from your clubs is for you to deal with

D

Deleted member 15344

Phew, its a good thing we're discussing something that your comp committee does have a rule for then isn't it... and the fact that your view on tee priority differs somewhat from your clubs is for you to deal with

My club rule gives them priority when starting on the first after 11Am at weekends

During the week it is left to the discretion of the membership

For extra holes the match must go to the relevant tee they started from and then filter in normally behind the first group waiting but the membership use their common sense and let them go off ASAP to ensure no delay for them - that is how I believe it should be done following the common sense approach.

Being on the comp committee myself I have yet to be told of one single complaint or issue being caused so it appears it works and our approach appears to work.

Great work from membership and committee alike - would you like to drag any other points around ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have 2 ball shutes white for ties yellow for non comp games, alternate between shutes. There could be 10 balls in the yellow shute but if you arrive and place a ball in the white shute , you will be next on the tee.
Once on the course ties are normally asked if they wish to play through . I posted a few weeks ago re my tie going into extra time, when we were immediately given priority back at the 1st without asking.

It Might have been different story if there had been a visiting party already started teeing off, we would not break up a party :whistle:.

I hope your PP is now your EX PP.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My club rule gives them priority when starting on the first after 11Am at weekends

For extra holes the match must go to the relevant tee they started from and then filter in normally behind the first group waiting but the membership use their common sense and let them go off ASAP to ensure no delay for them - that is how I believe it should be done following the common sense approach.

Being on the comp committee myself I have yet to be told of one single complaint or issue being caused so it appears it works and our approach appears to work.

Great work from membership and committee alike - would you like to drag any other points around ?

I'm not sure whether we have a rule or not, although I believe not in the case of playing extra holes.

The reason .............. because no one at our place would be ignorant enough to stand in the way of a match going into extra time, so manners and etiquette prevail !!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

You and I both it would appear!

Ok:

Phil’s stated view: “you have the right to go in front of the waiting people”
Phil’s stated Club rule: “Competition rule in our place is to allow matches to filter in”

Your ‘view’ caused nemicu to challenge this (still unsupported) ‘right’ you talked about

Your view on what you think should be your ‘right’ became ‘good etiquette’ in later posts which then became ‘common sense’ which weirdly actually made you correct (eventually)...

Of course its common sense... but it never was your 'right' and claiming it as such shows unsavory etiquette

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not sure whether we have a rule or not, although I believe not in the case of playing extra holes.

The reason .............. because no one at our place would be ignorant enough to stand in the way of a match going into extra time, so manners and etiquette prevail !!

And that sums it up in one :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

You and I both it would appear!

Ok:

Phil’s stated view: “you have the right to go in front of the waiting people”
Phil’s stated Club rule: “Competition rule in our place is to allow matches to filter in”

Your ‘view’ caused nemicu to challenge this (still unsupported) ‘right’ you talked about

Your view on what you think should be your ‘right’ became ‘good etiquette’ in later posts which then became ‘common sense’ which weirdly actually made you correct (eventually)...

Of course its common sense... but it never was your 'right' and claiming it as such shows unsavory etiquette

Excellent all sorted then :thup: